Going Smoke Free

My company is going smoke free within a week. No advanced planning went into this. The GM told me last week that this is what we are doing. I would like to offer some type of support for those smokers who choose to quit. Can you recommend any resources that I can pass along to employees?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Nicorette gum, the patch, I've heard either works better on some people. My wife was successful with Zyban but you have to get a prescription and may or may not be in your formulary (Wellbutrin is the same thing, so the doctor can play with the script). The patch gave her nightmares for whatever reason. Then again maybe she just woke-up next to me and THAT was the nightmare :)

I think there are smoking cessation support groups that you can direct your employees to. They're modeled after 12-step programs. Hypnosis maybe?

Gene
  • I thought Welbutrin was an anti-depressant?
  • It is an anti-depressant, but it's also used for ADD (was prescribed for my brother when he was diagnosed), for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and I also had a friend who's doctor gave it to her when he diagnosed her with the beginning stages of MS. I think they use anti-depressants for all sorts of things. I'm taking one (Imipramine) as a preventative for migraine headaches (in a very low mg dosage).
  • Contact your local American Heart Association and Cancer Society offices. They have all kinds of free information and programs they can help you with. They'll even come in and do free smoking cessation programs.

• Your company may have an EAP. Those guys also will come in and get some support group dynamics in place. Those meetings are interesting and ours offers an additional five counseling sessions free if an employee would like that. Can't hurt.
  • You can also check with your state Dept of Health & Welfare. Ours offer a smoking cessation program with support for the want-to-be-ex-smoker and resources for the and employer as well.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-09-05 AT 02:58PM (CST)[/font][br][br]The State of Rhode Island just went smoke free in bars, restaurants and places of employment. The state has a site [url]www.trytostop.org[/url]. The site is actually the site sponsored by the Massachusetts DOH. The site offers free patches, gum and counseling. Try your state's Department of Health website they may offer similar services. Good luck!