In house and out house employment

OK, here's the situation. We have an employee that has been with a company for approximately 5 yrs and has progressed well within the organization in compensation and responsibility and is now at a level of HR Manager with annual salary of say $40,000. Due to growth, the company has had to look outside (out house) for other people to fill other HR Manager slots. Two have been hired with substantially more experience and degrees (both male). The in house HR Mgr is female. These two new hires have required more money to hire them. The duties of the 3 will be approximately the same and in all likelihood the in house HR Mgr will probably have to do training of the others in company philosophy and procedure.
So, here's the question. In this type of situation how do you proceed in eventually bringing the in house Mgr up to the pay level of the out house Mgrs?
I understand the Equal Pay issues.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • At our company we give the equity increases every 6 months, sometimes more frequently depending on how low they fall within the given pay range. Once they fall within the competitive range of their pay grade, the equity increases stop.
  • I don't think I would look for any wiggle room here. I would advocate bringing the in house person up to scale before she has a chance to develop an attitude about it. I know others will feel different though.
  • Dusty: In a case like this I would look to the company senior leadership to be made aware of the circumstances and the awkness of the situation. Obviously, the senior leadership have not previously been aware of the cost of professional HRs in the "world of work". O)nce made aware of the situation, I would hope that they would respond with an appropriate leveling increase and something for past insufficient knowledge to make a good decision on the value and worth of the primary HR.

Now, all of this is assuming that the primary HR has been producing in an outstanding level for the peer group of other managers. Additionally, the new HRs in different subordinate companies have a greater demand on their professional skills and abilities than the primary HR. If not then just maybe, the primary HR is not entitled to adjustments of income based on responsibilities and accountabilities. Job titles and levels within an organization do not necessarily mean that they are charged equally for more issues and things. Just because I make $42,000 a year for this divisions HR responsibilities does not mean that the HR at corporate who has considerably more farming operations to support than I do; however, he does have the benefits management piece of the business for the whole corporate body and I simply administer to those benefit requirements. he has the 401K and I simply get eberyone enrolled in my company. We are self standing in our state, but we answer to his needs. I would think that he should be salaried at no less than double my own. I have no (0) knowledge of what he makes and I have only asked him to tell me where I stand in line with like HRs at the company levels equal to our own, based on employee population.

Hope this helps! Not something we HRs should have to worry about, but if one feels underpaid as a company HR he/she should take the issue to his/her boss.

Pork