Manager Having and Affair

I have a manager who I beleive is having an affair with an employee. She gives him favortism, is always on the defense for him, goes to his building all the time and she is not even over this particular building, bailed him out of jail and even took him to her mother's for dinner. These are the things that she has told my secretary and my secretary tells me. I really want to keep her as a manager, but cannot tolerate this behavior. I do have a policy that prohibits relationships between coworkers in the company. Can you give me information on how to rectify this situation. Is this sexual harassment, or beyond harassment, if it is consensual?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Based on your e-mail, you have been provided with information that indicates that one of your managers may be breaking your company policy. If I were in your situation, I would investigate the issue just as I would any other information that indicates that one of your company policies may be broken. Based on the findings of your investigation, you could determine what type of corrective action (counseling, warnings, training, suspension, or termination), if any, would be warranted.

Regarding harassment, it could be harassment. Until you investigate the situation, you may not know. Even if you find the relationship is consensual, the fact that you have a manager and a subordinate in the relationship, creates a risk for harassment. Many times, the relationships are consensual, but even if the relationship ends coridially, if the manager has authority to make hiring, firing, compensation decisions about the employee, there is always risk to the company that the employee could say that they feel that the decision is based from the relationship. It is amazing how after receiving a poor performance review (even if warranted), the employee will say it wasn't consensual and that they felt pressured to be in the relationship.

From your e-mail, it appears that this manager may not be directly or even indirectly over this particular employee. Although, it is never a good idea for a member of management to pursue a relationship with an employee, although there is still risk, there is less risk if the manager does not have authority to officially hire, fire, review compensation, etc.

Does your company offer any type of harrassment training to it's employees. It sounds like these two employees may need to attend.

Good Luck!

• Even if the manager is not harassing the lower level love-interest employee, it could be harassment for other employees who are witnesses to or are affected by the behavior. You do not have to be the target of the behavior to be affected by it in a sexual harassment situation.
  • First reaction is if this manager (lady) has no employer authority over this ee (man) then what's the big deal. If they are two consenting adults that just happen to work for the same employer and not even in the same building, why should the employer get involved?
    Lots of "what if's" that may pertain to your company that we, the readers, are not aware of.
    Good luck.
  • She does have authority. SHe is his manager.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-26-07 AT 10:08PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Then there would be an issue.

However, would do an investigation to find out more. You list examples of favoritism - I would talk to her about it. You should be able to get a gage on the situation based on her reaction.

Stick to facts that are known when talking to her. Could be a case of very poor judgement (best case) or potential for sexual harassment (worst case). Either way go into the discussion prepared - make sure you talk to the parties involved and document what they have observed.

If you find that there is a relationship then (a) reassign her direct reports to another manager at least temporarily and (b) consult your attorney for next steps.