Competitor stealing our employees!

Wondering if any of you would have suggestions on how we could/should handle this? We have recently had a new competitor open up business in our area and they have actually had people come to our parking lots and talk to our employees when they are going home (and shift changes). (and some of these guys are actually "ex" employees of our company. Of course, when management gets out there, they disappear. We have also been told that they are offering our employees $200.00 to come over and just listen to what kind of employment offers they had. Any advice on how to stop this? (we are non-union and this is actually occuring at our facility in Ohio.)

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Would it be considered tresspassing and could you call the police? Of course, that wouldn't keep them from setting up shop directly across the street, but your employees would probably be less likely to stop and listen once they're already in the car on the way home.
  • Has anyone in your organization, preferably a "higher up", called and asked to speak with the owner/president of their company? I wonder if the owner/president of their company is aware of this recruiting action? Also, I think I would follow up with the police on trespassing charges. Which of course, I would manage to mention in the conversation...x}>
  • I have gone through this before (but not quite like this). We had one employee leave and go with a competitor and then he would call and talk with his other friends at work, during work, and recruited about 8 people to come to that company.
    At first I was livid. However, over time about 50% of the folks he took we were glad to get rid of. Also, after a period of time one or two of the ones who left came back and asked for their old job back.
    Looking back on it, I would have made some changes on how we handled this. If the prior employees are "targeting one area" you could do this just with that area. If not, you could do it with entire company.
    I would have a meeting with the employees. Let them know that you are aware of what is going on, former employee is "attempting to recruit them" from your parking lot. Then say something like, "is the type of company you really want to work for. Many times employers that are "desperate" promise you the world and never come through with it. The grass is always greener on the other side. I would urge you to think twice before you considered an offer from a company that operates in this fashion. I would let them know that if they have any questions/complaints about their job/present company that you would be glad to discuss it with them now or they could come into your (president or high ups) office and discuss one on one if they prefer. Also, if this is a newer company, you may want to point out that they have no track record either for their work or their financials. This may be somethign that they want to think about too. Be up front and honest. Best policy. You may find out something too.And may be able to offer some minor changes/benefits that you never thought about that could make a big difference. If employees were 100% happy with you, they wouldn't listen to someone to begin with.

E Wart
  • sorry i can't offer a good fix , just an opinion....

i hate when this happens but there is not alot you can do. there's an old expression....the grass always appears greener on the other side. trust me, some may go but they'll be sorry and some will want to come back. the tougher question is: will you take them back????

the ones that leave were looking anyway so your competitor didn't have to really "steal" them.

I learned a long time ago, when money looks good, it's usually covering something up.

good luck.

• Everytime another employer in the area does heavy recruiting our managers get nervous about losing people, good people. We have yet to experience any significant losses. About 2 years ago we did lose a few good employees to a large employer that can afford to pay significantly more than we do. After about 6 months 3 of them came begging for their jobs back. When it came down to it, we wanted only one of them back and rehired her. We have not lost another ee to that company. We did have a situation last year where people were coming into our parking lot to recruit, I put the word out I'd call the police and charge them with trespassing - they didn't return.
  • One of the first things you do is prohibit recruiting on your company premises. This is a given.

You evaluate your company's pay, benefits, quality of work life, etc. to make sure you are doing what you should be doing as to reducing turnover regardless of the type. You compare those things to your area and like industries.

Anytime a new company comes in they are going to pirate some employees-it just goes with the territory. The thing to remember, for future reference" is "what goes around-comes around."

You are always going to be faced with competition recruiting your employees, especially if they are talented/skilled. Your job is to make your company so good to them that they won't be easily enticed to go elsewhere. And, for the record, money is NOT the biggest reason people leave either.

Have your front line management team be aware of what is going on and coach, counsel, and just plain talk with their employees 1 on 1. Sometimes supervision takes a lot for granted when all an employee might want is to be reinforced he/she is important and appreciated by the company.

Communication is the KEY here. Don't panic or get mad. Just do those things that make your company "a place of first choice" to potential and current employees. And doing the "little things" play a big role in how this works out.

And finally, employees who leave have all sorts of reasons why they do. Exit interviews are an excellent source of information to discover if something is falling through the cracks in your overall employee relations/benefit package programs. And remember turnover, people leaving is NOT the sole responsibility of HR. In fact, it is more so with your line and staff management who actually supervise and manage said employees. Work with & train them! But don't their job or take blame if you lose a few.
    It happens all the time.

Raymond