90 day probationary period

I am updating our employment handbook and am in need of language on a 90-day probationary period. Does anyone have anything they'd be willing to share?

We verbally tell all new hires that they are under a 90-day period, but we want to include that language in our handbook. We are in at "At Will" state, but it never hurts to CYA!

Thanks!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • >I am updating our employment handbook and am in
    >need of language on a 90-day probationary
    >period. Does anyone have anything they'd be
    >willing to share?
    >
    >We verbally tell all new hires that they are
    >under a 90-day period, but we want to include
    >that language in our handbook. We are in at "At
    >Will" state, but it never hurts to CYA!
    >
    >Thanks!

Here is the wording that I currently use, hope this helps.

NOTIFICATION OF 90-DAY INTRODUCTORY PERIOD

Company Name Inc. and/or its affiliates require an employee to go through a 90-day introductory period of employment. This notice informs you that your performance will be carefully monitored during this initial period of employment, and your employment status will be considered temporary until this 90 day introductory period has expired. If you take any time off during this 90-day period it will be unpaid. If your performance meets Company Name.’s requirements, the Company will then, at its own discretion, consider changing your employment status to regular full time. If your performance does not satisfy Company Name Inc. management during this period, it may be deemed grounds for dismissal regardless of any or all-previous employment agreements.

• Since you are an at-will state , you also might want to include that the completion of the 90 days does not change the employee's at-will employment status.
  • I agree that you need to clarify that completing your probationary period does not in any way guarantee your employment or exempt you from termination, with or without cause.

We personally do not use a "probationary period", because I've heard it used against the employer too many times.
  • This is the wording used for my organizations 90 Day Probationary Period.

During the first 90 days of employment (excluding periods of absence exceeding five (5) working days), the Company will evaluate the performance of the new employee. After 60 days of employment, a performance appraisal may be conducted to determine compatibility with the position. The employee is encouraged to participate in goal setting during this procedure.

Successful completion of the 90-day Introductory Period does not constitute or create a contract of employment between the employee and the company. Either the employee or the Company has the right to terminate employment at any time, with or without cause.