employee of the month

We are a smaller (90 employees) company. We are starting an employee of the month reward system. Any suggestions on how to decide who is the employee of the month? Do co-workers nominate fellow employees?

Thanks!
Leah

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have two each month. One exempt and one non-exempt. Nominations come from other staff and supervisors.
  • I worked for a company, close in size to yours, that allowed anyone to vote for another employee. There were ballot boxes in the building so the votes could remain anonymous. The HR Manager and a manager reviewed the nominations. The employee's name was posted and a $25 gift card to a local department or restaurant.

At another company, which had "Employee of the Quarter", anyone could submit another employee, however, they had to include the reason why the person was nominated...just a brief paragraph. All nominations were submitted to the HR department who made the final decision. The employee's name was posted in our newsletter along with the reason they were nominated and they were awarded a $100 gift card to a local department or restaurant.

Hope this helps.
  • We have an Employee of the Month program and the directors submit their nominations to me. I sometimes have the VP help select the winner, but normally I do it myself based on the seriousness of the nominations. The directors will rely on supervisors for input.

We used to have an Employee of the Quarter that was selected by popular vote. It was just that, a popularity contest and usually the biggest department's nominee won since they would vote in blocks. We stopped it.
  • Vote early and vote often - take a page from Chicago politics and vote the graveyards.

Anytime you put it up as a popularity contest, you will hear stories like Ray's.

Also, these things tend to fade away as the months wear on and you will find it a big yawner.
  • Don't even go there. These kind of things tend to tear down the teamwork concept.

And there is no "i" in team.

Raymond
  • No "i", but there is a "me" in team.

chuckle, chuckle.