Hostile Work Environment????

My friend is an HR director for a company that strongly encourages car pooling. Anyone who carpools three or more days a week is eligible for a weekly drawing. One woman carpools with her male supervisor - although she has no other way to work and does not compensate him for gas, it is still considered a car pool for drawing purposes. Early this week, the woman brought salsa for everyone. For whatever reason her supervisor did not get any. So when he takes her home that night, she runs into her home to get him some. When she comes back out he is in the car pleasuring himself. She becomes aghast, he says he was just scratching himself. Later, he becomes concerned she might contact his wife, and calls and leaves a message - with no admission of guilt. Then, by caller ID account, phones her 13 more times, and comes by four times (her son was home and said he was banging on the door). Both are on paid administrative leave. The woman now says he rubs up against her at work, but she never thought anything of it until THE incident. Other co-workers say they've seen nothing odd. Does she separate them? Is it a work incident off-site? Should we suggest she get a restraining order? Is it a he-said, she said? I was stymied - advice anyone?

Comments

• 21 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Who the hell won the drawing and why is she on administrative leave, or him for that matter? How does your friend have all of this detail? Was there a complaint filed due to 'at work conduct'? Did your friend get Salsa? Did the woman have a permit to distribute that product to the public?

Was the man parallel parked or in a driveway when he supposedly commited the alleged act? That could be critical. And if he was in his own car, in private, scratching or doing whatever he pleased, is it his fault that someone walked up? Did she describe the scratching. Some people scratch oddly. Has your friend checked his medical file. Perhaps there is a disability that causes him to scratch in a contorted way.

Actually, I think your friend is batty for suspending them, unless there is evidence of a salsa or rhumba on company time and an extended dip was involved.
  • She made a workplace complaint. She said he rubs up against her. Investigate that. I would leave the other stuff out of it for now. Once I got the results of the "rubbing" investigation I would decide what I would do with the other. I may or may not use it.

I do not understand why the woman is on leave. Keep him on leave and bring her back until the investigation is complete.
  • I fail to see a complaint. Upon being questioned about all this irrelevant stuff, she comments that he rubbed up against her but never thought anything about it. That is no complaint. Where is the unwelcome piece. Where is the complaint? Where is the probing questioning following her remark? Where are the supervisor's or HR's notes regarding whether she was offended and whether in fact she thought it was incidental and were there witnesses or did she tell him to stop that or did she feel that he even knew he did it? Let's not presume to do the Lorena Bobbitt thing on the guy just yet.

If a legitimate complaint exists, properly logged and investigated, deal with it. If not, don't assume from something that was said in a bizarre conversation that it does stand up to the definition of a complaint. I think we might be looking at the wrong 'wacko jacko' here.
  • It says she never thought of it until THE complaint. I inferred, as you very often have to do on this forum, that it was now an issue.
  • Leslie, here's my take on this. There is more to this than the woman is telling. If he had been rubbing up against her AND she did not say or do anything, he may have assumed that she was receptive to his advances. Perhaps her body language, or maybe just her facial expression gave him the idea that he just may get lucky.

He knew she would be back with the salsa. Only a man who sees an opportunity would expose (ahem) himself to this predicament.

With that in mind, I would ignore everything but the statement she made about him rubbing against her and follow company procedures to investigate.
  • In the course of your investigation of the
    rubbing incidences, you should try to determine if the woman ever said "No" or "stop it".
  • >In the course of your investigation of the
    >rubbing incidences, you should try to determine
    >if the woman ever said "No" or "stop it".

Why is that important?

If I can substantiate a supervisor inappropriately touching a direct report, they are gone. I don't care who said what.

• I agree. No excuse is allowed. But let's take two different scenarios..
    a. After the first time, she turned to him and said, "don't ever do this again." or
    b. After the first time, she turned her head, smiled at him and shook her tush. (Of course, she may have done this because she was afraid she'd lose her job.

