Drug Testing

Took yesterday off and came in to find that all the office staff had been asked to submit to a drug test due to signing a contract to provide services (staffing) to a large corporation that required maintaining a drug free workplace as part of the contract.

Here is the policy in the Handbook for internal office staff:
The Company reserves the right to request submitting and application for employment, or while employed by the Company to submit to drug tests at such times and places we might choose. Failure to comply will be cause for termination.

There are no other internal policies and the company has not conducted random testing on internal office staff.

Do we have a problem with what we did yesterday?

Comments

• 21 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Based on the verbiage you shared, it doesn't strike me as a "problem"........notwithstanding any state/local reg's that would invalidate your ability to do this. So, you'll likely be flagged today, eh????
  • My issue is regarding whether or not this is a "closet" random drug testing policy. In other words, the policy seems to say it can test who and whenever without notice and for any reason, but it isn't titled a "Random Drug Screen Policy", it is titled "Drug Free Workplace Policy" and there is no ongoing random testing. Also, some folks in the office were tested upon hire (like me) and some weren't. So we have inconsistent practices here. Everyone in the office is O.K. with this, but it only takes one!
  • I think "at such times and places we might choose" pretty well covers you in this case, and most others. The company CHOSE to make everyone test in order to receive a contract for business. However, you might want to develop a more specific policy in order to keep the contract (MAINTAIN a drug free workplace.) I guess that depends on what is required by the 'large corporation.'
  • IMHO, just because a company 'reserves its right' in writing, it doesn't necessarily make it legal. If your company is now the 'sub contractor' to a large corporation, the liability still lies with your company. Your own drug testing policy will still apply as it always has. Though it says "at such times and places we might choose" I would still contest it. Unless there is a safety reason or a security concern or some documented reasonable suspicion, I consider providing a urin sample still a very private matter and the right to privacy should not be violated. Again, just my opinion.
  • My thoughts exactly, S Moll. One more piece of news: The request was made voluntary by the office manager with no penalty for anyone who says no (and I just did). This led to a long discussion about our Drug Testing policy and the decision to scrap the old language, write a new policy, and eventually implement a Random Drug Testing policy after proper notice to staff. Does anyone have some information or a sample policy on standard Drug Testing Policies vs. Random Drug Testing Policiies?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-08-05 AT 11:03AM (CST)[/font][br][br]We are a large employer that conducts random drug sreens. This could be for a variety of reasons, new hire, reasonable suspicion, someone participating in our EAP program that has tested positive in the past, etc. We also do random testing of our workforce. In order to make this truly random and not subjective, we have a list of all employees, without any additional information (i.e. race, gender, etc). Each month an arbitrary number is selected and that number is used to determine who is tested. So, if the number is 100, every 100th person on the list would be randomly tested.

I agree that there is a need to respect one's privacy, and depending on your business, there may be little need to test. In other business areas, there is a greater need. Delivery drivers, heavy equipment operators, etc. should be randomly tested, in my opinion, because of the nature of the work performed. Using industrial equipment while impaired is a dafety risk to others and can be prevented, to a degree, if the company is proactive. Now, instead of urine samples, we use a company that supplies applicators (they look sorta like a large Q-tip, that is placed between the cheek and gum for a perod of several minutes. The test catches not only serious abusers, but recreational users because of the time the substance stays in your saliva. This test is effective and less intrusive. Maybe you would be more comfortable with this system instead of the urinalysis.
  • Yes, I agree that all drivers, heavy equipment operators, machine operators, etc all fall into the category of safety. But there is no need to test finance clerks and secretaries, regardless of the method. I would seriously challenge a company that draws its own numbers. There are random generators out there that charge about $79 per year to generate the lists.
  • We are a large staffing firm and do have a number of temporary employees performing driving duties, Warehouse work, production line work, etc. We have a seperate policy for temporary personnel relative to reasonable suspicion and complying with the Client Company's Drug Testing Policy when on-site at an assignment. The policy I've been concerned about today is for Adminstrative, non-temporary staff that work in our offices. I really appreciate all your feedback. It looks like the decision is to have a Random policy in-house to create more equal footing with the temporary staff and to cover any contractual requirements of our clients (be they corporate or governmental in nature). Thanks!
  • "But there is no need to test finance clerks and secretaries, regardless of the method."

Huh? What about the long-haul dispatcher who sent two trucks almost a thousand miles out of route who later used the EAP to dry out? What about the administrative secretary who walked off the back dock, stoned? What about the accounting clerk who had both a gambling and drug habit and decided the payroll process could support both? What about the HR Assistant who had a wreck between plants going to do orientation and tested positive when checked at the clinic?

We have got to get over this notion that only big ugly men driving big ugly stuff could possibly be abusing drugs and impacting the corporation's bottom line.

