Drinking on the job? Don't ever assume...

I have a situation at work that I would love professional opinions on:

We have this employee who is really good at what he does and he's our main contender for a newly created position however there are some reservation with him because a number of people have smelled "alcohol". Now, with that being said, the man is always punctual, methodical in performing his job duties, has even won awards last year for his work. I have advised a number of managers not to approach the employee for a number of reasons:

1. If there's no disruption in workflow & productivity and there's no gross misconduct - why ruin a great Employer/Employee relationship?

2. The smell could be a form of medication that we're unaware of. (Call me naive but he did ask me about our prescription plan...)

3. If he admits to a drinking problem, all he would have to do is enroll in an AA program to protect his job and then we would have to manage and document every time he had to attend a meeting.

What are your thoughts? One of the hiring managers for the newly created position feels strongly that we should approach the situation but I feel it's opening "Pandora's box". Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Of course, the day he zaps himself and two other people on a two-phase 220V circuit and his flask of vodka is boiling in his pocket when the paramedics shut-off power you can tell the family and the lawyers and OSHA that you had your suspicions but didn;t want to open a pandora's box and ruin a great EE/ER relationship.
  • OK - now that you've gotten the sarcasm out of your system, please tell me how you would handle the situation.

>Of course, the day he zaps himself and two other
    >people on a two-phase 220V circuit and his flask
    >of vodka is boiling in his pocket when the
    >paramedics shut-off power you can tell the
    >family and the lawyers and OSHA that you had
    >your suspicions but didn;t want to open a
    >pandora's box and ruin a great EE/ER
    >relationship.

• I'd simply talk to him and ask about the alcohol smell. I'd focus entirely on his on-the-job conduct - whether he's under the influence at work. I wouldn't touch the issue of whether he's alcoholic or attends AA meetings. You don't want to perceive him as being disabled. All you want is him to be sober on the job.

Good luck.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • O come on, it was not a sarcastic response. It is a scenario/possibility that you have to face. TN HR should not be faulted for a sense of humor or a creative way of getting his point accross.
  • If I had received a response like #1 above, I would take a step back and think, "Am I that naive? Could the situation be THAT serious?" instead of getting offended. The response gave you a scenario that it does not appear you have thought of. That is helpful advice, if you're willing to accept it.

The point is that you are in a potentially serious situation, regardless of what type of business you are in. I would not drag him in for a breath test because someone reported several days ago that they smelled alcohol. (I guess this statement depends on just how long ago the issue was. ) I would NOT pass him over because of this, but I would PREPARE the company to deal with it, and any similar issues, from this point forward. I would create a policy about alcohol/drugs on the job. The next time someone stated that an ee smelled of alcohol I would immediately go to that person, along with their supervisor, and if either of us smelled it, send them for a breath test.
  • >If I had received a response like #1 above, I
    >would take a step back and think, "Am I that
    >naive? Could the situation be THAT serious?"
    >instead of getting offended. The response gave
    >you a scenario that it does not appear you have
    >thought of. That is helpful advice, if you're
    >willing to accept it.
    >

Very Well Said th-up

• It appears that the only issue you have is an offensive odor on the employee's person (assumed to be alcohol). I would address the "offensive odor" issue, remind the employee about your company's EAP (assuming you have one), and give him the new position if he is the most suitable candidate.
  • The odor of an alcoholic beverage emmiting from one's person is sufficient grounds under most reasonable suspicion policies to test.

Send the person in for a reasonable suspicion test. If you don't have such a policy then create one. Do not broach the subject of AA meetings, etc. Like James S. said, you do not want to perceive the individual as disabled because even he is not, your mere perception that he is is enough to grant him protection.
  • Gene and James S. if he truely has a drinking problem, and he is as good as stated, why wouldn't you want to help him? Why would you be afraid to have him attend AA? If he is that good, I would think you would be better off trying to save him, instead of waiting for him to be detained by the authorities or having to terminate him after he has a mishap of some type.

Over the last couple of years we have had 3 ee's go through rehab and now they are excellant employees and feel indebted to us for helping them out of their time of dependancy.

Just wondering why you wouldn't want to save them.
  • I won't directly answer for Gene and James, but I will say that, generally speaking, people have to save themselves in this situation. Statistics can be very misleading, but it is my understanding that it takes an average of 7 attempts at rehab before the average afflicted makes it through. People with this illness hit a "rock bottom" before recognizing the problem. Again, I am generalizing, and specific people all have their different stories and takes.

As to opening the ADA topic - once you have done that, the game changes with an EE that is so perceived. It is not that the "evil HR" people do not want to work with good EEs, it is up to the EE to identify the possibility of a disability to start the interactive process to arrive, or not, at an accomodation.
  • I don't think that it is an issue of not wanting to save him. At this point, there is nothing to save, because he has not identified himself as having a problem. It is also a legal issue if an employer makes judgements about perceived disabilities and then acts upon them. If, in this talk about the possible smell of alcohol, the person opens up and admits to a problem, then the help can be provided. It can also be provided at a later date if the person decides it is time to deal with the issue. That is the first step, whether it is now, or later.
  • SSD, the smell of alcohol is reasonable cause to send employee for a breathalyzer. At that point you are not accusing him of anything; you just smell alcohol and have to test. If he's positive, he has the choice of completing an assessment and treatment, or termination. The second offense is termination.