Quid Pro Quo?

Sorry for the length, I am just too close to this to be objective.

One of our Program Directors (a top level position in our company) is about to hire an Ex-EE for a mid level position. This EE is extremely well qualified for the position, which will eventually be the Program Director's second in command. This Ex-EE used to run the department.

Meanwhile, the Ex-EE's husband has offered a job to the Program Director's husband, who is also well qualified for the job in question.

All of these people are good friends outside of work. I am also friends with all of these people.

Our Exec Dir probably knows nothing of the relationships and the job situation related to the husbands.

Should I inform the Exec Dir?
Should I insist the Program Dir disclose all of this?
Or, should I just butt out?

Other management staff know about all of this.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Unless there is something potentially illegal, unethical or potential for conflict in all of this, I would probably let it alone. If other management staff know about it, you can be sure that the exec. director will hear about it from somebody.
  • Which is exactly why you should be certain that the executive director knows the details of what you have heard. It's time to ask my secret and famous question: 'What's the worst thing that can come of this?' Probably the worst thing is that the Executive Director comes to you later and insists that you erred in not advising him/her of this potential can of worms. And even worse than that is the possibility that it all goes bad and on your watch and you catch the blame for it. Lay it out plainly that you're too close to all of them to imagine that it may or may not have any importance; you just wanted the director to be aware in case he/she wanted to consider that for business reasons. Then if the director tells you to not give it a second thought, don't.
  • For most of us, perception is reality. In this case, the perception is that this is a real sweet heart deal - as you said, quid pro quo - that if it turns out badly, and as Don said, on your watch, you wil want to have been the one to be sure your dir knew. If it works, probably no one will ever care, but it still looks like a sneaky deal.
  • I agree with Don. Remember that perception is reality. If the potential for others, especially other staff members, to percieve a conflict of interest or unethical behavior then you need to at least make the director aware of the potential. As you are probably aware, just the perception of questionable actions can severly hamper a managers credibility and their ability to be effective in their role. I would let the director know of the situation.
  • I agree with Don and Shadow. Well qualified or not, the whole thing doesn't sit well. . with me anyway.
  • I agree with the others. The "truth" often has nothing to do with facts.
  • Thanks for the input. I am a believer in the old saw that the right thing to do is usually the hardest thing to do.

Here is where it stands. I have spokent to the Program Director. She is posting the job internally and to a limited extent, externally. She has formed an interview committee of three people, she is not one of them.

So far, we have one qualified internal candidate, who would probably get the job if the Ex EE was not in the picture.

Have I gone far enough? Or should I still force disclose the situation with the husbands?
  • Marc! I can't believe you! You know the answer to your question. Merely the fact that you've come here to discuss this issue is your answer. Let's explore your reason for hesitation.......
  • Just curious. .why would you hire back an ex employee over an internal? Also, just curious, no issues with an employee come back to a lower position and reporting to the position the ee once held? I think that would be tough for both parties.
  • I posted a response to Don's comment earlier, but it seems to have disappeared - probably another user problem.

My hesitation is twofold. First, the husband hiring did not happen until 10 days after the Ex EE applied for the job in question. The husbands job is as a warehouse helper making the same dollars he was making at his old job. Primary difference is from an outside supply yard to an inside warehouse.

Second, I do not want to jeopardize the friendships involved when the husband hiring appears coincidental to the Ex EEs job.

After much internal dialogue and taking the sage advice from this thread into consideration, I am going to suggest the Program Director disclose the husband hiring. This is a small community and it would not be long before this fact circulates around. The disclosure will avoid future questions from the Exec Dir.

I have thoroughly questioned the Program Director regarding the Ex EE reporting to the position she used to hold. In the old days, this Program Director served as a second in command. After the Ex-EE left to follow her husband to a job in Northern California, our agency underwent some structural changes. The second in comman became the Program Director of our largest department - in fact, she had originally hired the Ex-EE who reported to her way back then.

One of the weaknesses in that department is a large gap between the Program Director and the next most qualified Supervisor. The Program Director has been working hard to develop the Supervisors, but they have a ways to go. Bringing in the Ex-EE will bring more talent to the structure and provide much more flexibility for all sorts of issues. That part is a good move and not a question.

Probably more than anyone wanted to know.
  • You are correct. Must have had a momentary brain lapse.