Janitorial - Can we make them do it?

I've visited the Employers forum many times, but this is my first posting!

My company is a manufacturing facility comprised of both hourly production workers and salary office personnel. I have an employee with the job title "Building Attendant" but he would be better known as "Janitor". My problem is that he takes an annual 3 week vacation every year, and each year this poses a problem as to who will cover his position.

Hourly production workers are often instructed to help out in other departments, especially when one department is hard put to make a drop shipment or when the dept is experiencing a slow down. This is an expectation of all hourly employees.

Our Building Attendant is expected to take his annual 3-week vacation in about 2 weeks and we have asked for volunteers to cover his position. Not one employee is interested, in fact, most have now adopted the attitude that it is beneath them. Also, rumor has it that the Company cannot require any employee do this job if they don't want to.

In hopes of dispelling this myth, my question is Can we pick an employee to do this job without any ramifications? Does Janitorial work fall into some special job category?

Comments

• 21 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not in Illinois, it doesn't. Assuming there's no CBA that would state otherwise, I'd proceed with requesting volunteers and then assign those duties to the remaining staff in exactly the same manner you would do it for other position vacancies. This notion of "no thank you go find someone else" just doesn't work that way. The employer has a right to staff the business with all employed persons and this notion of "job jurisdiction" (I only due my job!!!)is hardly a basis for the disruption. You've probably already reviewed the wisdom of limiting his vacation to something < 3 weeks, so you proceed with what needs to be done to staff his vacancy. Good luck.......
  • Down-the-Middle is right. As an employer, you can ask someone to take on these responsibilities, like it or not. The request is not illegal, unethical, etc., so it is the ees responsibility to do the work assigned to them. We have had this problem in the past and have instructed managers to show the ee a copy of their job description. It says "assist in other duties as assigned." This is on EVERY job description we have. We will tell the ee that they need to perform this task and that if they refuse, they will be subject to disciplinary action, based on their insubordination.

People need to realize that there are always times that you have to do something that is "not in my job description." We are paid to bring value to the company, not matter what the role is for that day.
  • Thank you for your quick response - it is much appreciated! I'm not sure what CBA stands for...

I suppose our real concern here is the position of "Janitor" and that the tasks involve cleaning bathrooms, lunchrooms, etc. We aren't sure if there is some sort of safety/hazardous issue attached to this job and then making an employee do this job if they don't want to.

It's one thing to voluntarily accept this job knowing what the job entails, but is it another thing to order an employee to perform those duties when they don't want to?

• No, the employer has the control over who does what. The employee gets wages to do what the employer wants, provided it's legal of course. While that is cut and dried you do have to evaluate the impact of the decisions that you make. You should decide how you will choose the employee and the impact that will have. If it is arbitrary, you may get morale issues but is that important to you? Does it make sense to have the least senior person do the work? Are you going to rotate the work between two or more employees? You are the only person that can answer these questions, but the choice to assign or not assign, and who the lucky person(s) will be is all yours.
  • >Thank you for your quick response - it is much
    >appreciated! I'm not sure what CBA stands
    >for...
    >

CBA is Collective Bargaining Unit - unions.
  • I agree with the others. I have worked in manufacturing and have been witness to the same attitude. We addressed it in our handbook and while the attitude was still present, it did end the conversation. Here is what we put in our current handbook:

Reassignment

The company reserves the right to reassign employees as needed. In addition supervisors retain the right to assign duties to meet whatever business demands arise. Employees are entitled to an explanation as to why job change is required. Refusal to accept such a change will result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination.

• I would also not, at this point anyway, suggest to the employee that he take a shorter vacation. It sounds like it's regularly scheduled, planned with plenty of notice to all involved, yearly event.

If there is no written policy precluding him from using his vacation time this way, I don't think that you can alter how he spends his time.

• We run into similar issues when our janitor is going to be off for a day. Usually, thank goodness, he takes off on a long string of Fridays, not a week or two at a time. I think if he did take off a week or two at a time we would have the temp service send someone in to do his daily rounds, including the tougher projects like restrooms. He constantly makes garbage/rubbish rounds in our mfg environment all day long and we have about 20 restrooms that he attends to daily. When he's out for a day, we have maintenance do his trash duties all day long and we skip the restrooms. I often tell him and the whole group here that he is by far the hardest working employee the company has. He and the receptionist would be the toughest two to replace! Hands down.
  • You can, it falls under "other duties as assigned", but why would you? Seems to me that forcing employees to do it would only invite more trouble. I see their point as they were not hired to clean toilets, you have a staff (or person) that does it. Why not farm it out to a temp service? Or at least offer incentives to the volunteers. Incentives would be cheaper for your company and would promote "good-will" efforts.
  • I can't understand why you would want to incur the additional cost of a temp service to do something that everyone has to do at home. I mean, come on, is it that "beneath" someone to take care of this temporarily? At home, I take out the trash, clean the toilets, showers, etc. I can't understand why it is such a big deal for people to do this. I know that in a work environment it can be nasty, but it has to be done. The ones complaining about cleaning duties are getting paid by the company to work, no matter what that assignment is. I would not want to pay an unnecessary cost because I did not want to hurt someone's feelings! You send the wrong message by catering to people. Treat them fairly and with respect, regardless of what job they perform, but hold them accountable to following directions.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-07-05 AT 03:57PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Yes, but cleaning up at home is way different than cleaning up after the pigs that use public restrooms. And yes, it is "beneath" some folks to clean up after Johnny Q Public. Personally, I think if everyone did their part (cleaning up after themselves) there wouldn't be a problem; wouldn't even need janitorial types. But, alas, we live in an imperfect world and its better to weigh in the short-term cost versus the long-term cost of disgruntled employees. Maybe, in this case, it would benefit the company to "model those behaviors we want to see more of" and ask the management/leadership team to pick up the slack for the 3 weeks and do the cleaning and scrubbing. Hmm? Wonder how they would feel about doing it? If they didn't feel like it was beneath their experience and training and pitched in, the workforce might be more inclined to do it too.
  • DW: I have found that it is much less a hassel for everyone concerned that we go the temp hire route for these one of a kind position.

