Employee Termination Mishaps

What are some common mistakes that managers and supervisors make when dealing with employee terminations? What kind of messes have managers made that you have had to clean up? How have you handled these situations, and what have you done to prevent there recurrance?

Anne Williams
Attorney Editor
M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC

Comments

• 26 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The most common ones have been along the lines of "you know, Jim (or Jane), we've tried to make this work for xx months now to no avail, we need someone younger, more energetic. This department is extremely dynamic and we need some young blood".

Usually idiotic comments such as these that land the company in hot water.

Gene
  • Unfortunately too many managers are uncomfortable dealing with people to start with. When it comes to terminations, some can take a bad or awkward situation and be unnecessarily rude or insensitive and that's when folks who normally wouldn't, go home and start reviewing and file suit for something because they're hurt and mad.
    Another one is those who terminate and then ask them to announce their resignation, which they won't because they're mad; the whole department gets upset and productivity plumets.
    There are some I've wanted to kick.
  • As a human service agency, we have lots of "feelers" on our staff at all levels. These people are not good at straight forward discussions about performance issues. Annual evaluations tend to focus only on positive traits while basically ignoring any problems.

So when a performance problem finally gets large enough to warrant implementing our progressive discipline process, even if the EE knows they have issues, he/she only has to point to the documentation in the file and wonder where all of this is coming from.

Usually by the time the issue has become large enough to discipline, the supervisor has finally had it with the EE and is ready to terminate - nothiong progressive about it.

Of course the EE is outraged that there have been all these issues that they supposedly knew nothing about.
  • I'm really sorry I have to terminate you. I don't want to do it because I really like you personally but I have no choice.
  • Yeah, we're in a 'feeler' environment too and that is the worst. They want to only document incidents with a 'note to file' as opposed to starting with the disciplinary process...then the whole thing blows and they want ME to terminate the ee immediately, only on the basis of a file full of notes to file. (NOT)

The ones that make me cringe when I sit in on a particularly sticky term and after much coaching are the talkers...they never know when to shut up so I DO kick them.

Jane
  • Managers who term as a knee-jerk reaction when angry - usually with little to no documentation of previous performance problems....GRRR!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-08-05 AT 12:49PM (CST)[/font][br][br] Managers should only have the right to suspend pending...no one should be termed w/o concurrence of at least one additional level of mgmt.
    Sorry! I forgot the topic.
  • Ann is writing another article or chapter for her book. You guys are being way to serious.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-08-05 AT 01:52PM (CST)[/font][br][br]OK. How about you call a staff meeting, line em' all up and say 'All you guys who still have a job take a step back. Not so fast Bupkiss...' At least it takes all of the personal emotion out of the equation. Better?
    Sorry Anne. We've got to keep Don happy, he's been through a lot.
  • Don is right - I'm trolling for some research. Since life is stranger than fiction, I figured you all would tell me more about what really happens than what I can read somewhere.

Thank you all for your participation! Keep those good stories coming.

Anne Williams
    Attorney Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC
  • I don't know that it was a 'mistake' but one of the oddest I know of was this: A large transportation company I quit, later had a reduction in force. The management team, a group of latter-day geniuses in their own minds, decided to have unannounced, secret before held, group meetings, three of them, simultaneously. One of the genuises decided to group all of those to be RIFfed in one room and have those who would be retained split into two other rooms, all at different ends of the spread out property (Campus to those of you who like such words).

I don't know what the logic was unless it was that anybody crying would be among others similarly affected in the same room at the same time. I heard that many of them were looking around the room, prior to the podium being taken, wondering, 'Hmmm, what could I have in common with these other people?'
  • Just last week..sup starts off by telling ee who he had been telling me we have got to get her out of here (new ee 9 days)she is just not catching on, doesn't like her job etc. When we get her in here he starts by saying I AM SO SORRY, I HATE TO DO THIS, I AM REALLY NOT FIRING YOU (DAH what are we doing here then)and again I am so sorry. I break in and say you have made it obivious that you don't like your job and the job that we hired you to do doesn't seem to be a good fit for you or you for the job. We wish you well. Talk about wanting to kick someone. I have had a conversation with this sup before about terming. With him I guess I am just going to have to take the lead and no give him a chance to say such things. UUAAAAAAAA
  • A department head asked me to meet him and 8 of his employees in our large meeting room. He said I'd know what it's about when we get there. I imagined an OSHA violation or reiteration of the sexual harassment policy. But I trusted him and agreed to be there in 15 minutes.

