Asked to Give a Speach

I have been asked to give a speach on interviewing / resume tips for job applicants. Instead of re-inventing the wheel, would someone like to share a speach outline you've already given? Or can someone direct me to a good online resource for material? Thanks.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I cannot offer an outline per se but a good website to check out is monster.com. There's a lot of good information there on those topics and it's geared toward job seekers.
  • I'm more geared for training the 'employer' on how to interview and what to look for in applications and resumes. What group are you speaking to? Whatever you tell this group (high school, college, job services) tell them to be honest and not to 'fluff' the resume. You know the rest - eye contact, cell phone off, yadda, yadda, yadda.
  • Hi Ed.I will be doing the same thing for our local state Workforce Center for a group of Russian immigrants. When I do this I cover two things: 1. How to get a job (applications, interviewing, follow-ups, etc.) and 2. How to keep a job (attendance, attitude, cross training).

If you would have told me back in the Fifties that someday I would be speaking to a bunch of Russians, I wouldn't have believed it.
  • You might want to share with the audience that eating lunch at the interviewer's desk during the interview is not advisable. 8-| Yes, I actually had an applicant that did that. She was surprised when the interview ended before she finished her lunch!