Oh, Welcome to the forum and a participating member.

PORK

• I agree with the rest, you can take volunteers or "force" someone to perform these tasks. However, depending upon your budget, hiring the temp service will save you many a headache with all of the whaling and gnashing of teeth of those being asked to step in.

Another consideration is light duty work. We have found that some of our employees on Work Comp looking for light duty work can perform the Janitorial duties without working outside their restrictions.
  • We have a hard time wrestling factory comp people in to do office work on restricted duty. Do you really think you'd have someone looking to do latrine duty who is out on comp drawing 66 2/3 pay?
  • I am definitely not saying it is their preference. However, if it is a true job (not created or punitive by design)that meets their restrictions, and they refuse the job, then their TTD benefits stop. Now they are sitting at home and not making any money.

We don't use this much, but when there is the need it has been handy to have as an alternative.
  • I agree with the general thread of the responses so far: all of our job descriptions include the magical phrase: "other duties and responsibilities as assigned by supervisor", and we do make use of it... though I have to say we've never used it for "janitorial" duties: we use an outside vendor for cleaning services.

2 points I would add are: first, you don't mention whether or not you are unionized. If unionized, the union contract would likely include work rules that may or may not allow these employees to be assigned "janitorial" work, even temporarily?

The other is, while you have the right/authority (assuming there are no union issues) to assign EEs these added tasks, those who raise the point of morale have a good point. If you must assign these duties temporarily to other staff, some kind of incentive pay is a good idea to make it more attractive to volunteers. It also might be good for morale and acceptance if some of the salaried folks would lead the way by pitching in to do their part.

Good luck!
  • I got into this thread a day late. We use a temp service that specializes in custodial work. They provide a copy of their insurance binder. There's more to janitorial work than using basin, tub, and tile cleaner on porcelain fixtures. There're no-no's like mixing amoinia and bleach. I wouldn't take someone from another department and hand them the cleaning cart and send them down the hall. We've tried it, but the whole headache isn't worth it. I believe you're better off to use temps.
  • After reading all of the above, I recommend you do a cost analysis and determine if it is a real savings to have a "handy man/person/woman" on your payroll at all. If you look at the real and total cost of the "old hand/good guy" hanging on janitor for x number of hours; I believe you can do as we have done and contracted this service out. $200 dollars a month to clean kitchen 4 rest rooms and vaccum and empty all trash cans once a week takes a good team of two people about 2 hours on Saturday. It is good pay for them and a real relief for us. There is never a worry about hoidays, vacation, nor sick days with a contractor.

PORK
  • You guys empty trash cans once a week? Interesting.
  • First, I agree, this is something that you don't have to do every day, unless you are just a neat freak. You could have a temp service or a cleaning service to come in and do the work maybe every other day or every 3rd day or so. They are trained and know what work needs to be done. The problem with this is "giving them a key for a temporary lenght of time" or having someone there while they are working. In between, folks could pitch in and help empty trash. This way no one is put out. Using W/C folks is a possibility too.
    My other thought is to put a schedule on the board and say that 2 people (or figure out how many people you have) will do this duty every day for 15 days. You can sign up for your day. If you don't sign up, you will be appointed a day. This way you "spread the work around" and not one person is imposed upon or given the gruge work. However, what type of results you will get will be another thing.
    The other suggestion is to combine the 2. Have the sign up and get them to do the "light work" of emptying trash, sweeping certain areas, etc. every day. Then hire a cleaning company to come in maybe twice during his absence to do the heavy cleaning. I think you will find that folks are not as upset about this.

E Wart
  • E.W.: Not that you would use one anyway, but, if you would, would you use the restroom facility at Texaco or Shell that was cleaned only every couple of days or even just once a day?! The facilities I have in mind are heavily used all day long and it would be mighty unsanitary to let the cleaning chore go longer than daily.

The only way restrooms do not need constant policing and cleanup is if there are only two or three people using them.