Favorite Interview Questions

I would love to compile a list of great interview questions from you "Pro's." Anyone willing to share???

Comments

• 25 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • 1. Who was your best boss and why?
    2. Who was your worst boss and why?

These can be very revealing!!

Good Luck!
    ~Kim
  • I always like to ask about gaps in employment dates. One man had a 16 year gap. I asked about it, and he said, "Well, during that 16 years I was in prison for killing my wife".

Also: What motivates you? What can you bring to this job? What are you looking for in an employer? The old standby: Do you have any other skills or qualifications that may not be reflected on the application?

Linda
  • What do you think are 2 of your weaknesses in the workplace and why?

Everyone is prepared to tell you "bang, bang, bang", what their strengths are, but weaknesses catches them every time. I just lean back, laugh inside and wait for a response.
  • Most useless questions:

"Well, tell me about yourself."

"Tell me where you hope to be in three years, career-wise."

"Do you see yourself as a team player?"

"If you're selected for this position, what do you plan to bring to the table?"

"Tell me about a time when you really got angry with a co-worker and how you handled that situation."

These types of meaningless questions are only good for finding out what a creative BS artist your candidate is. If he's not a BS artist, you'll judge him as not particularly creative. If he IS one, he'll trick you into thinking he's the best candidate.
  • >Most useless questions:
    >
    >"Well, tell me about yourself."
    >
    >"Tell me where you hope to be in three years,
    >career-wise."
    >
    >"Do you see yourself as a team player?"
    >
    >"If you're selected for this position, what do
    >you plan to bring to the table?"
    >
    >"Tell me about a time when you really got angry
    >with a co-worker and how you handled that
    >situation."
    >
    >These types of meaningless questions are only
    >good for finding out what a creative BS artist
    >your candidate is. If he's not a BS artist,
    >you'll judge him as not particularly creative.
    >If he IS one, he'll trick you into thinking he's
    >the best candidate.

I agree 100%! I find that so many interviewers (non-HR interviewers, of course!)work very hard to come up with tricky questions, or thought provoking questions, but then do not know what to do with the answers or how to evaluate them!

:)
  • 1. Why us?
    2. Why are you HERE?
    3. What is it about us that attracted you to come here?
    4. We do background checks here. Tell us what your previous employers are going to tell us about you.
    5. What will your previous employers tell us about your safety record and how you followed safety rules? (More times than not, the applicant will reveal any previous work comp injuries at this point.)

• I like the question "Why do you think that you should be chosen over all the other candidates"
    I agree with Don, the tell me about yourself question doesn't EVER bring any useful information to me. The above question can bring out qualitities that we have not inquired about and shows me where the person 'thinks' his/her strong points are.

I did mock interviews for high school students and was impressed that I heard an answer to a question that was better than any other I have heard from those in the job market. The question was "What do you expect from your supervisor" and her answer was "to have leadership skills, be a lead and a role model in the organization". I am wondering who taught her that, it was good!
  • Bridgekeeper: Hee hee heh. Stop! What... is your name?
    Arthur: It is 'Arthur', King of the Britons.
    Bridgekeeper: What... is your quest?
    Arthur: To seek the Holy Grail.
    Bridgekeeper: What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
    Arthur: What do you mean? An African or European swallow?
    Bridgekeeper: Huh? I-- I don't know that! Auuuuuuuugh!
    Bedevere: How do know so much about swallows?
    Arthur: Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.

http://deephousepage.com/smilies/eusa_dance.gif[/IMG]

#1 thing a consultant shouldn't say: "I could tell you the answer right now, but we're committed to a three month project..." #-o
  • Chris, what the hell is this? Have you been following Dr. Phil's advice?
  • I think that was directly from "The Life & Times Of Foghorn Leghorn - An Approved Biography".
  • While Foghorn was no doubt a significant influential figure (which could be said about most of the WB animated properties of the time) in my formative years, I was merely reciting the most famous interview questions from Monty Python's Holy Grail...

#1 thing a consultant shouldn't say: "I could tell you the answer right now, but we're committed to a three month project..." #-o
  • Saw Spamalot the other night (for those who don't know it is a Broadway show based on Monty Python's Holy Grail. I loved it but the person I went with (who is not a Monty Python fan) didn't.
  • Best movie ever made! Maybe if they brought a shrubbery to the interview, you wouldn't need to ask any questions. It is always good to befriend the knights that say "nee."
  • Definitely one of the best Britcom movies ever made - but for true interviewing skill, one should buy/rent "How to Irritate People" and watch John Cleese interview a candidate for a management training position... it will have you rolling on the floor and wishing you had a little bell on your desk. x;-)
  • 1) What common misperception do people have about you?
    When they tell you what it is, like too quiet or a pushover, then you can ask why people have that view about them.

2) Tell me about a decision you made but would have done differently, and why.

This one always makes them stop and think. It doensn't necessarily have to be a wrong decision, but maybe they could have handled it better. I usually get pretty good responses to this one.

I also like to ask them to tell me a recent success story they have about an especially difficult employee.

• I try to stay away from the old standards. By now the applicant has all the answers memorized and well acted out.

Some of the ones I ask (and depending on the position I am interviwing for):

What values are important in the workplace?
    What is your personal motto/mantra?
    What is your problem-solving style?
    How important is a sense of humor at work?

I get some startling answers which then allow me to pose additions questions i.e. Tell me about, discuss how, describe when, etc.

• Have you been talking to our VP? He loves to ask about workplace values.
  • One question I normally ask is "What is a strength of yours, that at times could be perceived as a weakness by others?" From there, depending on their reply, we can discuss the issue further.
  • 1) What question haven't I asked you that you feel I should have?
    ------------------
    I hate the "what are your weaknesses question". If you want to ask it, fine, but at least phrase it so it doesn't sound so negative.

In what areas do you feel you need improvement?

A weakness is not being able to resist the candy bar in your desk drawer - an area that you can improve in is employee communications.

And I think if you phrase the question with the word weakness, people generally think that it has to be some awful character flaw or a bad habit. It's just so negative.
  • Now I love when I am asked what is your weakness! I put my family first, then work because I believe if your home life is not in order it effects your work.
    Always goes over well, and really is that a weakness? :-)
    My $0.02 worth
    The Balloonman
  • Dang. I just checked my desk drawer and it was empty.
  • My suggestion is that you go to Barnes and Noble and buy any, or many, of the books that provide the "best" questions as part of the "how to get a job" set of books. Not only will you get the questions, but the answers as well. I'm not trying to be flip, but the idea that one can find out the nitty gritty behind a person's psyche through "best" questions is way overblown.
  • That, my dear fellow, is exactly why you do NOT buy the book, unless you want to see the questions not to bother to ask.

In today's world with the internet and all those books published, with the correct answers no less, interviewing has become an art. All we are trying to do is determine if this applicant fits the position available. I guess the next step for HR people is reading tea leaves.
  • No, my dear man, but I do handwriting analysis and read palms.