Help!!!

We are offering an out of state person to come to work for us and we are paying the moving expense up to $3000. We are at-will is there a way to word something to state some type of contract as far as must work 1 yr with company or must repay moving expense cost and NOT jeopardize the at-will.

This is the first time we have had this situation. PLEASE HELP of course I need this ASAP.

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Sure, it's a condition of the employment offer.

Just as if you offered someone tuition reimbursement. Employee must remain employed for two years following their final reimbursement payment otherwise the full cost of tuition will need to be repaid in full by XYZ date.

If you stated that he is contracted to work for you for a minimum of one year in which time you promised him a set salary, moving cost, etc. then you would negate the at will.

But just for good measure, why don't you throw in a claus on his moving agreement that after one year of employment the employee will no longer be liable to repay moving expenses, however this does not guarantee continued employment for the period of one year. XYZ, Inc. is an at will employer and either party can terminate the employment relationship at any time with or without cause or notice.
  • You can word it any way that you want, and the employee may think it has some legal basis thus may satisfy what you want. The fact of the matter, though, is that it won't work to claim "at will" and then negate it this way. Actually, it is a little more than that because in Ca. restricting the movement of people is a violation of their rights - kind of like requiring people to stick around a certain amount of time if they get education benefits.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-15-05 AT 03:44PM (CST)[/font][br][br]We always put that sort of thing in the offer letter that must be signed and a copy returned to the personnel file. Have even put 'reverse relocation' clauses in offer letters in response to candidate demands at the suggestion of their attorney. All of these types of formats have been run through company labor attorneys and they suggest them. Maybe I should put all these lawyers in touch with Gillian3 for their education.

This is not a restriction of movement, just a consequence of movement. They are perfectly free to quit and move if they like. They just repay the moving expenses or have it deducted from a final check or both. Restricting movement would be having a clause that says someone CANNOT leave your employ until the passage of an amount of time or that they MUST remain employed a certain amount of time after you educate them.

Disclaimer: This suggestion may not fly in the state of California. This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion, based on 37 years of HR experience. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • Your disclaimer that it may not fly in California gets you off the hook. Your advice may fly in many places but not here. The employment relationship must either be completely unfettered for either party (at will) or there is an employment contract for a specific period of time, renewable at the option of the company. If lnelson wants to write a contract for a certain period of time and hold the person to it, all well and good, but then it isn't "at will", because the employee has a right to have the contract honored. We really are on a tighter leash.

• Gillian3, am I reading your post correctly in that you are saying that a relocation agreement in CA negates the notion of "at-will" employment?

My company (in CA) has a relocation agreement for 2 years, stating that if the employee chooses to leave the company for any reason they will have to pay back a prorated portion of the relocation benefit. Logically, I still see this as "at-will". If I choose to leave (my will), part of the consequences of my decision is to pay back the money I received as this benefit, just as losing my health benefits would be another consequence if I chose to leave.

Maybe I read you wrong, could you clarify for me please?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-18-05 AT 09:09AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I agree that one does not negate the other. At- will and a payback agreement are NOT mutually exclusive, neither having anything whatever to do with the other. Having an agreement to pay back moving expenses, or agreeing to relocate the employee if you release him without cause within a certain period of time have nothing really at all to do with the at will relationship and are not a contract agreeing to employ for a period of time. Either of you is still free to terminate the employment relationship, at-will. These clauses only establish the consequences of exercising at-will decisions; they do not prohibit them.

Either employee can sever the relationship, at will. If the employer does, it relocates the ee and if the ee does, he pays the company back all or part of the original relocation package.

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • We have "at will" plastered on everything in our practice, even "payback agreements", sign-on bonuses, etc.

If we require a payback, we put this in the form of a promissory note which we have found is easier to collect on.

Healthcare workers are notorious for collecting signon bonuses and then wanting to leave and not pay them back before their time commitment is fulfilled. These were very popular in our area a few years ago, but because of the hassle and expense of trying to collect them from employees, they have pretty much fallen out of favor unless the employee is willing to sign a promissory note.

