I-9 Question, H-1 B Visa/Green Card

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-23-07 AT 06:46AM (CST)[/font][br][br]We have an applicant who states that his H-1 B visa expired, but he has applied for a green card. He says he has recently gotten a new job.

The I-9 directions state that "if an employee is unable to present the required documentation within 3 busines days...the employee may produce a receipt showing that he applied for the document....The employee must present the actual receipt within 90 days of hire."

I am confused as to whether this person is eligible to work in the U.S. - it appears that he doesn't have the documents required by the I-9, but the statement about a receipt of application is confusing me. Does someone who applies for a green card get a receipt, and would a receipt satisfy the I-9 requirements...I wouldn't think all applications are approved.

ETA: He has now sent us a copy of an Employment Authorization Card that expires next year and says that he has a drivers license and social security card. But I'd still like to see an answer about the receipt issue for future reference. Thanks.

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have a similar situation & I would be interested in seeing responses to DGSHR's question.
  • Based on my understanding, if he can provide proof that he has applied for the green card, that can suffice for 90 days but once he receives the green card he has to provide you with that. I honestly don't know how long it takes to get a green card, but to be on the safe side, I would contact the DOL or a labor attorney and ask thier advice.

• Hello DGSHR,

You have a complicated situation on your hands. I spoke with one of our immigration experts, Pamela Mick of Zulkie Partners LLC (pmick@zulkipartners.com) and she offered these basics:

First of all, the employee MUST have a valid EAD for I-9 purposes. Receipts are not an option. The "green card" receipt is not a work authorization document. An individual in the green card process is eligible at a certain point to apply for an EAD. The EAD is the work authorization document.

Second, an individual in H-1B or L status can work on an EXTENSION receipt notice as long as the extension was filed prior to the expiration of the status.

I hope this is helpful.

Anne Williams
    Group Publisher
    M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC
  • DGSHR: One very important thing that you and others must remember, you can not do anything while the person is an applicant. He has recently gotten a new job, if it is not with your company, then push it aside until he is an employee of your company and you have before you a completed I-9. Now you have some concerns, if you are like me, I take the I-9 and go into the on-line employer verification system and input the data from the I-9, according to the individuals submission, which I have simply viewed his/her completion of the I-9 and signed my name to the fact that this person was as signed and visually saw the documents and the data is as posted on the card and now the completed I-9 is ready for verification. After getting on-line with our government and entering the data straight from the I-9, I wait maybe 5 seconds and up will pop an authorization to employee or a non-confirm that the data entered is not matching up. Depending on the outcome of the inquiry the employee is enrolled and sent to work. If not enrolled, the program will kick out letters of instruction and referral that maybe an issue. The individual is welcomed on-board or the individual is suspended from work and provided 15 days to go to the referral office with our letter and the errors are checked out and corrections made. If the individual does not come back I resolve the case as a "voluntary Quit", or "self termination of the inquiry".

Sense getting on board, the system has not provided any errors. I have caused a few errors because my fingers type in information not contained on the I-9;when I type it right the system has not failed 1 time out of over 300 inquires.

Guess what, I have no fears at all of our enrollments of foreign nationals. 100% of all enrollees have an I-9 and attached to the I-9 is my governments seal of approval with a specific case number assigned for anyone to verify.

Illegals do not come my way, so I do not have any concerns as long as we process every single new employee the same way that we processed the last new employee.

"The Basic Pilot Program" is the program name, I recommend you get your company on-board and using the system. If someone can not complete the I-9 and present the authorized documents, we suspend the enrollment process until they are able to complete the I-9 properly.

PORK
  • PORK,

As a component of the Basic Pilot program, did you need to consent to a government audit of your records? It is my understanding that the audit component of the Basic Pilot program is what makes employers, and immigration attorneys, hesitant. I'm interested to hear how that worked for your company.

Anne Williams
    Attorney Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC
  • I'm not answering for Pork, but I'm sure it was the information furnished through the Basic Pilot program that ICE (new acronym for Immigration) used to conduct the Swift & Company raids. They used the info to find the fraudulent users and identity theives. That is the info that is still not available to employers.

• ALLSTEAKS: "that is the info that is still not available to employers". What info that is not available to employers? The only info I need is "authoriztion to employee" or the "non-confirmed" and the identify of the mismatch of SSA information or the USIS data bank information.

What the SSA or USIS gain from our use of the Basic Pilot System is not a concern for me. Infact, I hope they are using this information in some form, but I seriously doubt they do anything with our data input.

PORK
  • Anne: Yes, and I am ready should they ever come to check. I have set up our recordkeeping, according to the plan. I have chosen to keep this program open to only me. That way I know what is being submitted and when it is submitted. I came to this program by being an on-line verification of the SSN test company, a trial program set-up by SSA. Social Security did come and visit. They gave me a random selection of SSNs and I had to produce the records of these 12 verifications. I did and they were very satisfied of our participation.

While here, I discussed a need to 1st find out what the real number of illegal immigrants. Followed by a discussion of the next piece and that was the link to USIS data banks. They then gave me the link to the Basic Pilot Program; I jumped in with both feet and my letter crunching fingers. While I had to sign an open ended agreement (MOU)before I could get into the program, it was done with e-mail and the final signature being furnished to DHS and I am happy that I did. If one follows the agreement one could not have to worry about signing an agreement, as required. The benefit far out shined the current system of validation of just the SSN and never validating the other parts of the I-9. This program was originally set up for the government hiring practices shortly after the I-9 was signed into law. DHS/USCIS set up a way for for the private companies to slip in to their already proven system and get verification accomplished from the I-9 data submitted and verified by the employer. It worked from the start and I have communicated with the Basic Pilot Prgram staff.

I have communicated to our government heads about the power of this system and the one piece, I requested, has not been given! It is the verification of all employees, instead of just the new hires.

PORK
  • The piece that Basic Pilot is missing is the ability to identify fraudulent use of another person's name and SSN. You are correct that you have all the info you need to make a legal hire and your company has no liability if that person later is shown to be using stolen identification. Where it hurt Swift and Co., which was an original signatory to the Basic Pilot program, was ICE finding so many of the employees legitimately hired using Basic Pilot were using stolen identities. It didn't cause Swift to receive any fines but it temporarily crippled their production capability.
  • ALLSTEAKS: I find it very strange that I have not had one single person that has been verified and hired, to then be identified as using stolen ID information. Instead, I have found that 99% of the non-confirmed have been referred and have never returned. We have had only one Hispanic male that has passed the I-9 verification and continued to enrollment. He is a very good worker and has learned the production system and works circles around many of our other employees.

If he is illegal, then it will be the US Government that identifies his papers as being fraudulent and not me!

Pork
  • Allsteaks was correct in that Swift used the Basic Pilot program to the letter and did everything correctly only to find out later they did have illegals.

The Basic Pilot program is only as good as the data we/they have to work with and that is the problem everyone is having with it. Who is responsible for maintaining the data? Who is responsible for making the corrections, updates and additions to the data? I'm not an expert on this which is why I asked because it's an important issue and one that is avoided. If we are to use this program, we shouldn't have to worry about second guessing ourselves about the validity or integrity of the data.
  • I heard an estimate yesterday that it was going to cost USA over 2 1/2 TRILLION dollars to get the Immigration bill up and working. As I am sure we all know, the government has never come in under budget. (I wonder how many levels of red tape there will be.)
    I think they need to hire all of us HR folks and let us handle it and it should be much more reasonable.
    Ellen
    E Wart
  • I have only heard small bites of what's going on with the Senate's debate on Immigration. Anyone have any news other than hearsay?