Time Sheets/Time Cards

Our company uses paper time sheets. Everyone enters their work/sick/vac on these time sheets and supervisors review/ approve and forward to the accounting office for payroll processing.

Our Finance Director is wanting to select our Administrative employees (billing clerks, help desk, etc) to clock in via their computers on software that would be installed.

Does anyone see any "discrimination" in having a certain class of employees do it one way, while others to it another way?

I believe she's wanting to do this to keep better track of those people whom she supervises.

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If you are to move to a computer based time clock system, I would not do it for one group of employees because of who their supervisor, I would do it company wide. If you are going to put something in place you should make life easier on yourself and be consistant with all departments/locations and it cuts down on the amount of time it takes a person to add up all of those hours on the paper time cards.

That group would be a good test group especially if they are housed in the same building as you are, but I think eventually you should plan to roll it out company wide.

Last Novemeber, I implemented an internet based time clock system for my entire company. It is fantastic! We can track all of our hourly employees by requiring them to clock in and out on the time clock and our salaried employees do nothing unless they have used paid time off (Vac/Per/Funeral, etc). At that point they go into the time clock and make their changes there. All hourly employees are required to go into the system, sign their time card electronically every week (we have weekly payroll) and salaried employees only sign if they are being paid for vac/per/funeral, etc. time.

It has cut my paper flow on my desk in half and has helped my managers stand up and take notice on some things that they were not seeing before.
  • Lukkieseven - are we talking about exempt or non-exempt employees?

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-09-06 AT 10:47PM (CST)[/font][br][br]We are trying to convert from paper to computer as well. Employees without computers, e.g., roving maintenance techs, will likely be stuck with paper for some time to come.

I tend to doubt billing clerks and help desk employees are exempt. 8-} But everyone's workplace is different!

Swynia, what provider/software do you use? Sorry for being nosy, but we had to trash TimeForce because they didn't live up to their promises.
  • Our employees have the option of clocking in via computer or using the time clock. We don't use paper time sheets any longer. We use ADP as our payroll provider.
  • I have Ceridian as our payroll provider and they have a system called Time and Attendance. We happen to use their internet package, but they also have badge-wall time clocks. One of the biggest highlights for me is that they systems can talk to each other and import/export into each other.

I used to use a system called Stromberg - Time in a Box. I wasn't a big fan.
  • We use Ceridian. It is great! For those who don't have access to a PC to clock in ,we use the wall time clocks. EE's simply swipe their badge to clock in/out. I would suggest you roll it out to everyone. We ran parallel with our old system for a pay period, then switched. It will make your life easier to only deal with one method.
  • We have on-line timesheets for payroll processing. Those folks that have access to computers input their time each day and finalize at end of the week.

For the mechanics/warehousemen, etc. that do not have access to computers, they fill out paper timesheets and then the department secretary inputs their time at end of the week.

Works for us.