tongue ring

One of our technical service reps who meets with the companies we serve has started sporting a tongue ring/stud. His manager has asked him to remove it while meeting with our customers. He has refused. We do not address piercings in our handbook - just personal appearance as regards clothing. Can we insist on removing the ring during business or else? Employee is in Massachusetts.

Any advice? Thanks for any help!

I think we have a legitimate interest in presenting a neat, tidy and reserved appearance to our clients. But maybe I am just getting old and intolerant.

Catherine

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes you can enforce it. And of course in doing so it is setting a precedence for all future facial piercings.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a part of the dress code. If you have any policy that states that employees are required to present a professional image and/or demeanor to clients, it can be incorporated into that policy/statement.

If the employee refused to follow such orders/policy/guidelines/procedure,etc. he can be let go for violation such policy as well as insubordination. However it would be in your best interest to follow the disciplinary procedures and to document each infraction/violation of policy.

Or - you could ask the employee to get a flat/acrylic tounge ring so that it would not be noticeable when dealing with customers.

At least that would show a willingness to accomodate his style without breaking client/company code.

• Unless NC has its own statue on body piercings, I would certainly think that you can "either or" him with this new appliance. I don't believe employers have been forced to soften their public image issues due to employees wanting to argue their civil right or freedom of expression.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-27-05 AT 03:36PM (CST)[/font][br][br]They haven't. Employers set the rules.
  • Thanks all -
    I am dealing with the communist state of Massachusetts, not NC, in this instance. They're a little more liberal up there. (APOLOGIES TO MASS! We have our own truisms down here in NC to deal with)

Catherine
  • Well, Catherine, I don't envy your employee. First, I agree that the tongue ring is inappropriate. We have faced the same issue with some of our Tellers in this Bank. We remain firm that facial piercings, other than the ears, are not in keeping with the professional image a bank should project. Our employees cooperate.

But, when an HR person refers to Massachusetts as a Communist state, it means one of three things: 1) They have never been to a real Communist state/nation; 2) They have never been to Massachusetts; 3) Maybe they don't belong in HR. Mass. has been the leader of this country in many regards over the past 250 years. Remember, it was the only state in 1972 that recognized Richard Nixon for what he was--a criminal, and did not re-elect him. There are other legislative matters now in Mass. that show they are once again in the vanguard of personal rights.

Please don't let your right-leaning attitude get in the midst of your handling of this HR issue (the tongue ring). It could prove damaging for your company, even if you are in a bastion of right wing conservatism. Federal employment laws really don't mirror the mind set of North Carolina as closely as they do that in Mass.

Gary
  • Relax Gary. Jesse and Strom are gone.

Have you ever dealt with MA state employment issues?

I apologize - I was not referring to "social" values when I referred to MA as communist. My bad. Won't do it again.

Just for the record, I have very liberal views. And the "mindset" of NC? Aren't you generalizing just like I did?

Even so, anyone who deals with HR in more than one state and has to deal with Mass and Cal will tell you that they are a hassle.

Cheers!
  • Don't worry about setting a precedent. Don't compromise with him on a less visual stud. Just tell him it is a business decision and the decision is that wearing the stud (or whatever else you decide) negatively impacts the company's business mission. Period. End of discussion.
  • The other issue with tongue piercings is that it does impact speech...especially when they are new. I'm sure your clients want to be able to understand clearly what your employee is saying.

• That may well be true, but, puleeze; it is not wise use of your time to go down all the rabbit trails and discussions and explanations with the employee. For every explanation you offer, he/she will only offer up another rationale. Skip all the fluff and tell him to remove the offensive item and that he will be terminated immediately if he reoffends.
  • My take on tongue rings is that when a sales rep has one, it focuses my attention away from what he/she is saying. I find it personally disgusting (how do they drink hot coffee?), so I would not let an employee who interacts with clients wear one. I believe the employer has the right to dictate how their image is presented by their reps. Like it or not, clients tend to base their opinion of the company on their representatives. Picture Bill Gates with facial piercing, or Lee Iacocca. The late Tom Landry! Would networks allow eyebrow piercings or tongue studs? Sure, Ed Bradley wears an earring, but that's about it. (I think it looks a little silly) Maybe the ee would like to be reassigned to a position that does not put him in contact with clients.

Linda
  • I don't wonder about drinking, I can't see how they can EAT anything with that in their tongue!!!
  • my brother undid THOUSANDS of dollars of dental work with his...put chips and cracks in a bunch of his teeth...can't imagine that it was worth it...

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-29-05 AT 10:09AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I have heard that they are only good for one thing, but it would not pass the test of Forum etiquette if I tried posting it, so I won't even bring it up.
  • Sounds like a wise decision on your part, Don.

Linda
  • I heard that they make tying a cherry stem into a knot with the tongue easier, but have no personal experience with this act. x;-)