I-9 Form Updated

Does anyone know the site to download the updated I-9 form with the DHS info. listed?
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Comments

• 30 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'd be interested as well. I checked numerous sites and could not find an updated form unless it was one that someone was selling.

• Please look about 9 messages down where I have my posting on the 5/31/05 I-9 update. I failed to put it in my original message, but sent a second posting with it in there.
    Good luck.
    E Wart
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-22-05 AT 07:58AM (CST)[/font][br][br]At the painful risk of inviting posts regarding the SaVe PrOgRam, here is an email I got from a vendor yesterday. The links won't 'light up' so if you're interested you can copy and paste them to your bar. (edit: Actually they did light up.)

The Federal government has updated the required I-9 form for the first time since 1991. ALL new employees must fill out this form:
    [url]http://www.pbcompliance.com/05i922?ID=-1780844410[/url]

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has updated the I-9 to bring
    it in line with current immigration and naturalization regulations.
    Your company is REQUIRED to have an I-9 on file for every one of its
    employees as proof of citizenship or eligibility to work. You must be
    able to present the completed form to an authorized government
    representative upon request.

Failure to provide a properly documented I-9 form can result in fines
    of up to $1,000 per employee.

Pre-order your updated I-9 form today and ensure you are in
    compliance.

Take a look at this form here:

These are available individually or as part of a complete pack
    at a limited-time savings of 15%. Go to:
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-22-05 AT 02:29PM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-22-05 AT 09:08 AM (CST)[/font]

lbrenner: You can also do a google with "I-9 Form" and it will take you to the Revised I-9. You should also explore the threads below your post on the "SAVE Program", the new I-9 Form Revised is directly linked to USCIS and SSA Data Banks. You can now "validate the documents and data contained thereon for your new hires" that are presented as proof of one's right to work in our country. Upon validation you can print of the case information and attach it to the I-9 Revised Form and file it away in your I-9 file. As Don stated, so clearly above, there are serious penalties for failing to complete and maintain a good I-9 documentation program. By the way the new form goes into effect 12/31/2005, but we are all welcome to start using the Revised I-9 now.

My e-mail is open to you if you want to seek any additional help in this new verification system.

PORK

Based upon the two post below, I again must provide additional information for the use of lbrenner, other FORUM members or they can stay stuck in defiance of facts, if they choose! From the Employer's Handbook, which I have downloaded from the SAVE PROGRAM, comes the following....To comply with the law, you must verify the identity and employment eligibility of anyone you hire, and complete and retain a form I-9 like the the one contained in the handbook" (which is the Revised Form I-9)! Nothing new here, we always had to do this.

Previously, we were able to accept the pure nature of the documents presented for verification as valid. Effective 12/31/2005 that will no longer be the case. "Verify" will mean the comparsion of the document DATA presented IAW the Law, The immigration Act of 1990, by submitting the data contained in a presented document with the DATA Bank of the USCIS and the SSA. Which does tie in the DATA on the I-9 to the DATA Banks of both the USCIS and SSA.

On our front door there is now a new hiring policy poster which announces: THIS COMPANY HIRES LAWFUL WORKERS ONLY---U.S. CITIZENS OR NATIONALS AND AND NON-CITIZENS WITH VALID WORK AUTHORIZATIONS - WITHOUT DISCRIMINATION. Federal immigration law requires all employers to verify both the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the united states.

In its efforts to meet the law's requirement, this company is participating in the Basic Pilot program established by the Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration (SSA) to aid employers in verifying the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.......

So don't become confused by my writings or any other FORUM members who shoose to disregard the facts as it pertains to the SAVE PROGRAM and the future happenings in our HR world of work.

PORK
  • I would like to point out that the the new I-9 form is in no way "linked" to any data banks or programs. It is a stand-alone process. Any implication otherwise is simply misinformation.

Gene
  • At the risk of having my post removed pOrK, it is apparent you take great solace in posting SAVE information to any post you find remotely related. But, it is not even necessary that there be a relationship. I find this highly annoying but am only speaking for myself. You are becoming as annoying, frankly, as 'popups' on my home computer. I will gladly pay for a PoRk filter.
  • OK back to the topic at hand - In looking over the changes it states From l-766 under list A, Item 10 is now an acceptable document. Does form l-688B still remain acceptable under A 10 also?
  • NJJEL: According to my "handbook for employers" the Unexpired Employment Authorization Document issued by USCIS (Form I-688B) is authorized for both the identity and eligibility requirements under List A.

