Beeper Pay

Those of you who utilize on call people who have to carry a beeper....what do you pay them per hour? Trying to get some info on this for our medical practice.

Thanks

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Rockie, before I attempt a reply, are you talking about exempt or non-exempt staff?
  • Sorry...this would be non-exempt.
  • Here in Oregon, how you pay oncall employees depends on how restricted they are in what they can do. This includes length of response time, how far from the jobsite they can travel, and how often they are called.

Can you elaborate on your beeper keepers?
  • Okay, in that case, I'm sure you know that if they actually get called into work they have to be paid overtime if they had otherwise worked 40 hours in that workweek. Now, what if they just get to lounge around with a beeper on and don't have to come to work? Looking at the FLSA regs, it appears that if a person is free to go about their normal personal business while on call you don't have to pay them.

We have our maintenance workers take turns being on call evenings and weekends since we are a 24-hr. facility but don't have maintenance regularly scheduled except for M-F, 7am-4 pm. They carry a cell phone or a pager and are required to come to the school if there's a maintenance problem. Otherwise, we give them comp time on a hour-for-hour basis for the time spent on call.
  • Avoid pay for carrying a pager if you can. FLSA rules require paying time and a half on all remuneration for any given week. Thus, if you pay an employee $50 to carry a beeper and the employee works overtime, you must divide the $50 into all hours worked for the week to get a cents per hour figure. You must then multiply that times overtime hours and divide by one half to pay the half time component of time and a half on that money. While not terribly expensive, the bookkeeping essentially requires a custom rate for anyone carrying a beeper and being compensated for that based on hours worked in the specific week.
  • We pay employees who are assigned standby duty one hour of pay for every eight hours of standby. At my last job, we paid one hour for every six hours of standby. However, just carrying a pager does not in itself mean an employee is on standby.

As mentioned by others, the question is how restricted is the employee? If the employee cannot travel too far from home because there is an expectation that, if called, the employee will report to work within a certain time frame (for example 30 minutes), than the employee is on standby and would receive compensation. On the other hand, if the employee has no restrictions placed on him/her and has no obligation to respond to the call, then we would not compensate the employee (unless he/she is actually called in to work).
  • I concur With DAVIDS. Our hourly beeper employees are paid based on physically being called out for duty and no less than 4 hours. The time starts the moment that he/she begins preparation to get to the work site until the employee has returned to his home and on call once again. We also provide telephone linkage for our employees and insure the employee is in communication with the troubled area and knows what he might be called to do! These hours are considered regular work hours unless the employee has already completed 40 hours within the same workweek! If over 40, these hours would be at the time and half rate.
    On holidays we also have paid double time plus the regular holiday pay for these happenings.

Our EXEMPTS peeper employees are paid for 24/7 in their salary and a kick in the butt should they fail to respond to a beeper situation.

PORK
  • 'a kick in the butt should they fail to respond to a beeper situation'

Do you actually do a 'kick in the butt' or is just the threat of it enough?

If the threat of it is enough, I would like to implement that throughout all of my policies at my company. Instead of progressive discipline, a good kick in the butt will suffice!

• Actually, this has turned out to be a much stranger situation than it first appeared.

We have two clinical people in house who work in the same department. They are only the only ones certified to shoot a chest x-ray on our clinical floor. This is in the same building. These individuals feel they should be compensated if they are pulled away from their department to shoot an x-ray (which takes a few minutes). They came up with a proposal to charge per hour to carry a beeper (even though they are here on site). The amount they came up with was $3.50/hour when they were on call to shoot x-rays. I thought this amount was ridiculous and really,the entire situation was crazy. I feel if an employee is at work and being paid their salary, they should float to another area and do whatever it takes to get the job done.

This situation,thankfully, is being remedied with some new hires to replace departing employees. These individuals do have the x-ray certification and will be able to perform this function.

• Rockie:

I agree that if the employee is at work, there should not be additional pay if the employee is called upon for some special tasks. However, in my world - a public employer with several unions - it is quite common for employees to receive premium pay for performing special duties. Usually, premiums are paid when the extra work presents risk (such as hazmat duties)or more than a minor inconvenience (such as changing the employee's shift without sufficient notice). However, I would not voluntarily agree to begin paying premiums as a general practice.
  • Yeap! a salaried beeper gets it on the side where his wallet is carried. A beeper situation with an exempt manager means that something in the barn has gone drastically wrong and they had better go see what is wrong or the production manager will be paged, next and forced to go see what might be wrong. We have had the emergency curtins "fail to fall" when the power goes off. Without the curtins falling the animals inclosed are subject to being killed by the rising temperature that their bodies put out. No fresh air, one has a very large "bad situation" on his/her farm and the beeper alarm followed by a physical check within 30 minutes will normally correct what ever the concern is. Animal abuse in our "world of work" is not tolerated and the professionals know it.

PORK
  • Rockie,

Is there a way to write the x-ray duties into the job description for these ee's? I assume you have the old "all other duties as assigned" catch all that would cover this as well.

I would be uncomfortable entering the arena of paying ee's extra money to do "certain tasks" while they are already on duty.

For example, in addition to my duties as HR manager, I happen to be our webmaster. Why? Because I can. I don't ask to be paid additional money for the time I spend making changes to our website.

The appropriate response for these employees would have this specialized skill would be to ask for a raise, not additional money for time spent carrying a beeper.

Sometimes our assistant book keeper fixes the copy machine. She is the only here that understands that beast. Should we pay her $15 every time she removes a jammed copy?