Can HR Directors have friends at work?

Ugh. I find myself in a tricky position, not for the first time.

I socialize with 3 or 4 people at work, by which i mean we get together (individually, not as a group) for dinner, lunch or a movie and wind up talking about work and non-work. Not a lot, maybe 3 or 4 times a year. We don't talk about HR confidential matters, I'm careful to draw the line there, although they are usually frank about what's going on in their work life. These are senior people, closer to or at my level in the company.

I find myself in the position of knowing about a personnel action about to hit someone I've socialized with, and actually having counseled her manager, in my HR capacity, on the appropriate next steps.

The EE has approached me for guidance about a meeting she is about to have with the supervisor, and part of me wants to tip her off to the content of this serious meeting, but as an HR director I should not. I know this will come back to bite me ("why didn't you tell me?)", and I'm wondering how others handle this. The last time I felt this uncomfortable was when I knew of the pending layoff of someone I'd call a casual work friend. She and I have not spoken since.

How do others handle this? Is it best to go by the rule "No Friends at Work?"

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I've been in situations like these so many times! But no, I don't think you need a "no friends at work" rule --- it's just not realistic. The workplace is a primary source of friends for adults, just like school is for kids. It's where you spend most of your waking life, so how can you not have friends there? I have worked at the same place for 23 years and would not have enjoyed my job near as much or stayed so long if I didn't count many coworkers among my casual friends, and one or two among my closest friends.

Nevertheless, I owe my professional allegiance to my employer, which includes holding back confidential information from a personal friend whom I know will be deeply affected by it. It may occasionally cast a temporary chill on a relationship, but so far no lasting damage has been done. I look at it this way: If someone doesn't understand my constraints and professional ethics in this particular regard, maybe she's not such a great friend after all. Those are the kind of work "friends" that you cannot afford to have.
  • Caroliso:
    This is sooo very simple. Not necessarily easy, but simple. Treating "a friend" the SAME as you treat any other employee is the path to follow. "Alerting" someone is not only unethical, but may be viewed as subversive to your employer and you'd be entitled to whatever discipline they chose to impose on you.
    You can have it both ways if your "friends" understand your "no work talk" philosophy. Don't permit them to drag into an area that you should avoid.
  • Very well stated as a professional HR. The company is my life and best friend; all of its parts are my equal friends non-are-treated differently. My loyality is to the whole corporate body and not just to each individual or group parts.

Our world is only for very special people, all look at us to say "I can do that", but few do and survive!

PORK
  • Your loyalty rests with your employer. They pay you to perform a job, which includes acting in good faith on the their behalf when faced with situations such as these.

When a friendship or relationship (in our out of work) creates a conflict for you in carrying out your duties to your employer, then you have to evaluate which is more important to you. Make your decision and move-on.

At the end of the day, if you cannot understand or live with the decision then you are probably in the wrong line of work and should bow-out gracefully.

Good luck.

Gene
  • >Caroliso:
    >
    >"Alerting" someone is not only unethical, but
    >may be viewed as subversive to your employer and
    >you'd be entitled to whatever discipline they
    >chose to impose on you.

I should have been more clear, my post was not precisely worded on the matter of revealing confidential info. I do not, and I would not. My dilemma had more to do with wondering how people managed the aftermath, and I've seen some intereting and useful responses so far. On both sides!

• Caroliso - I agree with others that your responsibility is to your employer. I found long ago that, in order to maintain the level of credibility I desire - and to promote a perception of objectiveness to associates, it's best for me (personnally) not to become too close with co-workers.

That said, I have to say that the "casual" work friend you had was obviously not very mature professionally. Ten years ago I worked in a small regional office for a large corporation. Almost everyone in our office was a manager or director, and we travelled together frequently. I became close with another female - to the extent that we often went out together on weekends with our husbands (who also got along well.)

We laid her off, and I planned her severance and outplacement benefits with the Reg. VP weeks before we sat with her to break the news. Though I did have some concerns about how she would feel about our friendship, I did not give her a "heads up" while at work or while meeting socially.

A few hours after our termination meeting, she called me at work. She asked, "How will this affect our friendship?" I replied, "For me, there is no change. Our friendship is completely separate from our jobs." Ten years later, she and her husband are still our best friends, close enough that we call each other "family."

I was lucky that she she was professional, and knew me well enough to recognize that my failure to alert her was not personal - it was my job.
  • Funny you should mention this, I ask myself this all the time! I cannot even count the number of times that I get the cold shoulder because a co-worker I was friendly with didn't like something HR related that happened to them, a friend or a relative that works here.

I have peers(other managers)but I find it hard to be anything more than just being friendly at work because I cannot figure out how to separate the political game playing stuff that goes on in the workplace from the person. I find some of the related behavior distasteful.

