Use of Lie Detector

Have any of you had an occasion to give any of your employees a lie detector test? If so, what were the circumstances and did it solve the issue? We have an incident of a missing cash payment from a customer given to an outside sales rep. Would this constitue grounds for a lie detector? Thanks.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We do not personally give lie detector tests we leave that up to the police! We did have an occasion where an employee was missing $8000 in cash from her cash drawer. We filed a police report and as part of their investigation they asked suspects to take a lie detector test to help aid in the investigation - even though it's not admissible in court I think they can get clues or even confessions from this type of thing.

Of course the main suspect refused the test.

Did the customer get a written receipt for his cash payment? Does the outside sales rep have anything written? It seems to me that would be a given - sounds like you could have a sticky situation!
  • The admissibility of these tests does not bode well with the legal system, so I've never pursued this option. I admit that we've threatened a time or two (to stimulate some action)but never followed through with it. The amount of missing cash must be substantial for you to even consider this option, but I would suggest you consult with your legal counsel for other options to pursue. There are other, better ways to address this dilemma w/o shooting yourself in the foot!!!!
  • No reputable polygrapher will just show up and administer the test at your request anyway. They have to be certain that all the legalities have been observed and that all parties, including the intended examinees, are aware of their rights and the limitations of the test for legal purposes. Your attorney will advise you to involve the police department and will advise you also (probably) to not go that route alone...let the police do that if they wish.
  • Be careful you don't run afoul of the Emp Polygraph Protection Act. In Mi, empees enjoy greater protection than that aforded by the Fed act, so check your state regs as well.
  • The advice from the others is good. We are a state university and as government employees we are exempt from the provisions of the Polygraph Protection Act. I have used polygraphs on 3 occasions in the past 10 years in sexual harassment investigations. In each case the results were either inconclusive or showed deception by both parties. I would never base a determination solely on the results of a polygraph. They can be useful investigation tools but good examiners charge quite a bit for the test. I shy away from polygraphs even though we can legally use them.