corrective action policies

I am on a committee that is reviewing our corrective action policy. I would sincerely appreciate anyone who is willing to share their policies with me. I can be emailed at [email]mexiachiro@glade.net[/email] I had posted on the HR documents link, but did not get much response

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Can you elaborate as to what types of things are evaluated which require corrective action? Is it a formal process like an ISO 9000 requirement of corrective action (CARS)?
  • Thanks for responding. We are reviewing corrective action taken re: attendance, performance, and code of conduct violations.
  • Our policy and procedure go along these lines: If there are two or more incidents of attendance issues in a month, a letter is generated from HR. The supervisor is required to meet with the ee and go over the letter, issue a step 1 in our 'performance commitment' process and get the ee's signature. Any performance or conduct issue warrants an additional step. Steps are written summaries stating the rule, the infraction, what is expected and the consequences for non-correction.

The employee is allowed to advance through four steps, a combination of performance, attendance, behavior, etc. Step five requires a written commitment letter from the ee stating whether he wants to work here, and what he will do to correct. If he does not, he self terminates.

The Corporation considers this a more employee-friendly corrective action policy and procedure than simply three strikes and you're out because it offers more opportunity and eventually gives the ee a chance to buy into a commitment to improve. It's considered non-punitive. I argued against it for a couple of years but have bought into it.

Don't know that this will help you. But, whatever you come up with, I suggest it should be reduced totally to written policy and you should be able to explain and defend it. You will need to in hearings of all sorts.
  • Here is our summarized version from the handbook. Like LivinDon, I am not certain what you are looking for, but have posted this just in case.

We have various forms and conduct periodic trainings related to the process.

2. Unacceptable Job Performance and Disciplinary Actions

Every employee is given a job description that outlines the scope of their job duties and an Employee Handbook which provides guidelines for appropriate behavior. If an employee’s job performance or behavior falls below acceptable standards corrective action will be initiated.

The goal of corrective action is to correct inappropriate behavior and/or unsatisfactory job performance, by alerting an employee to his or her unacceptable behavior and indicating what must be done to correct it.

The following represents the recommended action steps to improve behavior/job performance but if an action or failure to act is egregious, or obviously impermissible, action steps may be omitted in favor of termination. It is important to remember that employment at the (company) is at-will.

If an employee’s behavior or their job performance becomes unacceptable the following actions may be initiated:

• Verbal feedback
    • Verbal warning (documented and placed in employee file)
    • Written warning (placed in employee file)
    • Suspension, with or without pay (not to exceed 30 days)
    • Termination

The employee will be given the opportunity to respond. This feedback will re-establish the standards of job-performance expected of the employee by explaining what must be done to bring their conduct/performance back in compliance, and the time frame they have to improve.

Terminated employees, with the exception of an employee on introductory status, shall have the right to appeal the decision through the grievance procedure with can be found in the Employee Handbook.

• Similar to Don's and Marc's ours is:

• Verbal feedback
    • Verbal warning (documented and placed in employee file)
    • Written warning (placed in employee file)
    • Paid suspension day where employee prepares a written commitment letter stating whether he wants to work here, and what he will do to correct. If he does not, he self terminates.
    • Termination for any further policy infraction after commitment letter

Of course, depending upon the policy infraction termination can be immediate.

Just a note regarding attendance and lateness, our policy includes language as to what constitutes an infraction; i.e. how many times are you late or how many times are you absent before one gets verbally reprimanded.

On a personal note, I like suspension without pay for the period where the employee goes off and thinks about whether he wants to make a commitment to the company. Cynic that I am, I see the employee taking the day off with pay, teeing off on the back nine, and later that night scribbling a few lines on a sheet of paper saying he'll do better the next time.

Our policies state that suspension without pay is an option but no one wants to use it.
  • We too have a policy of suspension with pay not to exceed 30 days. I have tried to get this for myself for many years without success.