Required Breaks?

In Texas, are there any limitations for non-exempt employees in terms of number of hours they can work without a break. We have employees who work straight six hour and straight eight hour shifts. Thanks.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Texas labor laws are silent regarding breaks, lunches, holidays, vacation, etc. We establish our own policies regarding time off. Obviously, everyone needs time away from work to recharge.
  • CHESTNUT: As a norm it has been my experience that a paid rest break in a four hour block of time is normal for most companies. If your situation warrants a 6 hour working time before a rest break it is authorized. It is paid time. I once asked that question to a wage and hour auditor and their response was every four hours is norm and if justified for a business purpose one could go the 6 hour period. To do that every day morning and afternoon shifts there has got to be room, where a rest break is accomplished at the working station rather than in a break room. It becomes a safety issue for the longer the period of sustained physical work the greater the risk of accidents and injury.

As the Safety Director, I would want proof that this must be the situation, before I would give my blessings.

PORK
  • What possible basis is there for an wage and hour auditor to justify the info you relate? Certainly the FLSA requires no such break nor room. Now, I don't know about Texas, but in MI I could work a guy 16 hours w/o violating a law.m Wasn't that the question?
  • The auditor was giving you what we all have one of; his opinion. It has no bearing on anything and no relevance.