Discipline for gossiping?

Talking to a friend of mine who works in a hospital lab--one of the workers was out for medical reasons; someone speculated she was having plastic surgery done in the chest region (how's that for PC terminology?); and the buzz went around the lab. The employee out on leave finds out that everyone's talking about it and claims breech of confidentiality. People have access to patient information, but no one specifically looked up information on this employee--it was just speculation (the employee often talked about how she didn't like her chest size and wanted to do something about it).

So now the supervisor is conducting an investigation into breech of confidentiality. If no one looked up the information is there really an issue here? Can employees be disciplined for running a gossip mill??

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Unless they specifically looked into her patient record, or someone with access to her patient record shared the information, and you can prove it, then no issue. Its nothing more than gossip, fueled by her past comments. Employees are going to gossip and the only thing an employer can do is discourage it by having managers/supervsiors nip it when they hear it. It will die down eventually.
  • Did she have a successful procedure? I suppose if she dresses just right, no one will notice - you know bindings, body wraps, etc. But then, what would be the point?

I suppose the procedure was performed in your hospital, and that is why others can look up the information? Otherwise, how could just anyone have access to the confidential records?

Which brings to mind the ethical question. Isn't there some sort of ethical statement that your EEs sign about accessing confidential information. To me, it is apalling that people involved with such private, sensitive issues would even go there. Do they also gossip about third party patients? Who has STD's and who is having gastric bypass and who has chronic halitosis?

This is not acceptable. A higher standard should exist in a medical facility than you find in the local office supply store. The EEs should all receive a severe tongue lashing and a reminder about how important confidentiality is - even if the patient is an EE.

OK, now I feel better. Moving on.
  • In our medical facility we have employees sign a confidentiality statement about divulging personal information. In addition, in our employee handbook we have a statement that reads"Malicious gossip, disparaging remarks bout others, and a spirit of negativity have no place at our practice. Not only is it disruptive to the work environment and counterproductive to our mission, such behavior has the propensity of causing potential liability for the practice, as well as personal liability for the perpetrator."

Does any of this stop people from engaging in this behavior. Absolutely not, but they can't say they weren't warned.

• Well, of course no one should be talking about it ( and maybe she has some other problem) but if this is what it is really about, let's face it, everyone will talk and what is the complaint? A friend of ours had an augment and told everyone. Even invited me to feel the results ( I demurred - my wife was there). The reverse procedure will probably be more obvious. If one is having either of these procedures it is doubtful no one will notice - and at least with the augment - that's the whole point. I once was a test driver with a fella who had had a nose job. He rolled a car and I was first on the scene. He's hanging upside down and trying to see his nose in the mirror. Is my nose ok he yells? He came for dinner a few weeks later, and right out of the box my wife asks about his nose job. I was mortified. Guess what? He was thrilled someone asked, and he talked about it ad infinidum. If your confidential info is properly secured, I wouldn't lose a minutes sleep over this one.
  • But if she comes back with a bigger chest area, I guess it won't be so confidential anymore - now will it? x:-/
  • Since you say that no one accessed the individual's confidential patient info in your system, I'm assuming that you investigated whether or not someone did access this person's record, or have some way built into the system of verifying who accessed a record and when?

Assuming that you don't have a probmlem with accessing medical records for inappropriate purposes-- my comment is that you might as well discipline EEs for breathing as try to discipline for gossip.

If the gossip has a negative impact on the gossipee, then you could puruse discipline on the basis of the negative impact. But "outlawing" gossip in general would either (1) create endless situations where youd have to discipline staff, or (2) raise the ugly head of "selective discipline", if not both.

We have no "gossip" policy, and I would strongly oppose implementing one if the CEO asked for it. I'd recommend pursuing individual instances based on negative impact on other EEs, and otherwise leave it alone.