• Expanding a little on Rockie's point-- I would suggest that you not only include a repayment clause for the relo assistance, but also include specific language in the repayment agreement that authorizes the ER to deduct from the EE's final paycheck(s) for the amount of repayment required, and have the EE sign it and return to you. In VA, anyway, you must have a signed agreement from the EE in order to deduct from their paycheck for anything other than statutory deductions.

Our experience in getting former EEs to fork over repayment of debts to the ER (such as repayment of tuition assistance-- which we require if the EE leaves before completing a 2 yr service requirement) after leaving is pretty dismal.

Of course, we have decided not to get nasty about these collections-- we don't turn these debts over collection agcies or rat non-payers out to the credit bureau. We've decided that collecting the $$ is just not worth the negative word-of-mouth that this would generate on the street.
  • We are at-will and stay at-will in the relocation agreement. We have recently tightened both our procedures and our agreement. Relocation expenses are only an option for exempt employees moving more than 50 miles. Moving and any storage arrangements must be made through our negotiated contractors and they are paid directly by our company - and not reimbursed if handled otherwise. In addition, a lump sum is paid to the employee for other moving expenses based on a percentage of their salary. Expenses must be reimbursed if the employee either leaves the company voluntarily or is terminated for cause within one year. Our state also requires an agreement signed by the employee in order to deduct from any paycheck for such amounts, and we include that also.
  • We're awake now. Here are the problems as I see them. It is a contradiction to state "An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other (Ca. Labor Code)", then add a clause "except you have to stay two years so we can recoup our relocation expenses." The contradiction will be resolved in court - a California one. The other problem is the treatment of employee debts in California. It is very clear that wages belong to the employee and the employer can't attach them. This is what it says in my source book - "you may not deduct from an employee's final check any amount representing the unpaid balance of a debt owed by the employee even though the indebtedness is contained in a written agreement to pay the full amount of the debt on demand, at termination or otherwise." You could have an agreement, I suppose, that if the employee left before two years that they would forfeit the $$, but then you would face the debt issue and the cost of collection. The California employment relationship is decidedly in favor of the employee on the issues of employee freedom of movement and that wages belong to the employee.

Beyond this, there is a practical problem. I think employees stay with an employer because they like their job, the money, the people they work with, the company etc. etc. not because they signed a piece of paper agreeing to stay for two years or they will forfeit the money. I suppose one could look at all the successes and say that those agreement sure work - no one has left within the specified time frame, but I don't think that it is the piece of paper that caused that. In reality, the only time this will become an issue is if 1) there is an agreement for a specified time, 2) the employee turns in notice before the time arrives, 3)the employer reminds the employee of the agreement, 4)the employee leaves anyway, 5)the employer decides that they want to retain an employee who doesn't want to be there and goes to court to enforce the agreement or recover the $$. By then, the legal expenses will be more than the $$ invested in relocation
    expenses.

Finally, regarding the original post and the $3,000 expense, I don't know what would be a reasonable time frame to expect an employee to stick around if you decide to do that. Is $3,000 two weeks wages, less? I don't think it is reasonable to expect an employee to stick around for a year so that you can recover the equivalent of a couple of weeks of pay. Maybe the expection that they will give you two weeks notice is all you could expect and they will probably give you that, or more, anyway.

That's my opinion, and remember, this is California. Things can be very different elsewhere.
  • OK, not to stir things up - but in CA could you write an agreement that for every six months the employee remains employed with the company they will reimburse him X amount for relocation costs?

That may not be an attracitve package or an incentive to make the move, but if the employer is so worried about losing only 3K to move this guy, he obviously isn't at the top of the food chain. No diss on your company, but that is a very tiny relo package or it's one squeezed out to a canidate whose position you weren't planning on relocating.

Anyway - just curious how CA law would handle the situation if it were on a reimbursement basis.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-19-05 AT 09:51AM (CST)[/font][br][br]'Thinking' and 'feeling' and 'assuming' are not good things to rely on when developing a legal contract or agreement. Most of the processes mentioned on the thread involved legal advice and monitoring. I can't see giving that up in favor of just 'thinking it through'.

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.