Delivery of paychecks

We have an employee who goes from home to job site and never comes into the main office. He, therefore, has a problem getting his paycheck. He claims that the employer is legally responsible for bringing his pay check to the job site to give to him. Does anyone know of any such law?

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • >We have an employee who goes from home to job
    >site and never comes into the main office. He,
    >therefore, has a problem getting his paycheck.
    >He claims that the employer is legally
    >responsible for bringing his pay check to the
    >job site to give to him. Does anyone know of
    >any such law?

Do you provide direct depost? if not, what we do is as long as the envelope is postmarked on payday you obligation is fulfilled, for example payday here is friday, so i stamp and post mark whatever date the friday falls on and its mailed. He should make arrangements to p/u his check, your only obligation is to make sure its ready when he asks for it, this is in California.
  • Stellad, Is right on.
    Obligation is have it for THEM to pick up or mailed out on pay date.
    I would strongly suggest this ee sign up for direct deposit if you offer it.

• I agree with the previous posters. I have many employees who are never in the office. They either sign up for direct deposit or we mail tehir check. As long as it is postdated on payday, I have met our obligation.
  • Legally, it is not a matter of what you 'might do' (bring him his check), but what you 'must do', which is pay him according to the FLSA and state law. You have no obligation to TAKE him his check, provide it in a blue envelope, have it ready at a specific counter or turn certain flips when you present it. You ARE at liberty to require him to pick it up, stand in line, produce identification or pass through a metal detector if you wish, on payday. Or you can pay him with a sack of quarters on the corner of 5th and Vine.
  • well golly gee ain't he special?! i don't think so. only obligation is to pay ee for time worked. if there's a home address on file then advise employee you will mail to home address unless he makes other arrangements.

• From Florida Statute:

532.01 Payment by check, draft, or other order for payment.--Any order, check, draft, note, memorandum, or other acknowledgment of indebtedness issued in payment of wages or salary due or to become due must be negotiable and payable in cash, on demand, without discount, at some established place of business in the state, the name and address of which must appear on the instrument, and at the time of its issuance, and for a reasonable time thereafter, which must be at least 30 days, the maker or drawer must have sufficient funds or credit, arrangement, or understanding with the drawee for its payment.

The "on demand" and "established placed of business" are probably key, and support Don D's response. The employer establishes the location and time for payroll check delivery. The employee presents to the designated location at the designated time to "demand" delivery.

Check your company's policy also to confirm that a time/place are established. Also, pursue direct deposit as an alternative if you company has the capability. It can yield a savings to your company in labor/materials (fewer checks to physically print on check stock; plain white paper for deposit vouchers is cheaper) and potentially time (fewer live payroll checks to have available at the designated time/place). The plus for the employee is that funds are available in his/her personal account regardless of where he/she might be, and depending on the financial institution, there may be other incentives (such as no minimum account balance, free check cashing). Banks like direct deposit also.
  • In Mass. we have to post where and when the checks will be distributed (and do it). After that, its the ees problem.
  • Many thanks to you all for your input, especially the statute reference. You confirmed my thoughts. You guys are great!!
  • Sounds like this employee has a false sense of entitlement! Will he eventually want you to stand in line at the bank, deposit his check, and wait for cash back, and then go grocery shopping for him too?

Two things I would do:

1-Give employee date and time paychecks will be ready for distribution. For example, 1st and 16th of every month at 4:00 p.m.
    2-Give employees who are off-site on some pay days an option of direct deposit, pick up, or mailed 1st class to their mailing address.

You have no obligation to deliver the check to their job site.

• Funny you should mention "will he eventually want you to stand in line at the bank, deposit his check, and wait for cash back."

I do this every two weeks for my boss and for one of the engineers!
  • I can sorta, maybe understand the boss. But, what's the engineer got on you?