Mandatory OT/Vacation

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-10-05 AT 12:13PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Contrary to what one of my supervisors says, I believe we have a policy/morale issue versus a legal issue.

New production manager started three weeks ago, took over production Feb 1. We're way behind, and it's his job to get us caught up. We have one department with a supervisor that could be called passive aggressively confrontational (or PAC for short - it's an us against them thing - can you imagine that in manufacturing???)

They are required to work the next 4-6 Saturdays in order to get caught up. New mgr said he could feel death glares boring into him and he got several "what about this" scenarios which didn't change the fact that we're behind. I have received three absence slips so far for this Saturday, all for unpaid time off, of course.

New mgr came in to talk to me about requiring them to use vacation or bonus time if they arrange to be gone on a mandatory Saturday or call in. That is not the way our attendance policy is currently set up. (We will be modifying it in a few months, but I'd rather do all policies in one fell swoop because I'm tired of hearing that we change policy "all the time").

So, since vacation is not covered by law, it is a policy issue. (Aforementioned PAC supervisor claims it's illegal) We typically don't work on Saturdays, so it isn't outlined in the manual. New mgr feels they are testing the waters with him, and is weighing how to respond back.

The "us against them" feeling is stronger in this dept than most, so I am concerned about morale. That said, my prez (who is also the owner) does not run his company on concensus, and that isn't the best reason for making business decisions, either.

So, long question short, does anyone have experience or a policy on using any sort of PTO for mandatory overtime? Or a better way of dealing with this issue?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have the following statement in our handbook:

"Employees who refuse to work overtime will be subject to disciplinary actions up to and including termination".

We would not use vacation or PTO if the Saturday was not part of the employee's regular schedule. We have and continue to discipline those who do not show up. Some of our employees bring in doctor's notes excusing them from working a prescheduled Saturday (so giving plenty of notice backfires on us). At that point our hands become tied.
  • Mandatory means just that. No PTO, no LOA, no call-ins. Wouldn't your employees know that you are way behind? I would handle this as a disciplinary problem and follow your procedure.
  • I agree with the others. You could probably use PTO legally, but if the idea at some point is to reduce the "us vs. them" and the morale problems, you would be going in the opposite direction.
  • I would not take their PTO or vacation, but I would inform them prior to the required work that it is mandatory that they work the required days, and inform them that an absence will be unexcused and discipline will follow unless the absence is confirmed excused by a doctor's excuse.

• HRCALICO: My favorite response is to notify the employees in sufficient time to make plans and arrangements for the ability to work. Doctor's excuses and planned sick days or vacation days (PAPER PEOPLE) when the work load is behind does not get the first widget out the door!

You can also combine this opportunity to build team and earnest caring for the employee's ability and family. For Christmas day this year the Production manager convenienced the owners that we could get a lot more work done with motivated employees on Christmas Day, if we agreed to pay everyone who worked a full days schedule on Christmas Day would get double time for those hours worked. We normally pay time and a half after 40, but he wanted 2 times. It was an issue for correcting the computer in order to make our program calculate the right amount regardless of over 40 or not.

Your can catch a lot more bees with sugar than you can with salt! We had 100 % of the employees working on Christmas day, and the work was done in 4 hours verses 8 and not one complaint. This year is on Sunday and now the entire company wants to work on Sunday. There have not been any promises, but I am sure the Production Manager will get his way, regardless of the difficulty. There were a few issues, but it really was not a nightmare like we thought.

PORK
  • Our manufacturing facility has worked all but six of the past 140 weekends. The only way to get a Saturday off is to be scheduled off on an occasional rotation or to take approved in- advance vacation on Friday preceeding the Saturday, thus having off Saturday as well.

An employee who does not show up on Saturday is subject to the attendance policy and its termination ramifications, not given an option of having the day applied to vacation or PTO. In the case of illness, the employee is required to bring a medical excuse for the affected days. Life is hell. Saturday work is hell. But it beats the hell out of the alternative, which is being laid off.

This can for sure become a serious morale issue as it has at our place. But, business is business and I will replace those who choose to monkey with the system and not show up. I work constantly on the morale angle; but, often it's an uphill battle.
  • THANKS to everyone for responding. Some good points, and it’s always nice to see I’m not alone! Everyone has been playing by the rules – filling out an absence slip, calling in if they’re sick, etc. (We have not gone to a no-fault attendance policy. YET.)

It is a fairness issue, though, to the ones who DO give up their Saturday to work. Oh, and it is only a half-day, which I think is a compromise in of itself. I don’t think there is an employee out there that couldn’t get a doctor’s note with one phone call, so we haven’t bothered with that.

Employees DO know we’re way behind. We’ve been behind for months! (What a “nice” welcoming present for our new production mgr!) I don’t feel entirely comfortable disciplining since, like I said, they’re following the rules. I’ll definitely look at adding some language into the policy.

Pork makes a good point, although I typically catch flies with honey instead of vinegar. :>) Since we’re still moderately sporadic with Saturday work, and right now, it’s only required in one department, I hesitate to suggest double time. Shoot, they’re already getting time and a half! But we’ve all seen the entitlement attitude. And I like the rotating Sat’s off, but we thankfully won’t have to work THAT many.

While typing this, I got a phone call that my grandpa passed away after being in and out of the hospital and rest home for several months. All of a sudden it doesn’t seem so important anymore, and I’m just so tired of the petty attitudes. I think I’m going to not worry too much about this and head to my hometown this weekend for a celebration of life.

Tell your family tonight that you love them! Thankfully I told my grandpa every time I saw him over the last year. I usually got a couple of pats and a “yep” but I know he knew.
  • HRCalico, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I am truly sorry for your loss.

My grandfather passed away twelve years ago. I passed on a trip to WV to visit him before he passed away. He had not been ill and I took it for granted that there would be another time to visit. When he passed, I beat myself up over this and still struggle with it. We were very close. It made me realize that family is the backbone to life and that we need to always take the time to visit, to call, drop a note to tell them we love them and are thinking about them. I am glad you were able to let your grandpa know how you feel. You are right, he knew. With his pats a "yep" you knew too.