PHR certification

I've read conflicting reports on the importance of having PHR and SPHR certification. How much of a role does it play for prospective employers when deciding compensation? What are the benefits of having this certification? I am planning to take the test later this year just for the learning experience alone.

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In my opinion, the value has grown to where certification can certainly be the deciding factor when decisions are made when the candidates are two good HR people. In Ca. anyway, the Certification often is listed as a required or preferred requirement in the ads. Go for it.
  • Thanks. What study material did you find most helpful?
  • I don't know how it plays into compensation, however, I can tell you that more and more employers are making it a requirement. Don't let anyone fool you, it's not an easy test. The pass rate is between 45-60%. You will often hear from those who don't hold the certification that it is useless, doesn't mean anything, etc. Only you can be the judge of that.

I used the SHRM study material as well as the study guide by Anne Bogardus. No classes, self paced. Passed the first time through.

Good luck wichever route you decide on.

Gene
  • I took the sample test on the SHRM site and did well but it did look rather difficult. So many areas in which I no experience. Glad to hear the study guides are self paced...I'm way too old to pull all niters. Thanks.
  • Mine was too long ago, to make any recommendations. Nothing available today was available then, sorry. On the other hand, I'm glad it was a long time ago - I have "life time" certification, something not available today.
  • I am taking a 12 week prep course starting next month. It's one night a week for three hours. I am excited about the opportunity! Please let me know if you find additional study materials that you find useful.

Nietra
  • Some employers here advertise wanting the certification. I got mine as a morale booster because I was getting burned out going to school and knew I had at least 5 more years to get my degree through evening classes. I took a 12 week prep class on Saturdays to prepare for it and I'm glad I did. I should've gone for the SPHR and not the PHR. The teacher said the test was only a little bit harder but I wanted to pass so I only took the PHR & passed. I'm re-certifying for the 2nd time this December. I'd been in school getting my bachelors, so between my classes and organizations I belonged to I was able to get the 60 recertification credits in 3 years easily. Now that I'm out of school & my term is up I'm going to have to start going to workshops etc. starting next year if I want to keep my certification; I'm not taking that test again.

Good Luck.
  • The certifications are nice to have, and can make the difference to some employers. My best friend has her Masters and wanted to teach HR, but the college she applied to wanted a PhD. When they found out she was an SPHR, they accepted her based on that.

This certification exam is NOT an easy one. I went straight for the SPHR (thank goodness!) and NEVER want to take it again. Used the SHRM Learning System along with an online class. Worth every cent -- my company reimbursed me when I passed.

Yes, do go for it. The advantage is that you are credentialed, although I think HR experience is a far better teacher.
  • I also used SHRM Learning System and participated in study group through local SHRM chapter that met one night per week. When I took the test, I was blown away by the questions. I could not come up with a "textbook" answer for most of the questions. I relied on HR experience and passed first time.

Good Luck!
  • Thanks so much for the input and advice. Since you all are in agreement that it's a difficult test I'd better start crackin' those books. I'll let you know how I do.
  • I took the PHR and passed the first time. I took the prep course at our community college, took every practice test availiable, and paid my stepson to cut and fold the flash cards that come with the SHRM study modules (they are on the disk and you can print them out). As I was studying the flashcards, I wrote additional notes on them. I found the Mathis and Jackson "Human Resources Management" text book to be very helpful. I constantly crossreferenced the module and the text book while I was studying. The information in the text book was usually more descriptive.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-09-05 AT 03:14PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I used the SHRM learning center books and was fortunate enough to take the 4.5 day SHRM prep class. It was seminar style with homework and practice tests every night and additional optional workshops on some of the math. It was extremely intense, but also helpful to get the feedback from the others in the class. After I finished, I went through the books and those practice tests and I agree with the others, it's not an easy test. I did pass on the first time for the PHR and it helped with my credibility with my clients.
  • I think you will find that more people are using this "designation" as a possible deciding factor. However, I have seen it used too many times that people "flash it" to mean they know everything, and you don't. I too passed it the first time (SPHR) too many years ago to remember and am recertified for life. I hope you are a generalist, because you need this exposure to cover all subjects. What will help you depends on how disciplined you are. You can obtain material and do on your own time. I did 6 weeks course through SHRM chapter. Good way to network also. Be prepared. The questions are VERY tricky, which doesn't really help prove what you know, but how well you take tests. Good luck.
    E Wart
  • I find the credentials lend an additional authority to the position. I earned the PHR at my last job - my boss said to me " I hope you know this doesn't mean anything to me and won't get you any more $", but when I left - they wanted a PHR to replace me. My current employer appreciated the credentials and will pay for me to retake the program to brush up for the SPHR. I wish I took it in the first place. I did the SHRM program at a local college. I found the interaction helped, especially in areas I wasn't familiar with (labor).
  • Karen,

I can’t add much to the previous posters’ observations concerning the certification’s importance and value. For whatever its worth, more and more employers seem to be making it a required/preferred qualification for the HR professionals they hire. Not sure why, but I’ve also recently noticed attorneys and PhD’s adding it to their credentials.

I think that you will find that the conflict that you refer to almost always originates with those without the certification.

I used SHRM’s self-paced learning system (weekends and evenings) and took/passed the exam in 1998 mostly as a challenge to myself more than anything else.

Good luck in your endeavor and when you pass that exam, list those letters after your name with pride – and don't let the certification-envy types of the world tell you any different, you will have earned them.

Geno, SPHR

• Thanks Geno. I have added the cost of study materials to my dept budget that I will be submitting next week so it looks like I'm committed.