Positive Discipline

Hi, Everyone!

Has anyone fully implemented a "positive discipline" or "discipline without punishment" system to replace traditional progressive discipline? I work for a manufacturer who is exploring this approach to corrective action, and would be most interested in hearing feedback from folks who have tried it.

Does it work for you?
Have you ever had to defend a termination that was made following using this sytem in court?
Have you seen any substantial difference in effectiveness in changing employee behavior and/or impact on employee engagement?

Any feedback would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 24 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not sure I understand the question but I will give it a shot....
    We have a four step progressive counseling program. #1 - Coaching - a very informal disucssion with the ee to cover "their" opportunity and explain why this is not acceptable. #2 - Verbal- more serious disucssion with the ee and make sure to explain what the consequences may be if this continues, the supervisor will make written notes for their files but still nothing in the ee personnel file. #3 - Written - much more serious and it goes in their personnel file - ee must write their plan of action stating what they will do different to ensure this situation does not continue. #4 - Day Off with Pay - final step - ee is given their next scheduled day off with pay to think about the seriousness of their situation and to once again write a plan of action. We do not consider Termination a step as we believe this is when our program failed to correct the situation. Of course we are clear to point out that due to the severity of the situation the frist step we take may be at any level or even immediate termination.
    So far this program has worked very well for us. It may have changed but during my previous life it was noed that the term "Positive Discipline" was a copyrighted name. This may have changed over the past decade.
    Good luck...
  • Thanks, Dutch2!

Your progressive couseling system seems to have the focus that we are interested in exploring!

In your experience, would you say that this approach has led to better, worse, or about the same results as the traditional progressive discipline system (coaching/verbal warning/written reprimand/suspension without pay/termination)?

Thanks again!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-20-06 AT 02:27PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Is that the system when you all gather around in a big group hug, sing kumbaya, and give each other foot messages???
    Sorry, don't mean to be a smart-as#, well, maybe I do, but really,what do you expect to get from "disciplining" someone when there is no discomfort associated with the consequences of not improving?? You can coach some employees back into accpetable performance, and not have to go much further. But,as you know from working in the manufacturing world, you deal with many more problem employees who don't respond to "suggestions to improve", but rather need an eventual kick in the proverbial as%, and, ultimately, showed the door when there is no improvement. You need to spell out potential consequences (i.e. written warnings, suspensions or termination) when problems continue, and that is what holds the most water in legal proceedings or EEOC charges. I beleive the "new wave" disciplinary approaches are developed by the same folks that infiltrated our schools with the idea that children don't need to learn, they just need to have high self esteem.

I'm done..
  • >Is that the system when you all gather around in
    >a big group hug, sing kumbaya, and give each
    >other foot messages???
    Actually we have empowered teams, so they would be able to select whichever campfire song they wanted (within proscribed boundaries, of course)......x;-)

But, seriously, while I do appreciate you sharing your feelings on this issue, I'm really hoping to find some folks who have actually given this approach a try and learn from their experiences.

We are operating in an extremely competitive business environment which requires very high levels of individual productivity, and we are facing a very tight labor market for skilled talent. Given that combination, we are trying to find ways to improve employee engagement and retention. We are not interested in giving employees a "free ride" by any stretch of the imagination and any approach that we take will need to allow us to hold employees to high standards, but if there is an approach to corrective action that lets us improve engagement, do a better job of getting the behavior we desire, and/or reduce costly turnover, then we certainly want to explore that alternative.

Thanks again!

• And I agree wholeheartedly with that approach. Any disciplinary system worth its salt has, at its core, a desire to correct problem behavior or substandard performance, and save the employee from termination. However, to model a disciplinary system around the notion of "discipline without punishment" is counterproductive and will not achieve your goal of better retention. If anything, I feel it will produce the opposite result.If employees are not held accountable for sustained and acceptable performance, are merely "asked" to improve, and do not face the possible consequence of ultimatelty losing their job, where is the incentive to really excell? Your high performers will question why they continue to perform at high levels. Eventually, they will feel unappreciated and ultimately leave for an organization that holds employees to high standards, demands acceptable levels of performances, and terminates those that can't meet those expectations.
  • vphr - I highly agree with you! A successful program is based not only on rewards, but by discipline as well - otherwise, people do just enough to not get fired. If any of you have seen the movie "Office Space" then you know what I'm talking about.

While I admire the effort to find the best, most efficient "motivation" system available, it has been my experience that a disciplinary system needs just that - discipline. Any program, when consistently implemented and managed, will be effective. It may not be pleasant to discipline an employee, but it helps prevent unwanted behaviors and is effective in managing the employee life-cycle. Not to mention a progressive discipline policy REALLY helps out in the courtroom. Why try to re-invent the wheel? We know this approach works.

