excessive absenteeism

We currently offer sick and vacation leave accruals to our employees. Leave must be approved in advance by the supervisor.

Our policy currently states that excessive absenteeism is a disciplinary offense but there is no definition of what excessive means. I know we need to revise our policy and define excessive. That is a long term objective. However, in the meantime, can individual departments define excessive based on their departmental needs? Or should all departments have the same policy on what excessive means?

Any policies out there on excessive absenteeism?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It would be an internal disaster to allow each department to define your attendance policy. Ours very simply is that excessive or unacceptable attendance is two incidents in one month. An incident is a tardy, an early left, absent or no show. Two months of unacceptable in a row causes a movement in the progressive disciplinary process.
  • I agree with Don that it would not be wise to allow different departments to set different standards for absenteeism. This would be especially difficult if the department manager does not have the authority to discharge ees. If there is only one person (decision-maker) that can do this for your facilty, this creates inconsistency. Better to define a number that is condusive to all departments. Either have a monthly number, as Don has for his facility, or come up with something that meets the need of your area.

• I CONCUR WITH BOTH! Company policy and procedures is always set by the company, however, it does become the responsibility of the Department Heads to administer the policy and program.

Do not become the "specific policy policeman/woman"! The HR is there to advise and consent and admend as necessary to make a policy and procedure work for the company. When a Department Head fails to adhere to the policy and procedures set up and approved by the company, the Department Head must stand up and be counted for his/her failed actions. Only when you see that a policy and procedure is widely overlooked, then you should muster the "guts" to bring it up for correction or elimination. if it does not work for the company then rid the company of the policy and procedure! Mkae sure you have specific documentation and proof of wide overlooking of the policy before you jump to report on the need to rid the company of the cancerous policy or procedure, be able to backup your claim or keep your mouth shut until you have the proof of failure and consequences of the failure.

PORK
  • In the meantime try this. Use a figure that is 20% above the average absence for the prior year. If you have an attendance report, back out absences that relate to workers comp and FML. Calculate the average hours or incidents. Anyone 20% above the average qualifies for 'excessive.' As long as everyone is governed by the same formula, you should be okay.
  • Our policy also includes language regarding a "pattern" of absence. This way, even if an employee does not meet the definition of leave abuse...a pattern of calling off or scheduling off every Friday is actionable.
  • My God! How in the world could you (1) come up with that, and (2) track that? But it sounds interesting.
  • You offer vacation and sick leave accrual and people are excessively absent when they take that time? If that is so be careful. Vacation is a scheduling issue and should be granted when it meets the need of the company. Discipline for sickness would be problematic if the illness qualifies for Family Leave. If your leave policies are being abused that is another matter.
  • We offer 10 sick days per year. Employees raise the question of why it may be considered excessive if they use all ten days. I go on to explain that sick time is not to be considered time off with pay, but should be looked at as 'insurance' provided by the employer. It should only be used when the employee is legitimately ill or injured.
  • We, also, offer both sick leave and vacation leave. We use the general guideline that if you run out of paid leave (except for FMLA or Military Leave purposes), you will start the corrective action policy. Easy and consistent amongst all areas as every area is different. I do tell Supervisors that vacation time should be planned at least 48 hours in advance, if at all possible, and should be approved if the dept. can afford to have them gone.
  • I agree with those above. The discipline policy should be determined for the company as a whole. We do allow the individual department managers to make departmental rules on how many people can take vacation at one time, how many people can flex their hours, etc. based upon departmental needs and resources.

We use a system based upon the number of hours missed in a rolling 12 month period with termination being at 52 unexcused hours. Then we pigy back it with an early leave/tardy policy that counts occurrences.