Anyone here uses Caliper test?

Do you use it for hiring, performance management or organizational development? How do you like it?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I used it once when hiring a mid-level manager. Although the test was very thorough and helpful, it missed a couple of key areas that are haunting us today. This individual's test scores were very high, yet once in the organization was found to lack strong communication and organizational skills. I didn't check to see if we could customize the test. But if I use it again that is what I would do.
  • Yes, for about 10 years. It is a good tool to use but takes some practice to learn how to best assess people for your jobs. You still need to do the interviews, recommendations,and background checks. No test is totally predictive.
  • We just started using the test and it's been an interesting experience-I agree it will take some time to get managers to evaluate the information provided correctly.

I send a copy of the job description to Caliper & they use that to determine whether or not the applicant is a good fit to the job-not whether or not the applicant is or will be a good employee. Caliper can only assess the talents, strengths & 'challenges' of the applicant based on how well you outlined the tasks & expectations of the job-so I think the job description is a critical piece of the puzzle.

I've had some pretty strong resistance from a couple of managers on this, but I've explained it is only one of the tools used to assess the talents of the applicant-it does not determine whether or not the applicant gets the job.

Interviews, skills testing and interviews with key personnel within the department are also used.

I can tell you that the last employee we hired without using the Caliper has been totally misplaced. Based on the interviews conducted & some of the skills testing, the manager thought she had gotten exactly what she needed. But as issues came up and frustration levels rose, it became apparent that something wasn't working right. I talked to the employee, explained the Caliper test and asked if she would like to take it & she agreed. Through the test, we found that her talents and skills lie in a totally different area-and she thought the assessment was right on. We are currently looking to move her to a position that fits her skills and talents. She was very open to it & for existing employees, you can also get an 'Individual Development Guide' (which we did for this employee) that helps the manager & the employee work on areas identified as 'challenges.'

So far, I've been pleased, but I also look at it as just one of the tools . . .