In both cases, he is still guilty of the rubbing and is terminated. However, the investigator still needs to have a complete picture of what happened (what if either ee decides to sue in the future).
    In the meantime, I do not understand why the female ee is on a leave (paid or not). Until proven otherwise, she has done nothing wrong.
  • A supervisor rubbing or touching an employee may be a violation of your particular company policy and may call for termination; however, it does not automatically or necessarily meet the legal definition of sexual harassment if there was no quid pro quo or other illegal circumstance and if she in fact invited it and participated in it and made it known to him that it was welcomed and perhaps even initiated it. Again, if it violates your company policy, terminate. But, there's a difference in illegal sexual harassment and individual company policy, no matter what we might individually think about the subject.
  • Great theoretical discussion. Bottom line, "Your fired!"
  • >Why is that important?
    >
    >
    The correct answer to question is "There is no point conducting an investigation unless you intend to get all facts." The purpose of an investigation is not support one side or another, it is not to get someone terminated, it is simply to try and find out what happened.

• 13 phone calls and 4 home visits. Sounds like the guy is a little wacked. Oh,no pun intended!!
  • Leslie - did your friend tell you the perspective of the incident from the male supervisor?
  • As others have opined, the suspension of the woman does not appear to be warranted. A more in-depth investigation is warranted - with the little bit of evidence already presented, the supervisor is placing the company at risk.

I think it is time to put the questions to him, such as the evidence of the phone calls and the other view of the "scratching." I would not take further action without interviewing him.

By the way, did she accept rides from him the next day?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-27-05 AT 01:23PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Thanks all...just a couple things:

The guy has 11 years with the company and no incidents of anything. Investigated the rubbing allegations and came up with nothing - just her statement that, at the time, she really didn't think anything of it, until she found him in the car.

The supervisor denied the rubbing, and as previously stated, said he was scratching himself during the car incident. It is strictly he said/she said. There is no substantiation of anything.

I was wrong about the time frame. This occurred last Friday, she called off on Monday, then went to HR on Tuesday.

So with nothing else to look at that actually occurred at the workplace, you say bring 'em both back?
  • I say yes. I would separate them, though. Your friend is in a tough spot because moving either one could be construed as punishment for doing nothing. I would be more inclined to move the supervisor. Sure it's not fair, but that's the breaks when you are in that position.
  • Is she still riding to and from with him?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-27-05 AT 08:19PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I think we all might agree that it is insane to send a message to employees that this is simply the easy way to 'get rid of a supervisor'. Accuse him of something that cannot be disproved, and he will be summarily transferred since he is senior to the accuser. Totally inappropriate.
  • I understand now why you complain about people commenting on your posts.

What goes with the supervisor's territory is having to potentially deal with false accusations of harassment. Everyone has to deal with it, but in my organization supervisors are held to a higher standard. In he said, she said scenarios sometimes you have to do things that aren't "fair".

Your point about ee's thinking they can now get rid of supervisors is well taken. But if you don't separate them you are going to have issues to deal with between them. I guarantee it. Either way it's not an easy choice.

It may be a moot point for her anyway. I bet that if she presents the option of moving depts or shifts, one of them is going to jump at it.
  • Okay, I sent this post on to make sure I had the facts right. There's a biggie I didn't know - when he called her and came over it was on Monday. Anyway, here's her response:

"I did find case law that says if a company sponsors off the clock off work events or functions then the company must have a policy in place regarding sexual harassment at said functions.

I have thoroughly investigated the complaint about the rubbing up against her at work. I cannot substantiate any of it - no one saw anything.

Additionally my concern was that he called her at home as her supervisor and wanted to know why she was not at work and she did not want to talk to him. Then when he went over to the house it really scared her (according to her). She actually came in to quit and wanted to tell someone why.

So at this point my thought is to bring them both back and separate them and have the plant manager keep a really close eye on the male employee.

How does that sound?"

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-28-05 AT 04:46AM (CST)[/font][br][br] >I understand now why you complain about people
    >commenting on your posts.
    >
    Ah, the real aluminum boy returns.