Medical information during pre-screening

During a routine phone call to a previous employer of someone who is applying for a truck driving job, the HR Director told me that this applicant had a heart attack about 8 months ago while they were still working for this employer. Since then, this individual has had the DOT physical and received their DOT physical card, therefore, he passed the medically necessary part of driving requirements for our state. My question is this: Would my company or I be liable for an accident if he were to have another heart attack and caused an accident, seeing he had a previous heart condition--or would that fall under the "should have known" category of liability, or would we be covered because of the confidentiality factor? Then again, I can't be sure that this lady knew all the facts--she could just be repeating hearsay. Or, should I hire this guy and turn a blind eye to the information that I received. If I didn't know about his previous heart attack, I wouldn't even be questioning whether or not to hire him. Maybe because he's been cleared to drive post-heart attack, I don't have anything to worry about.

Any suggestions from anyone about to hire or not to hire....???

Thanks,
Too Much Information In Georgia

Comments