Spouse of EE Calling office

We have an EE in our field office whose wife has called several times to the office. She is very abusive on the phone to the office assistants and has cursed at them and called them horrible names. We have explained to the EE that this can't continue, but he says he can't control her. How would you handle this situation?

Ronda

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • First I would have all of her calls forwarded to me as soon as the answerer recognizes that it's her. If I couldn't talk sense into her I would file a police complaint against her and finally a restraining order. Out of courtesy to the EE I would let him know what I'm doing.
  • Thanks, Larry, for the response. This is really a new situation I haven't handled yet!

I am not on the same phone system as our field office, which will not enable me to have the calls forwarded. We did have one of the supervisors take a call from her and she cussed at him as well.

When we first advised the EE that we couldn't allow his wife to call and disrupt the workplace, he told us to call the cops! Doesn't sound like a good relationship - to say the least! I'm beginning to be concerned that this could escalate into a violent scene.

We have discussed calling the police to file a complaint. Prior to doing this, I would contact her.

• I've never had to go as far as Larry suggests, but I have had abusive calls sent to me to handle.
  • I would send a letter addressed to her explaining that the previous incidents are unacceptable and you will take any needed measures to protect your employees if she continues along this line.

I would also check your policy on employee's recieving personal phone calls. Her behavior is the issue here but it wouldnt hurt to know refresh yourself on your current policies.
  • Good suggestion, Paul. I like the letter idea - that way I don't have to endure her abuse on the phone!

When she calls, she is not calling to talk to our EE. She is calling to complain about something he had to do or some minor thing. The last call was regarding his paycheck. Our EE couldn't get to the office to pick his check up, since he was working in the field that day. The office assistant who lives close to where he was working suggested she meet him and deliver the check. (This never actually occurred!) The check was left at the office and he picked it up the next day. However, somehow the wife found out and suspected there was some hanky-panky going on between the office asst and her husband - this started the ball rolling on the last call! The office has received at least 2 calls regarding this incident!

Anyway, I really like your suggestion and will probably follow that course of action. Thanks.

• If your company offers direct deposit, I would encourage him to enroll. (That might help one thing.) Anybody who answers the phone and knows that it is her should say, please call you at this number and discuss the issue with you. Maybe that will give you a chance to talk with her yourself and maybe you can get to the bottom of what the problem really is or tell her that because these situations deal with the EE and not her, that the action you can/cannot take has to be handled with the EE and not her.

Other than that, if the EE has a problem with the work that he is doing for you (as what is sounds like the EE's spouse has issues with), the EE needs to take it up with his manager. You might want the manager to pull the EE in and talk with the EE about the job just to make sure everything truly is OK.

In the end, I don't know if a letter from the company asking her to stop calling is going to help. It make her more riled up then she already is. You may have to get the police involved.

I had a situation where an ex-EE was calling one of my managers during business hours and leaving vulgar messages on her v-mail. The Manager and I have had many discussions about why the ex-EE is targeting her, but in the end she ended up going to the police to get a restraining order on the ex-EE. Ever since, all phone calls have stopped. I don't know if the 'company' as a whole can get something like that from the police/court system.

Good luck! I feel for you and this issue. It is a hard one to deal with.
  • I agree with Swynia concerning the letter. Remember, this caller is not your ee and you have no disciplinary control over her. You can't threaten to suspend her, demote her or fire her. If it is that serious, treat it as harassment and report her to the police. Just be prepared to have an angry ee who may in the end defend his wife.
  • I would also send the letter to the spouse advising that it is against the law to make harassing or threatening phone calls and you are putting her on notice if it occurs again, legal action will be taken to stop the calls.

If the employee gets angry, "oh, well",there are other career options. Your other employees should not take abuse for his apparently bad marriage.

Paychecks should only be picked up by employees or someone who has written authorization from the employee. I would also never be drawn into a conversation with anyone concerning my employee's schedule, work duties, etc. The spouse has no right to any employment information.

Good luck. These are always nasty.
  • Enough is enough. I wouldn't waste my time with a letter to the spouse. I would let the EE know that I was calling the authorities (from what you said it doesn't sound like he cares). After advising him, I would call the police to inquire about your options and see what the next step would be to stop the harassment.
  • So, now that we have helped you, Ronda, what are you going to do?
  • I'm going to write a letter to the EE's spouse letting her know we will not tolerate harrassment of our employees, either by phone or in person. I'll state that if we receive another call, we will pursue legal action necessary to stop the calls. I'm going to inform the EE of our actions prior to sending the letter.

If the harrassment continues, we will contact the police to see what our options would be in this case. We would terminate the EE if everything else fails.

I appreciate all your suggestions.

I'll be back!!
  • Cc the employee on the letter and send them all certified, return receipt required. Then no one will be able to say they didn't know about it.