By the way, all of those examples are real live examples among three places of employment!
  • I asked our claims adjuster about the worst claim he ever handled. It was an office incident. A secretary was walking from behind a desk, tripped on a cord and fell forward. She hit her head on the corner of a table and is now a 'vegetable.' My point is you can have an accident in any job that is not drug related. Her position certainly was not a safety-sensitive one.

In those that you mention, the long-haul dispatcher counts as safety-sensitive. The administrative secretary, the accounting clerk and the HR assistant, no. At best their handling of money, personnel records, or confidential files is related to integrity; not necessarily security or safety. If the company can assert that their need to secure money and information outweighs the employees right to privacy, then I say go ahead and test. Otherwise they should be covered only under the reasonable suspicion clause.

Are you stereotyping heavy equipment drivers as big and ugly?
  • Our company has a policy for Maintaining a Drug Free Workplace and all employees are subject to testing under one of four categories; Random, Pre-Employment, Reasonable Suspicion, Scheduled Periodic. Because we have three locations in three different states, I can tell you that the drug testing laws differ from state to state. For instance what you described above would not be legal in OK. You probably want to check your state regs.
  • All employees in our company are subject our Drug-Free Workplace Policy from top officers on down to line operators. We require pre-employment, random, post accident, and for cause testing. Since all employees are treated the same regardless of where they sit on the company ladder, there is no grumbling over it.
  • This point has been belabored, but I'm currently awaiting network access and thought I check out the forum for a few minutes.

It sounds like what your policy allows or dictates is the issue, unless there is contract-specific verbiage. There are references in many of the posts about drug-free workplace. I can't speak for other states, but in Florida that can have one of two meanings. 1. One is outlined in Florida Statute and is a voluntary option by employers to obtain a discount on W/C insurance premiums. The program specifics are fairly well defined and include drug tests upon job offer/hire, post accident, and reasonable suspicion, among other things. The random testing is generally meant to satisfy part of the legislation that imposes a burden to ensure a continued drug-free workplace, which should also include employee training/information and EAP. Also, the random selection process must be 'valid.' I'm not sure what the validity test is, but there is verbiage in the statute that infers a validity test on the random selection method adopted by the employer. Adoption of the program also gives the employer the right claim an 'official' drug-free workplace designation, i.e., 5% W/C prem discount, limited protections against minor procedural missteps in program administration, must advertise DFW in job ads, as well as many other responsibilities. 2. The second definition of DFW is a company's voluntary adoption of a similar practice but the company may be self-insured for W/C, thus no premium discount available, but still a very good and widely adopted practice by many employers. I don't know if your state's legislation is similar, and if it is, which of the two scenarios your company falls under.

Technically, the employees' opportunity to opt out this time means this was not random. If it was due to reasonable suspicion, there should have been specific documentation in place. Obviously, you & your coworkers are not new hires, so it isn't that. You were not all recently involved in a work accident (you were off that day), so it must not be post accident. My guess is that your company's entire drug-free work place program is unrelated to your W/C (official drug-free designation in Florida) or was improperly administered. Again, however, you and your cohorts have take corrective measures by reviewing/revising policy language.

• There are random generators out there that charge about $79 per year to generate the lists.

I would like to have more information on these. Can you direct me?
  • I just made an inquiry earlier this week to our testing laboratory and learned that they will randomly select for us for free. We simply must provide them with an accurate employee census monthly, choose one of our testing schedules they offer (monthly, quarterly, semi annually, or annually), confirm how many people we want tested during the year, and confirm the method we prefer for receiving the a list of selectees (mail, fax, e-mail). My recommendation to other senior mgmt staff is that we use that option, and given everthing I know right now I can't believe we won't.

We're also nonprofit. $79 is not very expensive, but if we can't get someone to donate the software to us, we probably won't designate funds for purchase.

Try your drug testing laboratory. If you don't have one, a quick search online search will get you to some fairly quickly.

• Every drug testing company I have worked with provided the random selection service for free.
  • Check your private email. I've sent the information to you.
  • I am not sure if you do since your policy looks as little vague to me. (let me know and I will be glad to forward/email you our policy which spells things out a little more. [email]ewarthen@newcombspring.com[/email]. We don't do random, which I am glad about. I did this preious employer and it is a pain.) You can do anything from drawing names out of a hat to computer programs that do the random naming.
    I would suggest that since you have a requirement for drug screening you enact a more formal policy. (I would also suggest that you talk with management and ask them to please next time wait a day until you can help them with this process. I can't believe they couldn't have waited a day.)
    Also, if you are changing your policy, in most states you have to give a "warning" before you enact it. I would worry more about this. However, if employees didn't complain and nothing came of it, I would forget it happened and just get things set up for the future, train management on it and follow it.

E Wart
  • Drawing names out of a hat is legal in Georgia?
  • This was over 10 years ago. It was done, whether legal or not and we were never quested on it. (Even got the W/C Certification doing this.)
    E Wart