'reverse' gender discrimination

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-23-07 AT 11:46AM (CST)[/font][br][br]A male employee just sent me an email that his manager had sent him several months ago in response to his questioning why he didn't get a specific position in the company:

"I felt that (female employee) was the best candidate for us to focus on women. Women, homeowners, prefer to buy from women, and contractors prefer to buy from men, so in large part this was a
gender based decision. As we move forward with some of the plans for women's clubs we have in the works I think you will find that this makes a lot of sense."

The manager went on to say that his male employee does really well in his current job and this isn't at all a reflection of his abilities. This employee is upset for a few other reasons, but this one worries me the most. The manager is a male in his early to mid 30's, the male employee is 39 and has been with the company almost 3 years, the female employee is 49 and at the time of her getting this position she'd been with the company for just over 1 year.

The female employee has a lot of experience in the industry, and may very well have been the most qualified person for the position, but the manager chose to tell the male employee that it was a gender based decision! Ahhh. What's my next move?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Fire the manager and tell him a woman is better suited for the position.
  • I'd certainly like to do that, Ray...thanks.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-26-07 AT 08:06AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I'm studying for my PHR exam right now and I just covered this info last night.

If there is a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification (BFOQ) or if there is under-representation and an employer is trying to remedy past discrimination, then gender can be used as a factor in employment decisions (a voluntary AAP).

Otherwise, it's considered gender discrimination, whether it's a male or female.

I would have a serious talk with this manager ASAP and educate him about the law and what he can and can not say.

I would go through a list of both candidates' qualifications (experience, skills, work history, performance reviews, education, etc.), and determine who, on paper, is the best candidate.

If the woman turns out to be the strongest candidate, great! I would then meet with the male employee and explain that the decision was based on legitimate factors, despite the manager's misinformed opinion. Hopefully, he will not visit an attorney.

If the man turns out to be the strongest candidate, it's worth the money to talk to an attorney and assess your options. If you leave the woman in the job, the man would sue and if you remove the woman from the job and promote the man, the woman could sue. That's a tough lose-lose situation.

Either way, I believe you should do some manager training on employment law ASAP and try to learn from this situation.

Good luck!
  • The female employee definately looks better on paper, but how do I approach the male employee with this information without looking like we're trying to seriously backpedal (even though that's what we're doing) ?

I spoke with the manager on Friday, but he's on vacation until the 2nd of April. He said that there were several reasons why the female employee was the better candidate. He also said that the male employee has had attendance issues and poor work ethic in the past...none of which is documented of course!

There isn't a BFOQ for a female in this position, maybe a preference, but that preference is based on stereotyping our female customers. Also a bad idea!

I just can't believe that a manager would say, in writing, that his decision was gender based! This week is going to be just great.
  • So your problem isn't with the selection process, it is dealing with a manager who doesn't know the rules. You need to start with not only instructing him in discriminatory practices, but also that email is not the method to inform people why they were or were not selected for a position/promotion. I would recommend formal discipline for the manager because you will likely need a paper trail. Once you have him on the right page, you should both meet with the effected male employee and explain the manager's error. This would be the opportunity to show the actual selection process outcome, which shows the female candidate more qualified. Until you and the manager address this with the male employee it will remain an issue with him.
  • It's now gotten much worse...the employee has threatened something, didn't say what but said "Just wait until Monday..." and that 'spectacular events were going to happen'. The manager, president and CEO met the employee with the police this morning because they didn't know what the threat was possibly going to be. The employee was terminated for the threats and I expect this to continue getting much worse as the week stretches on.
  • Ouch, ugly turns really ugly! Hang in there, not much else to offer since it's obviously out of your hands for now.

• I agree...email is not the way to address many things..and..you definitely need to sit down with this male employee..even if it appears to be "backpedaling".

Just keep in mind that you are really just explaining the actual reasons that the male did not receive the job (as should have happened anyway), you did nothing wrong, and your manager was just misguided on his facts and did not explain the actual reasons. I would not spend too much time on the manager comment section...just emphasize the actual factors for the decision. More than likely, the manager didn't provide the real reasons (attendance, etc), because he wanted to avoid confronting with the employee. This is never a good idea.
  • The manager definitely needs some counseling on how to approach disciplinary issues with his employees. However, one thing that comes to mind: since your manager mentioned there have been issues in the past with this employee regarding attendance, etc., it almost sounds to me like this (former) employee was trying to "force" a way to keep his job. Just my opinion.
  • For future reference, we NEVER tell an employee why they did not get a promotion. You are just giving them amunition no matter what you say. We just tell them another candidate was selected. We don't try to justify our decision. I work for a state agency and as long as both are qualified we can choose either one. We do conduct structured interviews and consider how they do on the interview, past performance etc. but we don't explain it to the person who didn't get the job. As long as we can document a good business reason for our selection we are fine. We have prevailed in EEO cases in which we hired a younger non-minority male when an older minority female applied.
  • I am sure the way you handle things makes sense from a liability point of view, but that doesn't necessarily make it the best policy, especially in the private sector. My husband works for a local government. Your policy would work where he works as it is very difficult there to try to make a difference; few try.

I don't want our employees left wondering why they weren't selected. I don't need anyone deciding it must have been a discriminatory reason rather than the true one for non-selection. Even if you are completely in the right, a lawsuit can cost an organization a LOT of money.

Further, employees who wish to improve themselves sometimes need help in identifying those areas. Sometimes it is just a matter of a little more education, your appearance, or making sure you are always at work on time. I have seen employees turned down because their normal work attire or regular arrival time (5-10 minutes tardy) was fine with their current supervisor, but not for the hiring supervisor. Those employees changed their dress and made sure they were at work in a more timely manner and were able to get a promotion later (one was as little as 6 months).

Sometimes the difference is slight enough that all you can do is decide one is more qualified. But if there are other reasons, or if the qualifications can be improved, I think it is better to be honest with the employee. Just my 2 cents.

Nae
  • I don't tell anyone "here's why you didn't get the promotion". What I do tell them is "here is a course of action we can take to improve your chances in the future." It's a lot of work, but it is worth it.
  • I agree with you...I think it much better to be direct with employees..they appreciate that more, and as you said, it can help them improve for future opportunities. I believe open communication is the best policy.