Termination--how to phrase

We have an employee that we are wanting to terminate--unfortunately for no great reason other than she just isn't fitting in and she's not who we thought she was (in terms of how she interviewed, the information she provided us).

Through very informal investigations during her employment, we get the sense that she's not a very truthful person. Her stories have never quite meshed, her background seems very suspicious, etc.

Anyway--we want to fire her. We're an at-will state. We haven't counseled her prior to this point. What do we say? It's just not working out?

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Do you have an Introductory Period, 90 days or whatever? If a new hire and still in the Introductory Period I would tell her that we decided she is not the right person for the job and cite some examples of that and tell her its just not working out and let her go. If beyond the Introductory Period, I would follow through with our reprimand policy then terminate if she did not show the improvement required of her.
  • As luck would have it, her 90 days was up 7/3/06.

As far as reprimanding and asking for her to improve, there really isn't anything to improve upon--her performance is fine. Her background is just incredibly suspicous.
  • If the employee has given bogus information your employment application should carry a disclaimer that any wrong information is grounds for dismissal (check it out). Since your at-will you don't need a reason and can simply term because she's just not working out (although you may be asked what that means...hopefully you'll have an answer). Lastly, how does your handbook state you'll handle terminations?

good luck
  • OK--let me ask this...

Have any of you terminated someone because they just weren't a good fit? What did you tell them?
  • Depends on the level of ee. Never did it with an hourly ee, but have done it in professional level positions.
  • I have done this many times. I simply bring the person in and state that "You have been with the company for approximately _____ days/months. During this time, the company has had an opportunity to observe and get to know you. We have made the decision that you just aren't the right fit for (our company...the position, etc.)This happens and it is not a negative reflection of you personally. We wish you the best in future career endeavors.

I don't get into conversations of "what did I do wrong, etc.". Best to keep it short and to the point. It may sound abrupt and somewhat cruel...but it's best for both you and the employee to do this as early as possible in the employment process. It will save you a lot of grief later in dealing with a tenured employee who turns out to be a problem.

• Rockie makes a good point, short and to the point. Don't argue, let them speak their mind, but don't argue back.
  • I was let go once for this very reason (not a good fit, not the untruthful part). I was only at the job for a couple of weeks and it definetly was not what I interviewed for. The HR manager called me in to her office and asked me if I was happy and if I felt I was right for the position. It was obvious I wasn't happy and said so briefly which of course made it easy for her to say that she felt I wsn't right for the postion and was being terminated. Simply tell her that you feel this isn't a good fit, I wouldnt' get into whether or not she was truthful as that could only up a "can of worms".
  • I have used "despite your best efforts, this isn't working".

It is never easy, but good luck.
  • From Catbert - evil HR Director:

"You are fired!!! Bwuuuuuuhaaahaaaahaaaaahaaaa."

Practice that a few times in front of the mirror. It is incredibly cathartic. Then do the actual termination as others have suggested above.

When you compare your real efforts to the Catbert suggestion - you will see that your way is much better.
  • Best thing is to be honest with her. I am sorry (insert name) but we feel that the company and you are not the right fit or I am sorry but we are letting you go. DO not get into a long discussion about it since there is no performance issues so be as brief as possible. Expect her to claim unemployment.

Why did you/your company wait so long if not working out? Usually within the first couple of weeks you have a good idea about the person.
  • Rockie has it exactly right. Don't apologize or say you are sorry. Just say after x amount of time, you feel that this (job co) is not a good fit. You will be hit with unemployment, but if only employed 90+ days, won't be much. Better to get out now.
    If it is bad, they may be unhappy to start off with, but will be better for them in the long run. I wouldn't bring up anything else, unless you have definite proof that what she WROTE is not what is true. Otherwise, just ignore it.
    Don't waste any more of your or their time.
    E Wart
  • And do it this week, like today. Pay her out through Friday. The longer you wait the worse it gets. That and if you are really unlucky she will get hurt then you will really be screwed.

B'man
  • Perfect! Thank you all so much--the many suggestions are very helpful. I especially like the Catbert way of doing things--wouldn't that be fun? But, yeah, it would probably be better to go a different route.

Thanks, again.
    Paige