PORK
  • THIS COMPANY HIRES LAWFUL WORKERS ONLY---U.S. CITIZENS OR NATIONALS AND AND NON-CITIZENS WITH VALID WORK AUTHORIZATIONS - WITHOUT DISCRIMINATION

In the context of this thing you have on your front door, what are 'nationals'?
  • DON: My sons are nationals: They were born in GERMANY to US Citizens in a Department of Defense facility. Marie Ortiz's three children are U.S. Citizens by birth for they were born in our country, the good ole USA. Marie is a Hispanic and an illegal immigrant traveling around our country from one job to another job. There is a difference and there are different benefits associated with the category. As a National my sons can not grow up and become the President of the United States, but the three children who are U.S. Citizens can become the President of the United States.

PORK
  • Nijel, if you look at my post you will see why I am so irrated about the new I-9's. I guess you can say they are an improvement, but the regs are conflicting with what the I-9 is... and this was passed in 1997.
    According to the new I-9, the # 6 is a presentable document. However, based on the info from the 9/30/97 62 Fed Reg 51001-51006 it isn't. However, I feel this reg is insulting to employers. It's like... we don't want to throw too many changes at you at once to confuse you so you don't have to adbide by this document yet, even though it has been "enacted". So until a new, correct I-9 comes out, (which may be again before the end of the year) I am going to use what it says on the I-9 even though I know it is wrong. I kind of went backwards and "recreated sort of my own List A based on this new Reg. I can fax it to you if you send me your fax no.
    Ellen
    E Wart
  • After reading the info on the website it appears to me that the following documents are currently acceptable for list "A"

1. US Passport (unexpired or expired)
    2. Unexpired foreign passport, with l-551 stamp or attached For l-94 indicating unexpired employment authorization
    3. Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card with photograph (Form l-551)
    4. Unexpired Temporary Resident Card (Form l-688)
    5. Unexpired Employment Authorization Card (Form l-688A)
    6. Unexpired Employment Authorization Document issued by DHS that contains a photograph (Form l-688B) and (Form l-766)

Does anyone concur?
  • NJJEL: No, reading from the new form the list A is, as follows:
    1. U.S. Passport (unexpired or expired)
    2. Certificate of U.S. Citizenship
    (USCIS Form N-560 or N-561)
    3. Certificate of Naturalization
    USCIS N-550 or N-570)
    4. Unexpired foreign passport, with I-551 stamp or attached Form I-94 indicating unexpired employment authorization.
    5. Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card with photograph (USCIS Form I-151 or I-551)
    6. Unexpired Temporary Resident Card (USCIS Form I-688)
    7. Unexpired Employment Authorization Card (USCIS Form I-688A)
    8. Unexpired Reentry Permit (USCIS Form Form I-571)
    9. Unexpired Refugee Travel Document (USCIS Form I-571)
    10. Unexpired Employment Authorization Document issued by USCIS that contains a photograph (USCIS Form I-688B)

Most of these documents have never been presented to me for use as a List A item; however, the new handbook has a picture of the documents and written words to help one identify the different items that may be presented and used to complete the I-9 Form.

PORK

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-24-05 AT 10:57AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Pork - no that is from the old list. While the form still has those documents listed, there is an addendem on the website that advises the list as I gave it and states that those documents are no longer acceptable. It is listed under special instructions on the first page of the website [url]http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-9.htm[/url]
    Check it out. It state "Please note the follow changes to the Form I-9 process: etc. etc.

Edit - there is one new form that is now acceptable and thatis Form *-766 (Employment Authorization Document)
  • I concur with your list above, njjel.
  • NJJEL: Your are correct, and what we (HRs who are interested) must do is go to your suggested site (LINK) and then go to the bottom sections and click on (DHS issues Rebranded Form I-9). That will take one to the PRESS RELEASE that when read will clarify what is going on and it tells me to pull (download) the new form (which I have done) and it has the identified brand of the I-9, which I have previously written about and it is Form I-9 (REV 05/31/o5)N (Prior editions may be used until 12/31/2005). Use this form and its instructions and you will be in compliance as of Dec 31, 2005.

Based on the Press Release, I feel comfortable in using the document I downloaded from the SAVE Program instructions.

