Turnover Rates

I have been asked to calculate the turnover rate for our agency. Does anyone have a formula for this??

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I got a spreadsheet from somewhere that calculates it. Give me your email address and I will send it to you.

Nae
  • Spreadsheet? Terms/active employees %
  • >I got a spreadsheet from somewhere that
    >calculates it. Give me your email address and I
    >will send it to you.
    >
    >Nae

My email is [email]kschulenberg@nekcap.org[/email]
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-09-06 AT 04:12PM (CST)[/font][br][br]HRGAL: I use a fixed number (population) as of the last day of last year (2005). That is your starting point. As TNHR relates above, the spread sheet offered by another poster will contain these factors. After getting your base number by department you simply record a number that list the terminations. We do not count those retiring or those that leave sooner than 90 days. Then in your answer cell the formula will appear divide the "lost to termination over 90 days but less than the retirement age" by the fixed number of employees * 100% which gives you, your turnover rate for each department and then roll them all up and you will have the turnover rate for the entire company.

If you will e-mail me a contact message I will also provide you with my spreadsheet. My e-mail address is posted in the icon above.

PORK
    I left out an important piece, I hope it did not turn you off to badly, it read clear as water this morning and this afternoon it is as clear as the Mississippi Mud. Sorry about that, maybe no one read it before I corrected the post.
  • Pork, you may want to revise your post to indicate that YOU don't count separations under 90 days in your formula. Most people do. Matter of fact, I would argue this is probably the single most critical attrition level you want to capture simply because of the costs associated with on-boarding someone only to lose them at such a short tenure. It is also indicative of a failure in either your selection, hiring, on-boarding, initial training or all of the above.

Gene
  • TN HR: That point is clear in my posted information.

Our "world of work" is simply not for everyone, even after a tour and an opportunity to ask any question or to speak to any employee, we are still "hood winked" by those that just want a job verses a career. Any one can hide for 90 days but in our arena they are picked out and show their true colors within 3 weeks. There is nothing wrong with our selection process, high turnover in our 90 day arena is accepted and continuously worked on. We don't build A-Bombs, just these little baby pigs. It is a daily physically demanding job in all positions, so an individual can hide but he can't run form the team and it is the team that helps the individual to come to the pure understanding of what is acceptable behavior and what is not acceptable behavior for the team players.

We now far surpassed our previous goals. 11,000 baby pigs produced every week in any year and moving toward 12,000, while reducing our manpower in each worksite has been a real exciting thing. We have at the same time raised our average hourly rate of pay by 26 cents per hour across the board. We have now decided to open up another farm site that was already State and Federally permitted. That will move our sow numbers in production to almost 36,000.

Everyone keep eating Pork, the other white meat and we will keep pushing the Ham and Ribs to your tables.

PORK
  • I have to agree w/ Pork on this one. I do not include EEs who are employed <90 days in calculation of our turnover rate, since all EEs are in probationary status for the 1st 90 days.

I do track those who are terminated because they "flunk" their probation-- but I don't count them in turnover statistics. These individuals do represent a failure in our selection/orientation process (what can I say, no person or system is 100% perfect), and do represent a significant cost to the association; but we track that elsewhere, not in our basic turnover statistics.