Do I have a problem?

I have mentioned, once or twice, that I have an employee who is 'different.' The employee has been with us almost 10 years, and is so reliable that she for some time now has had to take time off or she will go over the max and lose time. She is NEVER late, and is always pleasant. She is so different though, that people have to work at liking her, and last year an employee left as an indirect result of hating to have to work with our strange duck. She really is different.

This employee does data entry and customer service. She is so accurate that she usually has the best accuracy record (by far) and is a large producer (has processed the most or been close to the top for years).

Recently we posted a job which she applied for. She was interviewed as a courtesy, but will not receive the job (her history on the phone makes that impossible...this position is much more senstive).

During the interview she said she couldn't listen to 2 books a week forever. When asked for clarification, it came out that while she is processing (but not while taking phone calls) she is listening to audio books.

Our processors are allowed to listen to the radio or personal music while processing, as long as they use headphones and turn it off while answering the phone. Listening to books seems a whole new level to me (wouldn't you naturally stop working during more interesting or exciting parts of a book), but I can't really say that it is impeding her work. I suspect she is producing a little less than she used to, but I can't prove it and am not sure I even want to look since she does such a good job right now.

This employee is really a strange duck. Am I just being sensitive because she is so weird, or do I have a problem? What would you do?

Nae

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Everyone "tasks" differently. I see no difference in listening to an audio book or listening to music, radio, or even talk radio; as long as she's following rules of turning it off when answering the phone. If she's performing to or above standards, I'd leave it alone.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-18-06 AT 02:21PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Never late
    Always reliable
    Always pleasant
    Best accuracy record
    Large producer

AND DOES IT ALL WHILE LISTENING TO BOOKS ON TAPE????

If you don't want her, I do! She'd make a great auditor! We'll even buy her as many books as her heart desires!
  • At one pot-luck she brough empty dishes instead of food since there would be so many leftovers.

When that caused problems the next time she brought a can of olives which she sat on the table unopened. She brought the same can at least 2-3 more times before she decided to try something else.

At one pot-luck, she walked by another employee's desk, saw something she liked on the plate sitting there (the employee was away from their desk) and, using her fingers, grabbed a bit off the plate.

She was reprimanded about 6 years ago for keeping track of the coming and going of other employees, including management, in her calendar. 2 years ago she was reprimanded again for the same thing. She didn't remember the first occassion, and it was under other ownership so we couldn't hold it against her. I think she was telling the truth about not remembering. She didn't do it to cause problems, complain about anyone, or use it in self-defense. I think she is just compulsive, but that doesn't make the other employees feel better when they realize what she is doing.

She checks out other people's in-baskets and tries to read what's on your desk (even upside down).

She tells you good morning every time she sees you (which can be several times in 20 minutes).

When the company buys donuts or pizza, she is busy counting to make sure she gets her fair share. If there are extra, she talks to everyone to find out who is getting the extra pieces.

Employee meetings take at least 30 minutes longer to answer her questions or hear her comments.

I won't go into her phone calls because there isn't enough time or space.

I could go on and on. On the other hand, I have never heard her complain about anyone, and have never seen her angry. She tries very hard to do what is asked of her. She really wants to be liked, but has no idea how to accomplish it. I like her sometimes, and try to ignore or get past the rest.

Do you really want her? I will be happy to pass on your job offer if you do.

Nae
  • One of the beauties of an auditor position in the hotel industry is that it's an 11 pm to 7 am shift and the employee works alone. We've had our share of 'different' people (read: could use personality implants) in that position whose skill set was superior, but their 'soft skills' were lacking. I wouldn't trade any of them for the world.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-18-06 AT 10:46PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Hmm.. I worked the 11 pm - 7 am shift at a hotel through several years of college. Screwed up my sleeping habits but it was an easy job and I could study while working.

I may have been one of those "different" people you were referring to.

As for Nae's question, I would not differentiate between books on tape and music played on headphones.

If its any condolences, in the non-profit sector we have had and currently have many people who would be considered "odd ducks" as you say. I find them interesting and highly devoted. So often, society gives these folks a cold shoulder and so when someone gives them a chance, they really appreciate it.

We had a laundry lady who was similar. She was very detailed and liked to read over other people's work and spot errors. It ticked off some people but I found her useful. I had her proofread my employee phone lists before publishing them. She loved it and it was helpful to me as well.

• Nae:

I wonder if you haven't already answered your own Q in the text of your initial post?

She gets more work done, and is far more accurate, than others in same/similar jobs. Whether she listens to music, audiobooks, or whatever, while being such a star producer should be no issue as long as were focusing on how she performs her job (the only appropriate focus).

Her snooping on others and reading stuff on their desks is inappropriate; and I would suggest "counseling" her to cease and desist those behaviors. But other than that, while sometimes mildly annoying to others, it doesn't sound like she's aggressively obnoxious in a way that would disrupt the workplace...?

All of us have our quirks...and some of us need to work on containing our quirks a little better at work...but an excellent EE is still an excellent EE.

• Thanks to all for your input. The manager who interviewed her and brought this to my attention was concerned about wasted time (she is good, but couldn't she be doing better?). Also, there was some concern that if we allow her to listen to books, then other employees will want to and they probably won't be as successful in getting work done while listening (music is more repetition than a story so less involved).

I am feeling very good about letting her do her thing since you all support it. I did not want our personal prejudices to influence us. Thanks for keeping us in line.

Parabeagle: if only we had a job where she could work on her own and away from others. She is the only employee I've ever met who had absolutely all the best qualities of an excellent employee while still having so many that cause conflict in the workplace. She just lacks some basic social skills (like knowing not to put your fingers in someone else's plate) and unfortunately, some employees do not give her any leeway for it. I wrestle with it myself, and am the only one I know of who has ever admitted to any liking for her.

Again, thanks to all for your input and help.

Nae

• Have you considered that she may have Asberger's syndrome?

You may want to do some research into that just so that you all can empathize with/understand her "weirdness."

Not trying to open up a can of ADA issues - just sounds like she may have that handicap.
  • I looked up Asberger and that is definitely not it. Frankly, I think her husband is so strange that it has rubbed off on her.

He is 25 years older than her, and has quite a bit of power. His actions and words have led me to believe for quite some time now that he has several compulsive disorders. I would think that living with anyone so mentally off would make any 'normal' person a little off themselves.

Nae
  • I live alone. So, what do I use for an excuse? x;-)
  • Never underestimate the "Evil Twin" concept...
  • The voices in your head???