Gave Notice, has to go, pay for notice?

I would like to know what are your practices regading pay when an employee gives two week notice, but you need to let the employee go before the two weeks. Do you pay the two weeks? do you pay only the time worked until you ask employee to leave?
I have an employee who gave two weeks notice, but we want to let him go sooner (like monday). I just want to pay for the time worked, but first I would like to kow what is common practice.

Thank you.

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-20-05 AT 08:47AM (CST)[/font][br][br]If the employee is up front enough to give two-weeks' notice and we need to let them go sooner, we would pay them for the two weeks. We feel that's only fair.

Edit: If you do let him go and not pay him for the period of notice, and he files a claim for UI, he will certainly prevail. You will be considered to have terminated him. If for some reason his new opportunity does not develop, he will be entitled to draw UI for 26 weeks. In addition to the UI and fairness issues, you will also send a loud, clear message to all employees that if they do the right thing and give you notice, you will terminate them immediately anyway. (D.D.)

• We also pay for the two weeks. Good points raised by the Mushroom.
  • Good points, especially about the "message" sent to employees. If you do not want anyone to ever give a two-week notice again, then go ahead and let the person go and only pay for the time worked. This will cause a severe problem though when you come in to work and find out that "Jon" isn't there because he quit yesterday, with no notice. If you're going to let them go early, give'em the two weeks pay.
  • We pay for the 2 weeks. Besides the good advice from mushroom, I always figure that since we're the ones who want him to leave sooner than his notice we should pay the price, not him.
  • Thank you for the good advice. You made me see the situation from other perspective. That surely helped.

• I agree with everyone here - very good points to consider.

When someone at our agency gives notice and (for whatever reasons, like security or suspicion of animosity) we decide to have them off work before their two weeks are up, we strongly suggest to them (by completing the Time Off Request for them) that they use accrued paid time off for the balance of their service time. They're going to get that pay with their last check anyway, so it reduces our costs to have them use just the paid leave instead of giving the paid leave in addition to unworked (unearned) wages. They get paid for the time not worked, either way. If they don't have two weeks of leave on the books, then there wasn't really any purpose for them to give notice anyway, as getting the paid leave upon termination is really the only reason to give notice, from an employee's perspective.

I'm curious as to what everyone's process is for deciding whether to let someone off before their notice time is up. We do it only if we suspect that the soon-to-be-ex employee intends malicious activity. Otherwise, we use the time left on the job to find and train the replacement. If there's only a hint of malice, we may really pare down the employee's access to sensitive data, but the time worked is essentially more valuable to us than the risk of damage.
  • I agree with your post atrimble. Why not let someone work through their two weeks notice unless afraid of some sort of "malicious activity". My process is this, case by case.

x:-)
  • Unless your State is unusually restrictive, I don't see how either one of your scenarios will protect your company from UI liability. It's pretty simple: If the EE give two-weeks notice and you want he/she gone sooner, but you do not want UI liability, you must pay them for the two weeks. When you say "strongly suggest," that the EE use PTO for the balance of the two weeks, what does that mean? Do you tell them that they'll be fired unless they use PTO?
  • > When you say "strongly suggest," that
    >the EE use PTO for the balance of the two weeks,
    >what does that mean? Do you tell them that
    >they'll be fired unless they use PTO?

Oh, no!. We suggest that they take a vacation before launching into their next career option - use that PTO for it's intended reason. Maybe I should have said "encourage." And, as far as I know, no employee has refused the suggestion/encouragement. There's no penalty if the employee wants to stay on for the two weeks, unless you consider less access to data a penalty. Actually, now that I think about it, if we REALLY wanted someone out, we probably would say "take PTO or you're fired," because we should have fired them before we received notice.

>Unless your State is unusually restrictive, I
    >don't see how either one of your scenarios will
    >protect your company from UI liability. It's
    >pretty simple: If the EE give two-weeks notice
    >and you want he/she gone sooner, but you do not
    >want UI liability, you must pay them for the two
    >weeks.
    Honestly, I typically don't worry about UI. If the employee "deserves" it, we don't fight it, and if they don't deserve it, they typically don't get it. I mean, if an employee gives a two week notice, they're typically responsible enough to have searched for and found another job to move to after leaving us. It's the employees who don't give notice that are most likely to claim UI, in my experience anyway.

• It has only happened a couple of times here and we paid the ee's for their full two weeks notice.

• I agree with everyone else. There is nothing to be gained by refusing to pay for the time other than a few $$. The message that will be sent to other employees has already been stated. It's not worth it.
  • CLACKY: "Internal loyality" is gone with this employee. We accept the individuals decision and normally accept the decision and send them packing immediately, with arrangements for the individual to come back in this after hours date to pack their personal belongings. We stop compensation except for the time already recorded with this weeks schedule. If leaving, as a result of hardship, we will let the person go and pay out the two weeks or one week or one day notice. This has happened maybe twice in 6 years.

It is known by all that "loyality" both ways is important, therefore, one must be prepared to leave within moments of a resignation and they most likely, will need some cash to help them get through with currently a "stop in pay and medical coverage". Our insurance ends on the day of the termination. We do pay out sick and vacation hours earned, if appropriate. We also take premium coverage and loss of uniforms and equipment from their last paychecks, if necessary to control the cost of same. If the individual is a "computer player", then we take control over the computer immediately. We shut it down by password change and make it incapable of entry from outside. Our receptionist pulled a good one on us before she turned her resignation in she erased all sorts of stuff, but thank goodness she did not realize that our corporate headquarters does back up of every single on-line computer several times a day. So what she erased we were able to pull up from North Carolina. She thought she was so smart and hurt us big time, but poor thing did not realize that a one time delete does not finish the deal. We were able to go into her "delete trash barrel" and pull back everything not cleared from there for the several hours of work accomplished prior to her issuance of her resignation.

Good Luck!

PORK
  • It's funny you mention "computer player." I honestly think this is one of the major reasons I still have a job here. I've got access to almost everything. I'm the computer administrator, so I have access not only to the PCs but to the servers and even the tape backups, as well as all the personnel records from 1957 onward. I also have keys to every office but one (security), and two alarm codes to every building. I think if the bosses wanted me to leave, they'd have to have our computer contractors and our maintenance staff come in over night to change everything, and terminate me at first light.

Not that I have even one tiny malicious bone in my body, mind you; I've worked too hard to get my employer to this point to turn around and destroy it. But I guess my example can serve as a warning to all those other employers out there who have handed their "keys to the kingom" over to one individual who may not be very happy with their employment situation. Be ready to shut down at a moment's notice, and have backup backups.
  • Many of you are saying that if you let the person go in lieu of letting them serve out their notice and don't pay them for the two weeks, you risk UI. Do you think the UI would be awarded to them ongoing or only for the two week period up to their voluntary resignation date? That wouldn't seem right if they choose to leave AND get UI. This has never happened to us, so I'm curious if any of you got stuck with paying ongoing UI for someone who resigned.
  • Cindy,
    This will probably vary a little from state to state, but in most cases that I am aware of, if an ER does not let the EE work out the notice and does not pay them in full for that notice, the UI review boards look on that as a termination and will award compensation for whatever period the EE qualifies for.