PORK
  • pOrK, your post above makes no sense to me. You contradict yourself. Besides, maybe you can explain to us what the SAVE program has to do with the topic at hand.
  • How many times have you told us you are dropping this whole thing and won't weigh back in on SaVe or it's evils and ills? x:-) For the first time in my life I have a corporate office that I am not in and the beauty of that is I don't have to do a damned thing about this whole mess until I get an instructional memorandum from those guys who will have sorted through it all.
  • TN HR: I take you for your words, you announced in one of your other post that you were done with this subject. It has everything to do with this post and this thread.

PORK
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-24-05 AT 04:14PM (CST)[/font][br][br]TN HR: Oh I have, but you don't read and understand, so do your self a favor and do a little more reading and research and you'll discover the answer to your own question and negative comments. Even Don heard your disclaimer that YOU WERE THROUGH WITH THIS TOPIC. You can be through for now, but soon the old clock is going to come a rolling into the station and park on your pier for action. Don't worry I'll be here I hope, to watch you eat every word of your pronouncements. As Don writes above, he'll wait until the program is mandated and then get to work on it. In you company you might need to start now, because I believe you told me that you hire lots of foreign nationals. this program might just help you to sort out the good guys from the bad guys since they all look the same to you.

PORK
  • OK boys, I'm becoming offended. You two quit this personal exchange. PoRk, I want you to stop hijacking with SaVe. Gene, I want you to stop shooting spitballs at PoRk. PorK, I want you to stop being so preachy about this. You don't do any of us a service when you preach and mandate and cajole and tell everybody the sky is falling and the world is coming to an end if they don't heed your words. Pull back. Let your powder dry. Visit HRdeHar and chill. PoRk, there is more to life than SAVE and more to life than wrinkled eyebrows and getting overly serious all day long about life. Go to that side of the board and tell us the last joke you heard. Just do it. It will make you feel good. Trust me. Try it.
  • Nijjel, I am still confused. (See my earlier Email on this subject.) Which is the most up to date the "Y" or the "N" version form and why have 2 forms with the same date.?
    Also, I haven't been able to find the "Employer's Handbook" (updated version) that goes with the new form. Do you know if it is out there. (One place on the web site I read that it hasn't been updated. Then I ready somewhere else that it was referenced?

E Wart
  • I don't know where to download it, but it really isn't necessary to use it. According to US Dept of Homeland Security, US Citizenship and Immigration Services, we are still safe using the I-9 with a revision date of 11/21/91. The recently "rebranded" I-9 has no substantive changes made. Once DHS has made these changes, a new Form I-9 will be issued.

okieHR
  • You are correct that you can continue to use the old one. But you do have to begin using new one by 1/1/06 unless it is revised again before then.

E Wart
  • NJJEL & E-Wart: Do this google and it will walk you to the Employer's Handbook for download.
    1) Immigration Handbooks, Manuals, and Policy Guidlines.
    2) Click on Immigration Policy and Procedures Memorandum.
    3) When on this site, go to the bottom of the list in the dark blue the left side of the page and click on Immigration and Manuals Handbook for Employer (M-274
    4) Click on Handbook for Employers (M-274)
    5) Set your printer to print out all 33 pages.

Your are right this handbook and the Re-Branded I-9 are ceritified by USICS for use now. The Rebranded I-9 has most of the changes that will be made in the final I-9 Product. We employers are welcome to use this handbook and form for processing I-9s and be in compliance with the Federal Requirements for identification and verification of the ee's "right to work" in our country until 12/31/2005.

My E-Mail icon is open for you to seek additional information, if you choose. Key words that will be important to you and all employers is the requirement to identify and verify an ee's information contained on the I-9 Form. We never had the ability to verify the information contained on any two documents presented IAW the I-9 Form. We do have the ability to verify the data today!

Good Luck in your search, but don't get confused there is help, just ask me and I will help you in your search for your concerns in this area of interest to all HRs.

PORK
  • OK Pork I hear ya. I went directly to the government site and found what I stated in my post above. Therefore I still interpret it that we are also correct NOT to accept the forms as listed and to accept the additional form as listed.
  • Pork, thanks for your help with this. However, I had located this previously. The copy that I downloaded was the 11/91 version that is 36 pages. I can't locate a more current version.
    E Wart
  • Here's news on the latest I-9 form with links:

[url]www.hrhero.com/hl/I-9/[/url]

• Here is something else (EIB 113)that provides info on the List A documents.

[url]http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/employerinfo/EIB113.pdf[/url]

I still can't find an "updated" Employer Handbook other than the 1991 version.
    E Wart