Handbooks

What is the best way of handling handbooks? Spell out every detail or be vague by "see your supervisor".
This came about regarding a request for Tuition Reimbursement.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We use very general descriptions for most of the handbook, written for the 8th grade reader. We direct them to published policies and procedures for more detail, or as you suggest, to their supervisor, or to HR.

We do add specific sign-offs of the whole policy for harassment, technology, and fmla.
  • I think the answer lies somewhere between spelling out every detail and being very vague. I would assume that you have policy and/or procedure manuals to take care of the details, and I don't believe an employee handbook provides much added value if it merely duplicates existing documents. Our handbook strives to be a "ready reference resource" that (1) summarizes and cites the relevant policies and procedures, and (2) brings the information of most use and interest to ees together in one place. The language of an employee handbook is also typically less formal and more accessible than the legalese usually associated with policies.

Our employee handbook is available in print form but it "lives" on our intranet, as do the referenced policies and procedures. So we are able to provide links at each point in the handbook where a policy or procedure is referenced, which provides an easy way for an employee with a particular question or concern to look further.

By the way, I don't mean to make this sound easy! It took me months to write our handbook, and I struggled a lot with the issue you've posed of too much vs. too little detail. Good luck!
  • SHEILA: Use my e-mail address and provide me with your e-mail address and I will give to you for your use as you deem appropriate a copy of our handbook which strives to reach the middle ground and a safe harbor. It has served me well for the last 20 years and been installed into 5 different companies with only minor changes to the words to fit the new company plan of action on each of 82 articles or maybe it is 72 articles in 82 pages.

Yours for the asking. I tried to e-mail you but your address is dis-abled.

PORK
  • >SHEILA: Use my e-mail address and provide me
    >with your e-mail address and I will give to you
    >for your use as you deem appropriate a copy of
    >our handbook which strives to reach the middle
    >ground and a safe harbor. It has served me well
    >for the last 20 years and been installed into 5
    >different companies with only minor changes to
    >the words to fit the new company plan of action
    >on each of 82 articles or maybe it is 72
    >articles in 82 pages.
    >
    >Yours for the asking. I tried to e-mail you but
    >your address is dis-abled.
    >
    >PORK

thanks, Pork,

My eamil is [email]sdion@designlabel.com[/email]

• Hi Sheila,

I'll send you ours also.
  • I am working on new handbooks, supervisors manuals and the whole thing. Would it be possible for me to get a copy of that handbook also? I have been with the forumn for some time, but am learning by reading and don't post very often. I would greately appreciate it. I probably am struggling more with the order than the content, but want some reassurance that I am doing it the right way. Thanks

[email]ghcshr@pgcom.net[/email]

Sassy
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-10-05 AT 12:39PM (CST)[/font][br][br]SASSY: I tried but the network administrator would not send the handbook for some reason. I'll try another way!
    PORK

I did and something is wrong in the address, I used: [email]ghcshr@pgcom.net[/email]. Can you identify what may be my problem? If you do not mind and if interested, why don't you send me an e-mail message and I will then reply, accordingly. I am known to not know how to use these new HR devices: computers, in general.

PORK
  • Would those who havesent handbooks include me -- I'm working on one now that was written in 1995!
    [email]bjklink@accessus.net[/email]

Oh -- thanks to all who take the time to help us all!
  • JKLINK: ON THE WAY BY SEPERATE E-MAIL! Did not mean to scream just slow in turning the dang thing off.

PORK