Balance the carrots with the sticks. Nothing but carrots only makes the donkey fatter and lazier.
  • VPHR & NeedCoffee,

Thanks for your opinions regarding the merits of the traditional progressive discipline system. It is an interesting discussion, and one that we are having within our organization. Rest assured that we have a diverse team of folks who are collecting data and looking into a number of alternative solutions. Certainly, if there is no evidence to support a change, then we will simply drive for consitency within our current system of progressive discipline.

My goal with the original post was to gather some preliminary data from HR professionals who are actually using this different approach in the field. If they are finding significant benefits from this approach, then I would like to explore it further. If they are having a negative experience, then I would certainly like to report that back to the team as well.

Thanks again for your opinions.

--Lisa in TX

• We are also a manufacturer with 200+ employees.

We generally do some informal counseling before an employee reaches the formal discipline process. This works sometimes.

Our formal discipline process consists of:

1st Written Warning, 2nd Written Warning, Final Written warning, which includes an unpaid 2-day suspension and then, if all else fails, Termination.

However, no matter what step of the process we are in, we always try to end on a positive note, so that the employee sees that we want him/her to turn things around. I usually say something like "The decision is yours - we don't want to terminate your employment."

Obviously, if the violation is serious enough, we will skip to a Final Warning or immediate termination.

• Lisa,

I guess I would characterize our discipline system as a hybrid between traditional/progressive and positive. Steps are:

1. Record of Conference.

2. Notice of Unsatisfactory Performance or Conduct.

3. Disciplinary Probation.

4. Decision Leave (like you described, a day off with pay for the ee to decide on a last chance basis whether to get it together or resign with impunity).

5. Termination (with opportunity to appeal to our agency head before it's finalized)

Some people think giving a day off with pay is more of a reward than a negative consequence, but I've found that it works well to really get the ee's attention and let them know that their fate is in their own hands. It makes the discipline process more of an adult-to-adult transaction than an adult-child interaction, which I believe is one of the tenets of positive discipline.

We've never had anyone take us to court about a dismissal since this system has been in place (about 20 years). We repeatedly stress that we're an at-will employer but at the same time our actual practice is to due process people to death. For us, this has been a winning combination that has made our dismissals just about bullet proof (so far; knock on wood).
  • We use a 4-step process. Step One involves the supervisor giving a verbal warning and discusses the problem and provides the EE an oportunity to respond and then plan a informal course of corrective action. Step two is a counseling memorandum and involves the director of HR. A Performance Improve Plan and follow up dates and goals are established. Step Three is issuing disciplinary action and Step Four is termination.
    At each step, the employee is coached and given time to improve their performance. They are also informed of the next step if the performance issue does not improve. We do not follow the 4 steps for each infraction. We may terminate on step one depending on the situation.
    I have used the Last Chance option on a couple of occasions. One EE made a turn around and the other left our employment voluntarily.
  • Lisa, interesting! I had never heard of "positive discipline" until your post.

I searched online until I found this definition of the positive discipline process:

1) Identify the problem (the gap between the actual & desired behavior)
    2) Analyze the problem's severity (determine the impact and consequences of the behavior if not corrected)
    3) Discuss the problem (with the employee, gain their agreement on a solution)
    4) Document the discussion (including the history of the problem and what was said and agreed upon)
    5) Follow-up to monitor results (recognize improvements, or take action if the problem hasn't resolved)

If this process is close to what you are thinking of, I would have to say that its very similar to the process our exec director uses when he disciplines.

From observing him (or sometimes being the one recieving the discipline) I can say it does work. It seems to require a good deal of time and trust. Both parties must essentially be working towards the same goal.

The process can be frustratingly slow and sometimes I felt like "banging heads" would have been a better response. However, its respectful to the individual and its less "destructive" to the organization.

Some people (in my opinion) might take advantage of the "feel good" approach and come across as compliant and remorseful but never change. Just because an employee agrees with the process doesn't guarantee anything.

I will say that I haven't always felt good about my own discipline style. Sometimes I feel like I have achieved the results I wanted but at too high of a cost. I guess I worry about that as a parent too.

