Screening test for Mechanical Ability

If anyone has a copy of a test that screens for mechanical ability, ie. shows gears, shapes, basic math ability, please contact me or send me a copy. Thanks. [email]mwarren@portco.com[/email]

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-04-05 AT 11:07AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Before you use a canned test, review the several threads that exist pertaining to testing. My recommendation is that you get together with your engineers and put something together that fits the job in question. In particular, review the post in the Employment section "preemployment testing" by annmarie. It is on the second page of threads.
  • Contact the Psychological Corporation and use the Bennett Mechanical Comprehension test. You can find it on the internet.
  • I would recommend that you pay close attention to the sage advice given to you by Gillian. Using such a test as the mentioned Bennett Test, can get your company in extremely hot water if there is even one item on the test that does not directly relate to your company.

All it would take would be one phone call to a hungry attorney from one applicant that you did not hire based on results from such a test.
  • Thanks. I wasn't really looking for a canned test but one directed toward a manufacturing operation.
  • We are a printing and binding company. For some areas (especially bindery and maintenance), we started using the Standard Timing Model by Scientific Management Techniques. It a table-top machine that tests for troubleshooting/mechanical ability with an hands-on "test". Since we began using it in 1990, the quality of our machine operators has greatly improved because this unit tests someone's inate abilities. Our machine operators may do several set ups a day -- we do not run the same type job over and over. Scientific Management Techniques' phone number is 617-536-3933. The guy's name is Richard Whouley.
  • I checked out the web site for Scientific Management and their equipment is designed specifically for mechanics, which would work well if we needed it in that hiring area, but I don't see it being used in an entry machine operator positon that we would be looking at.