When we were all seated, the department head looked at them and said "You're all fired. I want Sam in here as my wittness. You all held a secret meeting at someone's house on Saturday to commit mutiny on me and I won't have it. This is an at will state and you're all fired."

I know what I did. What would y'all do?
  • I would kick him...but then I never would have walked into the room to begin with, not knowing any circumstances.

Did you kick yourself??? :)
  • Laugh hysterically and tell them that they just got PUNK'D?
  • Please...tell us what you did. Love the you've been punked idea!!!!
  • PUNK'D is my generation's version of Candid Camera. It is a show on MTV hosted by Ashton Kucher (of Demi Moore fame) where he plays practical jokes on celebrities.
  • Oh right. I remember my grandmother telling me about Candid Camera.
  • s#### in my pants but only if I was wearing appropriately colored slacks or skirt. Of course, my shoes would also have to match.
    My second choice is to leave the room, curse a blue streak, grab the president of the company (my brother), send the pres. into the room and get a good laugh over the revenge I was getting for the way he treated me when we were younger.
  • Here's the follow up. I tried to signal to the department head and said "Joe think about this first." Sparing a lot of dialogue, I asked him if I could talk to the group alone.

When he left the room, they explained their meeting to me. Most of their 'issues' were based upon rumors and they were trying to sort out what they should do about troublemakers. Too much detail to go into here, but I told them that they are not fired. I explained that their meeting was a legal protected right. I contacted Joe and managed to reason with him, assuring him they were not attempting to throw him overboard. We sent them back to work the same day. Of course there was a lot more to it - too lengthy to go into. As a follow up, we conducted some training on rumors and communications and the proper chain of command.

The two 'troublemakers' eventually 'rumored' themselves right out of a job.
  • I've probably posted this before, so excuse me if it is repetitious: I had a plant manager fire an employee for basically having a carry-lift catch on fire and burn up. The ee drove the lift (on fire) out of the plant (a sawmill full of dust and dry lumber), in my opinion, saving the plant. He atttempted to put out the fire with the extinguisher on the machine and another one he retrieved from the plant, but was unsuccessful. When the plant manager heard what happened, he fired the ee. Ee's supervisor called me and advised what happened, so I went to the locker room where the ee was packing up his stuff. I told him to put his things back in his locker and come back in to work the next morning. (This was a unionized plant)

I waited a couple hours for the manager to calm down, then went into his office and told him I had reinstated the ee, whereupon the plant manager fired me! By the time I cleaned out my desk and got home, my phone was ringing and the regional HR Director told me that he had heard about the incident, and I should go back to work the next morning as if nothing had happened. #-o Sound familiar?

Since I was supporting a family and it was the only job in town, I did so, but only stayed at the job until I could find other employment. This plant manager fired me two other times after that within a year. Great times!!!
  • Great story, Hunter1. Now you're happily situated in a local government!

Can a department with one full-time exempt employee get a union?
  • One big problem is when a manager lets emotions rule the decision, instead of following policy.

Such as firing an employee who called in to say he can't work because his girlfriend lost custody of her children in court that day and he wanted to take her out of town so she could hide her kids. (Not exactly the way he told the story, but the same result.) I told the supervisor to just assign points according to our attendance policy. If this is the only stupid thing he ever does then we're all ok, if not, the system will take care of him soon enough. (I hate to pay unemployment because the judge feels the employee had a compelling emergency, and we did not follow through on our policy.)

Another big problem is simply not documenting.

Such as firing an outside sales person who repeatedly did not work and refused to turn in paperwork. The supervisor simply said 'We really like you, but your sales numbers are just too low. I'll be happy to give you a good reference on another job, though.' If we had documenation of warnings on the absences etc. we could likely have won on unemployment. (The ee is the one who mentioned the offer of a good reference during the unemployment hearing, even though the supv. denied making the statement.)

As for follow up, I created a warning form specific to outside sales and gave a copy to each sales manager, emphasizing the importance of documenting every issue.
  • Here's a good one:

A few years ago I decided to go back to school. After talking it over with my boss (the COO), we decided it was in the best interest of the company to hire someone to take over my present position as director and I would take a reduced role (as schooling would take a number of years), and report TO this new person.

So he interviewed, I seconded, and we hired someone. Well, he and she were like oil and water.

After a particularly tense meeting between the two of them he left the office in a huff and called me from his cell phone to tell me to terminate her!

When I went into her office she looked at me and said "oh no, you're quitting." I replied, "no, I'm not". She said "oh...I'm fired". I said "yep". And that was that. She knew where it was coming from, but can you imaging having to fire your own supervisor?