FMLA 12 month forward

Hello All - I am back to work after a 3 month disability leave and of course I have a question!
Under 825.200 (b) of FMLA if we use option 3, the 12 months measured forward method and an employee is out from say February 1, 2006 and uses all 12 weeks of leave and returns to work in May 2006 - when would that employee be eligible to take 12 weeks leave again?

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It is my understanding that the 12 month forward method is measured from the date an employee first starts an FMLA leave, which would be 2/1/06. The employee is not eligible for FMLA leave again until 2/1/07. Remember, those 12 weeks have to be used in a period of 12 consecutive months, but the EE doesn't have to take all their time at once.

Regardless of when and how long an EE takes leave, the counting starts over again on 2/1/07 if the first day of any sort of leave was 2/1/06.
  • They earn each new FML day when they cross the anniversary of one day used in the prior 12 months. So if the EE used one day 2/1/06 and did not use another one until 3/1/06, then he would earn a day back on 2/1/07 and not earn another one back until 3/1/07...and so on.
  • So if I understand correctly, they do NOT get the full 12 weeks at the anniversary of the date they took their last leave, but rather they earn it one day at a time until they have accumulated 12 weeks? Also, do I presume correctly that they are only eligible IF they have worked the 1250 hours in the past 12 months?
  • Yes to question 2.

Question one has some caveats around the method you select, but in essence, the EE gets 12 weeks during any 12 month period. The calendar year is a fixed 12 month period, but the roll forward or roll back methods both look at 12 months from the date in question.

• Hi Marc

I'm not sure I agree with your statement and would love it if James or an attorney would pipe in here. I've copied information from the dol website:

(b) An employer is permitted to choose any one of the following
    methods for determining the ``12-month period'' in which the 12 weeks of
    leave entitlement occurs:
    (1) The calendar year;
    (2) Any fixed 12-month ``leave year,'' such as a fiscal year, a year
    required by State law, or a year starting on an employee's
    ``anniversary'' date;
    (3) The 12-month period measured forward from the date any
    employee's first FMLA leave begins; or,
    (4) A ``rolling'' 12-month period measured backward from the date an
    employee uses any FMLA leave (except that such measure may not extend
    back before August 5, 1993).
    (c) Under methods in paragraphs (b)(1) and (b)(2) of this section an
    employee would be entitled to up to 12 weeks of FMLA leave at any time
    in the fixed 12-month period selected. An employee could, therefore,
    take 12 weeks of leave at the end of the year and 12 weeks at the
    beginning of the following year. Under the method in paragraph (b)(3) of
    this section, an employee would be entitled to 12 weeks of leave during
    the year beginning on the first date FMLA leave is taken; the next 12-
    month period would begin the first time FMLA leave is taken after
    completion of any previous 12-month period. Under the method in
    paragraph (b)(4) of this section, the ``rolling'' 12-month period, each
    time an employee takes FMLA leave the remaining leave entitlement would
    be any balance of the 12 weeks which has not been used during the
    immediately preceding 12 months. For example, if an employee has taken
    eight weeks of leave during the past 12 months, an additional four weeks
    of leave could be taken. If an employee used four weeks beginning
    February 1, 1994, four weeks beginning June 1, 1994, and four weeks
    beginning December 1, 1994, the employee would not be entitled to any
    additional leave until February 1, 1995. However, beginning on February
    1, 1995, the employee would be entitled to four weeks of leave, on June
    1 the employee would be entitled to an additional four weeks, etc.

It's my understanding that the poster's employee would be eligible to take 12 weeks of fml after 2/1/07 as the initial 12 month period has been completed. Am I misreading the regs?

Mandi
  • I think you guys are making this harder than it needs to be. If EE takes leave on 2/1/06, they have 12 months from that date to complete all leave. No matter if they take one week or 12 weeks, they are not eligible for another 12 weeks until 2/1/07. HOWEVER, when the employee again needs FMLA leave, their 12 month period then begins on the first date of leave following 2/1/07. If they were to take their next FMLA leave on 4/1/07, 4/1/07 would begin their next 12 month period.

The rules which Mandi included explain this perfectly:

Under the method in paragraph (b)(3) of
    this section, an employee would be entitled to 12 weeks of leave during
    the year beginning on the first date FMLA leave is taken; the next 12-
    month period would begin the first time FMLA leave is taken after
    completion of any previous 12-month period.

This is actually quite easily to administer, and there's no "buying back" of days since this is not a rolling basis program. This is essentially a calendar year basis program but with changing calendar start dates.
  • It is my understanding that the rolling 12 month period essentially looks back at the preceeding 12 months. An employee would be able to take leave just as soon as the preceeding 12 months did not include 12 weeks of leave. Thus, at a given point when the employee reached the 12 month anniversary of the day they took their first leave, they will earn an additional day for each day they work.

Clear as mud???
  • WT I believe that is the case with the rolling backward policy but we do rolling forward.
  • And if you really want to be technical, your policy isn't even a rolling forward policy - there's no rolling. It's simply a 12 month looking forward policy.
  • Pardon a dumb question, but how is rolling forward possible? In order to compute how much leave would be allowed, is it not required that you be able to look at what has been used. To reach a 12 week maximum, it is necessary to have a starting point and ending point to compute leave used and leave left over. This being the case, how does rolling forward determine those points?
  • You can't have a rolling forward for the very reason you stated - that's why what we're talking about is a straight 12 month look forward. And there are no dumb questions - only dumb answers...I hope this wasn't one of them!
  • I pulled the regs and went back to school (so to speak). That is one excellent by-product of this forum.

It seems to me that the looking forward method is essentially a custom leave year for each employee. It starts the first time they use leave and ends at the end of a year. Thus it would allow for stacking. (Example one week leave starting the leave year in June, eleven weeks leave at the end of that year ending in June of the next year and twelve weeks of leave starting in June of that year.) That is why the rolling look back year is popular with employers as it does not allow more than 12 weeks of leave in a row in any case. Not that anything is wrong with the look forward year as it is mentioned in the regs and is perfectly legal.