That being said there is one other person I do work with that I have spent time with her and her family outside of work and it seems to be working out well. I have no idea how that relationship would change if something HR related were to happen to her...I think this is just a sticky issue that really has no black or white answer!
  • I have several friends that work for the same company I do. I was friends with some prior to gaining employment here, some I made once I started working. Many are friends that I had before I joined the HR department. I have had some call me since I started in HR and asked for advice. I tell them the same thing I tell everyone else. We are very compartmentalized, so I direct them the the appropriate person and tell them they need to follow the procedures just like everyone else. I do not ask them for favors, I expect them to behave the same way. I had a close friend, he was in my wedding (he even dated my wife when we were all in high school), that was fired because he was not honest about damaging some equipment. He called me at home after being discharged and asked what he should do. I told him that he was stupid and should have told the truth. I then told him that if he did not agree, he should follow the proper procedures, which did not include calling me at home and asking about how to fix something that was his fault. We are still friends, he has gone on to another company and is happy there. Other than the night he called me at home, we have never talked about his discharge again.
  • Years ago I was "asked to leave" an HR position due to being involved with a partner of the law firm that employed me. That law firm had an unwritten policy that the HR staff were not to socialize with others in the firm. I've stuck with the policy of not being friends since. I have 'casual friends' at work but I do not socialize outside of the office with any of them except on a very rare occasion. This works well for me because even though I have no difficulty keeping confidential info private; I would not want to deal with discipling or terminating a friend; or knowing of a pending layoff and not warning.
  • Although it is good to be friendly with everyone at work, you cannot necessarily be their pal. Work relationships and professional relationships are just that. Social interaction outside of work can lead to many problems. Choose your close friends very carefully. In the HR world, we often have both the knowledge of unpleasant happenings and the authority and/or the mandate to make those unpleasant things happen. Depending on your level of authority, it is hard to avoid being feared or hated by some people. The message is hard to take so they turn against the messanger. Further, if you open up personal knowledge and issues to people at work, such things can be used back against you if the going gets tough. As far as having close friends at work, I do not say never, but I do say that if you are not very careful (and also somewhat lucky)you are bound to get burned. Good luck.
  • I have to agree with WT. My policy is to be friendly with people, but not what I consider "friends". Human Resources is privy to too much confidential information and if it gets out in the context of a social setting where you are merely in attendance, then you,automatically, become the culprit that divulged the info.

My HR Assistant hosted a party at her home where a terminated employee who was somewhat bitter was attending. They had all liked this particular individual personally, but her position was eliminated and she felt it was due to circumstances other than what she was told. She was offered another position and refused it. Her duties were combined into another, higher level position and a more qualified individual was promoted into this position. This was apparently a point of conversation between a few of the employees in attendance at the party when they went out into the yard. The upshot was that she filed a complaint with the Human Affairs Commission which went no where, but caused a lot of work and dollars spent on attorneys' fees.

If I had thought for one moment that my assistant was the one who divulged the information, I would have terminated her on the spot even though I like her personally very much. She understands my expectations for the department and what the consequences are if she steps over the line. She has to choose her friends at work and her conversations with them very carefully.

My assistant was very upset about this situation but she learned a very valuable lesson about becoming too friendly with employees outside of work and what it can lead to.

It's great when someone you terminate understands why, but as someone else said, they will target the messenger more likely than not. People in Human Resources who depend upon the workplace to foster friendships will more than likely find it doesn't work too well in the long run.

• By the way, I sincerely wish that this was not so. However, you take these issues with the job.
  • The key to this is whether or not the "friends" understand how your job will interact with the friendship if something happens. These are senior people so, if they are politically astute, they are operating the same way you are. If the roles were somehow reversed, chances are they would keep work and friendship separate, as can you. I think that it is fine to socialize so long as there is confidence that work and friendship can be kept separate. If it can't, the relationship should cool off and, in this case, if the person cannot understand your role, so be it.
  • For me, it would depend on the situation, and also how you define the word "friend." If my friend had done something wrong, was guilty and deserved punishment, then I would not feel guilty about keeping my mouth shut and my HR hat on my head. However, IF...if this person was what I consider a "true friend" and you are talking about something like a lay-off, then I would probably give him/her a head's up and do what I could to help behind the scenes. But from what you described, those people are not "true friends," they are more like "social friends." That's a horse of a different color, and so my duty would be to the company. Yes, I understand that by giving my true friend a head's up I would be committing an ethical breach....that's why I would reserve such an action for ONLY a "true friend." I only have a few of those....they've been around me for 30 years or more, and I can assure you that they are worthy of my complete loyalty, which I would give without hesitation, HR or no. Does that make me less than professional? Perhaps, but I think that makes me human as well, and every once in a great while I think it's okay to be more human than professional.
  • Crout, this really made me stop and think. I would not want to be in the position of working with lifelong friends, I must say. People would probably assume they had my ear and I theirs, and heaven help their subordinate who came to me for counsel, I'd have to recuse myself. And since I'm it for HR (other than my staff) that would be a problem.
    I'd also have to establish boundaries, I think. It's the same for casual friends who leave the company and become close friends, and i actually do have a handful of those, having worked here for 10+ years. I would not want to reveal something confidential and rely on the person to keep it to themselves. If people are anything like me, they forget where they heard a piece of juicy information, and could repeat something confidential without intending to break my confidence.
    This was very tricky when we had layoffs a few years ago. I had a couple of former colleagues who were extremely interested in the ins and outs of the process, the decision, and the aftermath, and i just was not willing to discuss it, which was a bit awkward but necessary for me.
    But, we all do what works for us, and I was glad to have the chance to think this through a bit.

• I feel that my place of employment is not a place for casual friends given my role as HR Director. It creates more problems that I am ready to deal with at this point. and if I can't be completely open with my friends at work anyway, then, why bother? My acquaintances are often other HR people from other divisions and even then, i refrain from saying "too much" eventhough they are very open about what goes on in their divisions. I keep my friends outside of the workplace, it's safer.
  • Being friends with subordinates is always a tricky situation. Being friends with peers or supervisors, CEO, etc., is not so dangerous. Being friends with subordinates can cause you grief. I know... I have lived through it and survived.

If you are friends with subordinates, the following happens: 1) Peers and superiors are paranoid that you are revealing management secrets; 2)Peers and superiors are jealous and fear you may have the inside tract on information not privy to them; 3) Peers and supervisors fear that their staff may be telling on them or telling their business that they want to remain within the department walls; 4)Subordinates feel that you are giving preferential treatment to someone other than them; 5)Subordinates feel they are 'protected' from all harm especially their supervisors; 6)Subordinates feel they are empowered by close association with you; and 7)If you are close friends with subordinates, everybody looks at you sideways.

shlshsm