party invitation

If you have employee(s) who are out of work and collecting short/long-term disability, do you extend an invitation to them to attend a holiday party (if your company has one)? Would it make a difference if the party were in-house as opposed to being held off-premises? Thanks.

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi mushroomHR - I've debated your question in my head a bit and ultimately I decided I would.
  • We do. Thankfully we seldom have anyone on STD/LDT. But when we do we make it a point to invite them. We also invite all of our retirees to attend. For the past 3 or 4 years we have had to move our Christmas Dinner (Yes,we still call it a "Christmas" Dinner) to a larger city 25 miles away to have a facility with a banquet room large enough for all of our ee's and their guest.

• We also certainly invite them.
  • We also invite them. What I wrestle with (Mushroom, hope you don't mind my asking!) - how do we handle temps? Of course we have them attend our monthly luncheons, but we do "holiday gifts" (Christmas presents on my to-do list), and we have a "Holiday Party" (see previous) off site, on a Saturday evening. The previous person told me we don't do anything for them, but I know my feelings would be hurt. Plus they are working hard and making contributions (for the most part) like everyone else.

Then again, I just realized the one we have will only be with us until early December. But other years, it has been a question in my mind.
  • We have about 45 temps working for us and they are invited to our gathering because it in held on-site during working hours. They do not participate in the drawings--that's for our company employees only. We do however give the temps a small holiday bonus.
  • Plus they
    >are working hard and making contributions (for
    >the most part) like everyone else.

You answered your own question when you said they do the same work as everyone else. You want to keep their morale, work ethic, & safety awareness just as high as one of your permament employees. You can accomplish this at very low cost, i.e., some food and a small gift.

We don't have a Christmas party, but we do give gift certificates to all employees, including temps. We also pay them holiday pay if they qualify by our company policy (60 days), but don't qualify by their staffing agency's policy. Many temps have personally thanked me and if the occassion arises to bring them on full time, I always have a willing, upbeat new permanent employee.

• Of course we extend invitations to employees who are on STD/LTD. We also extend invitations to those who are on Lay-Off (if there is a current lay-off in progress)....Basically, everyone who is a current employee, and all retirees, receives an invitation to all events.
  • In another life we did not include those on disability and the thinking was if they are too sick to work they are too sick to attend a party. Harsh? Maybe. But that is what was done.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-21-05 AT 03:27PM (CST)[/font][br][br]We would and if there is a safety risk involved with the ees travels to get to the location we would press the ee to make other arrangements for transportation to include arranging for his safe delivery to the affair and return to home, if appropriate.

PORK
  • On a slightly different note, but related....I have a question regarding holiday parties as well. I work with a nonprofit agency who every year closes for one whole day and invites all the staff to a local restaurant for an end of the year, employee appreciation luncheon (they do not call it holiday party or anything related to that), and last year quite a few employees decided not to show up, or called in sick, etc. They choose to do this for building employee morale and to celebrate the end of the year together as a team of employees, so they want to keep doing it but are unsure as to how to handle these types of issues, and one other issue that came up this week...

A group of employees came to them saying that due to their religion (she thinks possibly Jehovah Witnesses, but it really doesn't matter I guess), they cannot attend the celebration/gathering, due to their religious convictions. The agency will of course grant them that request, but are unsure of the best way to handle this. They are thinking of informing employees who do not want to attend (for any reason, not just the religion reason), that they can miss the event, but will have to use a vacation or personal day in order to be paid. Would this possibly cause problems with discrimination do you think? They would extend this option to all employees, so I don't believe it would be, but I was wondering what other companies do in situations like this, and I'm sure it is more common than not. Or, can they make this day a mandatory day, and for those with sincerely held religious beliefs that would cause them to have to miss it, can they ask for proof without being discriminatory?? And if they get proof, then they could grant them a paid day off as a religious accommodation?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Ana
  • If the company closes and still pays employees for the day, you can not require them to attend or use a sick/vacation/personal day.

That would be like closing for Christmas Day, but then saying, anyone who isn't a Christian has to use a PTO day.

• If you make it mandatory, you will not only not improve morale, but you might create some resentment. My suggestion -change it to the summer and have a picnic or boatride. Invite families. Create something that people will want to attend. You are not required to have the party in December.

• We do not hold any such meetings/activities during regular business hours and they are always volunteer attendance. For the company sponsored Christmas dinner and picnic, we do require an RSVP so the caterers will know how much food to prepare. We do not challenge our ee's as to why they did not attend, it is their decision. With so many special dinners,parties, and etc. going on this time of year, it is difficult to find time to attend them all.
    Good luck...
  • I would ask the people whose religious beliefs apparently prevent them from attending an Employee Appreciation Dinner to explain why. I don't buy it.
  • RE: AnaFL.

I agree with Larry C. Ana made no mention of a religious event. An employee appreciation event is about as secular as it gets. It doesn't matter if the event is in the summer or winter or whenever.

The employee's work station that day is the appreciation luncheon. It's a workday just like any other workday except that the employee gets a free meal and some quality time with his/her fellow employees instead of having to perform actual work. Sounds like a "no brainer" to me. No show - No pay!
  • Years ago when I worked in Indianapolis, we had a department appreciation luncheon at a very nice, local restaurant (during working hours). It was the department head's first year with this department. Two employees could not attend the luncheon because the restaurant served alcohol (tho not at our table). I guess they were Southern Baptist.

Anyway, they were still paid for this time even though they stayed at work. Don't know for sure (I moved away), but I hope the location of the luncheon changed in the future.