Background checks for teachers and volunteers

Are background checks required for all teachers, staff and volunteers at a school. We are located in the State of Illinois. If do the background checks, do you not hire anyone who has any kind of arrest or conviction, or is it limited to sex related crimes? Any information you can give me would be helpful!
Thanks
Leah4

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would look under HR Hero Special Reports, they have one on background checks. I would call the Illinois Dept. of Education or you could also use a background check company, such as Verifications, to help you figure out what is required and best for your organization. Keep in mind,what is required and best might not be the same.
  • Check with your state HHS (Health and Human Services) They should have a procedure and requirement for doing this. I am from Nebraska. We do background checks for all our Preschool program staff. Our HHS has told us we don't have to do volunteers if they are not left alone with the children. So, we don't do that. I do all new hires and then only if I have a reason to think that something has changed on an employee. Hope this helps some. If you get a report, then you can call, but they will give you limited information. My policy is that if they have a report on the central registry, I don't hire.
  • Thanks for the information!, I will check into it.