Durg Testing and Tow Motors

Our current Drug and Alcohol Policy requires a post accident drug/alcohol test in the event of a workplace accident that results in a W/C injury and/or time missed from work.

Last Thursday we had a tow motor operator run into a walkway causing some significant damage but she was not injured in any way (luckily). Upper management personnel who were here at the time sent her to the local hospital, not for medical treatment but for a drug/alcohol test (BTW - she is 5 mos. pregnant). They would not allow her to return to work until the results of the test were received (they came back negative).

Now I have a plant that is in an uproar over the fact that this has NEVER been done before and, in fact, there was another incident with a tow motor the previous week wherein an EE ran a tow motor into a wall causing it to move approx. 4" (never reported to me).

I spoke with upper management about this and my thought is that I agree with this practice but that we need something added to our policy that addresses this type of accident. I have been told that they don't want to "go overboard" with this and that we should employ our "reasonable suspicion" portion of the policy, which is fine but then my question was, whether or not the EE on Friday appeared under the influence and was met with a resounding "no".

My question to you is, what is your policy regarding this type of accident?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Forget reasonable suspicion. You had a tow motor accident which resulted in property and/or equipment damage and you tested. Hopefully your policy calls for this procedure.

Anytime we have an accident, incident or near miss involving a powered industrial vehicle of any sort, we test. I recommend you incorporate this into your policy. If I am not mistaken, and I might be, it is an OSHA requirement to do so.

Gene
  • OSHA doesn't require drug tests. I agree that your policy, or at least your standard practice, should be revised to include drug screening anytime a powered industrial truck is involved in damage to equipment or structures. Personal injury is irrelevant. I've had people take out an entire wall and a steel support column on a forklift and not be personally injured.

On a related note, I hope you can work it to where you are ALWAYS involved in this referral process personally.
  • We build this type of testing into our Substance Abuse reasonable suspicion policy wording, it reads, ""Reasonable suspicion" is a suspicion based upon the conduct, speech, odor or appearance of an employee sufficient to lead a prudent person to suspect that an employee may be under the influence of a drug. Conduct includes, without limitation; productivity, work habits, behavior such as excessive boisterousness, incoherence, in-attentiveness or excessive talkativeness. A reasonable suspicion can be based upon an employee's involvement in an accident or incident in which safety precautions were violated, careless acts occurred, injury to any person resulted or damage to equipment occurred."
    Hope this helps.