I think there is some wisdom in this process if only for the fact that when you look back on your interactions with people, you won't see a trail of bodies.
  • Paul,
    When you really look at this system (positive discipline) it really is no different than the "traditional" approach, its just wrapped in a new, less intimidating name. The traditional progressive discipline does everything that is mentioned in your post. It starts with an observed problem (actual vs. desired behavior/performance), the severity is determined and a discussion takes place (verbal or written warning, with a requested commitment from the employee to change), documentation occurs, including what occurs if there is no positive change. Action is taken if the problem continues, which could be further warnings, suspensions or termination. So, how is this any different? Is it an effective system? Sure, its what most HR folks have been using for decades. If you want to give it a new name, have at it.
  • I couldn't agree more vphr! I too had not heard of this until the post and in doing some research on the internet I came to the same conclusion - it's just good old fashioned tradional discipline/good management techniques wrapped in a shiny new name. Some consultants/book sellers are going to make a pretty penny...
  • Well, ultimately what is the purpose of any discipline? To correct errant behavior and if the correction is not made, to set the stage for termination.
  • I agree that there is some similarities. Of course I am not totally sure that my definition of "positive discipline" is what Lisa is talking about.

If it is, I suppose the major difference is positive discipline emphasizes a collaborative approach to resolving problems over the traditional progressive discipline policy which is "here is what you did wrong, this is what you need to do better, and this is what will happen to you if you don't"

Maybe its subtle but I think there is a difference.

I think its also possible that we are confusing the term "punishment" with "accountability". Positive discipline does seem to have accountability but it seems to try to get away from the idea of "punishment".

I'd be interested to hear from Lisa though on all of this.
  • Lisa,
    I have used a positive progressive discipline for over 15 years in both a hospital with over 800 employees and a manufacturing facility with over 200 employees. In both cases it worked very well. During those years I never had a complaint or law suit resulting from a positive discipline personnel action. This approach is much more demanding of employees because it puts the responsability for change on the employee and they are part of developing the solution. Using a punitive approach only causes tempoary change and resentment. You will get resesistance from managers because we are all brought up to think punishing is the best way to get change. Don't give up. I recommend the program developed by Dr. Green called Positive Discipline.
  • I have attended a couple of HR conferences that have promoted this philosophy based on the book, "Discipline Without Punishment" by Dick Grote. It encourages positive performance, but does not eliminate accountability. You might want to refer to that book.
  • Does anyone qualify this philosophy by saying it only works with certain conditions or with certain people? I could easily envision circumstances where collaboration isnt possible and straight-up progressive discipline approach is necessary.
  • ALL disiplne, whether we label it as "positive", "traditional", or whatever, is sucessful only on some employees, in some circumstances. Look, if discipline is done correctly, you always attempt to get as much buy-in from the employee to make a concerted effort to change and to keep performing at acceptable levels. There really is no punishement, per se, other than putting the issue in writing and explining the potential consequences of continued sub-par performance. This is nothing new or revolutionary. Why some folks think that this "positve discipline" is so unique is beyond me. Its all about trying to get employees to do their jobs effectively and attempt to avoid having to terminate. You do that with a sense of respect for the employee, but also with a recognition of the seriousness of situation. Those that don't get lose their job. Am I missing something here?
  • I don't know but I have ordered the book so I guess I will find out.

I have a supervisor who has been fairly militaristic and harsh with some of his staff and its caused him problems. Fortunately, he is receptive to feedback and wants to improve his people management skills. I ordered two copies of this book "Positive Discipline" (43 cents used on Amazon.com) and I think we will read through it and use it as a point of discussion.
  • Let us know if there is anything enlightening about what you read. My initial reaction is that this whole analysis is more about management style than it is about the disciplinary system itself. Any system is only as good as those that administer it.
  • I agree. Yeah, I'll post an update. I am always interested in learning a new "take" on people management.

Lifelong learning. Constant forward progress. That's the goal.
  • What a great discussion! Thanks to everyone who has posted!! I've been out of pocket facilitating a leadership development class the past couple of days, and this is my first chance to catch up. I don't want to re-hash everything that's already been said, but I did want to respond to the folks who asked me to weigh in...

Our team is looking at a variety of approaches to corrective action including positive discipline, discipline without punishment, traditional progressive discipline, and a number of "hybrid approaches".

I hadn't found the Green book, so I will venture out to Amazon after this post and pick it up. Thanks for the tip!

I do have a copy of Grote's book, "Discipline Without Punishment", and his Reminder 1/Reminder 2/Decision Making Leave approach is one of the alternatives that we are looking at.

There is certainly accountability in both the Positive Discpline and DWP systems. Where they differ from Progressive Discipline (as our organization is currently implementing it anyway) is that subtle difference in focus an earlier poster mentioned. There are some semantic differences to be sure ( in DWP for example, verbal reprimand becomes a Reminder 1, written becomes Reminder 2, etc.), but to me the key difference is that the focus of the intervention shifts from "what the company is doing to you" (impacting your variable pay, sending you home without pay, putting a letter in your file) to "what you going to do differently to meet expectations".

Thanks again for the great conversation!!

--Lisa in TX