Employee Committee

I seem to recall that it was not a good idea to have employee committee meetings where a manager was (in a non-union environment).

Does anyone know where I can get specific information?

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Can't help with a specific source. But if I recall, the problem with Employer Committees arises when the Committee takes on or is given a decision making or policy role.
  • Ours has an extremely narrow focus. They discuss the social events of the office - recognition luncheons, trivia contests, etc. - and not much else.
  • Don't have specific infor. or a place to go. However, this sounds very much like the Employee Activity Committee we have. This committee meets monthly and works to pull off most all of our company functions; Summer Picnic, Christmas Dinner, Hayride in the Fall, etc...
    We simply asked for volunteers, they elect their own officers each year, we give them a budget to work with and they take care of everything else. This has been working great for us for several years now.
  • We have a Labor/Management Committee and I HATE the dang thing! It mostly creates more work for administration (not to mention the time we have to spend at the actual meeting) because they are forever asking for more benefits or want a more interactive part in something or other or challenging why we did or did not do something!
  • >We have a Labor/Management Committee

The title alone would scare the daylights out of me. If anyone wants to take a run at establishing the committee as a bargaining group, you may have already done half the work for them. Now, "Warm and Fuzzy Picnic Planners", THAT has a ring to it!
  • And that's exactly what I'm afraid of...

Each committee member represents his crew and brings forth their respective questions, suggestions and/or gripes. The employees like being "heard" even though they may not like the responses.

What else could this be called, though... any creative types out there???
  • Employee Committees such as described can serve a valuable service to the business, basically taking on the tasks that management and most people don't want to mess with. On the Labor/Management Committee, you've already sunk your boat with that title, and it sounds like that committee is performing to the title's definition. Guess you could try "Employee Relations", or "Activities" Committee, something that delutes the labor/management separation of powers.

• I agree but unfortunately it is in our union contracts that we will have a "Labor Management" committee.
  • ML, we have an "HR Council" made up of representatives of each work division in our organization and serves as advisor to the HR Director. They discuss all manner of policy and benefits, and if a topic is brought up that isn't really HR related (which describes little that comes from this group) the HR Director hands it off to the appropriate department.

We also at one time had a Coordination Committee, which did more of the event planning and "social" or work life kind of stuff.

• This would be my concern about an "HR Council":

If Mary is on the HR Council, and it's a fairly well-known fact that she is on the Council and the Council's role is to advise the HR Director, then... If Sue is sexually harassed by Steve, and Sue reports it to Mary, and Mary does not report it to HR because she doesn't believe the allegation, or it's too awkward, or whatever... Then would a "reasonable person" (i.e., the Court) find that the Employer should have known about the harassment since it was reported to the HR Council?

I don't put "HR" on ANYTHING unless that person or group is a trained professional. If I have a payroll clerk, then the title is Payroll Clerk, not HR Assistant - for that specific reason.
  • There are a number of issues that have emerged within this thread; I'll take a stab at commenting on some of them, and suggest that the moderator look this thread over ... in no particular order:

1. A "Labor Management Committee" is standard practice (and GOOD practice) in a unionized environment ... the basic intent is for that group to work on communication and problem-solving before things get to the level of a grievance; also to clarify "intent" of CBA language, etc. If you are NOT a union environment, however, by ALL MEANS do not adopt this title.

2. I think the OP's question is in reference to the old "Electromation" and "DuPont" decisions by the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) that addressed limits on the authority of "Quality Circle" teams with respect to "conditions of work." I believe that the former involved a nonunion workplace and the latter involved a unionized one. The basic finding was that if an "employer dominated" QC Team made decisions about "conditions of work" (in the true legal sense), it could be construed as illegal bargaining, and a violation of the NLRA. There was, however a subsequent case, "Crown Cork and Seal," that eased up those constraints. Here is a reasonably good summary of these cases:
    [url]http://www.hklaw.com/Publications/Newsletters.asp?IssueID=233&Article=1323[/url]

THere was another case, "EFCO," that pre-dated "Crown," which was pretty scary - here's a url for a good article on that case:
    [url]http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Mar/1/127017.html[/url]

It's been a while since I looked at these in depth, so perhaps our moderator can shed light on the current thinking in this area.

3. I agree with ACU Frank about not using the term "HR" for anything other than HR ...

That's about it for now ... gotta get some sleep.
  • This is a bit off the subject!! I was just approved to get an assistant to help me with Benefits, Employee recognition, evaluations, and personnel file maintance. I normally use the title HR Clerk for this position but would be curious to know what other titles you would recommend.
  • Personally, I would use HR Assistant. Clerk is almost demeaning in the field of HR because they do ever so much!
  • I also use HR Assistant. And HR Administrator for our person who has more experience and responsibility.
  • Hmm, interesting point. We are very clear on the purpose of this group, which is to advise the HR Director on policy and other general HR matters, not to discuss or report individual issues. We are also clear in our policies what to do regarding harassment or other complaints, and these do not involve reporting anything to the HR Council in any way, shape or form.

But, you've given me something to think about, and to check out the next timing I'm speaking with counsel .

• Thanks so much for you input y'all. That reference in dawgeye's posting was what I was looking for.