Handicap Parking

In a quandry, we all of a sudden have employees parking in our handicap parking spots. We have asked them to stop. However, one employee does have a handicap sticker but it is for his wife and not him. I think this is how it got started. He started parking in the handicap and others saw him so they started. I know legally he can park there but it is causing more problems. We did ask him to stop and explain it to him but he says he can legally even though the handicap sticker is for his wife. We know he can but it is causing problems. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• 22 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If he's been that unreasonable tell him you will terminate his employment the next time he disregards your order to not park there. The handicap sticker prohibits the car from being ticketed. You're not interested in ticketing him. You're interested in providing parking spots for individuals who ARE handicapped themselves. I would go to the mat on this one.
  • Why would it be legal for him to use the sticker if he DOES NOT HAVE A HANDICAPPED person with him in the vehicle that needs the access? I don't understand that, guess just another way for someone to get over. I would think the sticker would keep him from being ticketed but should only be used if a handicapped person was using the vehicle...guess only in a perfect world huh?
  • No, he doesn't have a legal right to park there. A handicap sticker is assigned to a person, not a car, and parking privileges only apply when the car is transporting that person. (You might want to verify this with your local traffic cops or DMV before you try my advice.)

I would warn all the offending employees to stop it or you'll start towing their cars without notice. Then do it. You'd need a system for Mr. Handicap Car to notify you if he ever uses the space legitimately.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Thank you James. That is what I thought...the sticker is assigned to a person, not the vehicle. My "intended" is blind and therefore has a sticker but I would NEVER think of using it if he were not with me.
  • I agree with the others that stated tell employees if they park there again...they will be terminated.

Not sure if fines apply in private lots where these people can be ticketed. If so, that would be another option. A $300-$500 fine would get their attention.

As far as the guy using his wife's handicapped status, shame on him! He does not have the right to use this sticker for himself!

• I have a very simple, yet effective policy on this. Our organization does not have assigned parking with the exception of two disabled motorist and visitor/vendor spots each.

The receptionist is my watchdog. Upon noticing an ee that parks in either of the spots (she knows when there are visitors because they sign-in and are issued badges by her) she makes an annoucement over the PA system and all department supervisors are messaged by radio.

In exactly 30 minutes, she notifies me if the offender is still there and I call the towing company. Gone in 60 seconds.

No ifs ands or buts about it. I have had to do this twice on each shift. Once the words gets out, people comply.

Gene
  • While I like the thought of firing him I would bring him in first, sit him down and give him a final written warning letting him know the next step in progressive discipline is suspension and fo rthe next offense termination. I say this assuming you have a prgressive discipline policy. If so follow it. I would also look into having the vehicles towed.........first time someone has to shell out $75.00 to get there car back.... well it is problem solved.
    My $0.02 worth,
    DJ The Balloonman
  • We have a sign above our handicapped parking spaces that illegally parked cars will be towed and it will cost $250 in cash (that's the legally authorized rate)to make to get the car out of the pound. No one ever parks illegally in those spots.
  • I guess the important issue here is educating people that the sticker is issued for the handicapped person and not the vehicle. If it is not issued to YOU you can't use it.
  • A fine would be questionable, but getting dropped from potential subjective bonus awards might also get his attention.

PORK
  • I totally agree with James. Sticker is for the handicapped person, not the vehicle.

I worked at a college once and parking was at a premium anywhere on campus. We had a constant problem with handicapped parking spaces being used by cars without handicap stickers. We posted that the cars would be towed and then we started doing so. It helped with the problem considerably.
  • Well I came into work today and he didn't park there so maybe the little talk helped. If he continues to do it I'll write him up and then if continues, I'm towing his car. Thanks for all your help.
  • In our state, the little blue cards people often hang on their mirror or lay on the dashboard are not any longer legal. Now, a vehicle must have a 'handicapped' license plate on the vehicle. And a medical doctor completes a form that must be taken to the tax assessor's office who issues the tag. But, there's no record of that with the vehicle that I know of. I could be wrong, but I don't know of a way an officer or anybody else could know upon whose disability the tag was issued. Cops surely have no right to come up to a person and say, "Hey man, hold on here, you ain't limpin'. Are you handicapped?" What gets me are these two ton mommas with nine kids in tow who tool up in their 26 year old Pontiac and park in the blue zones. And when they do, they rake the trash out of their floorboards onto the pavement.
  • If an employee is in need of handicapped parking at work, they must fill out a form with our security dept. A copy of the card supporting the handicapped sticker/flag on the car is made.

This does not give a diagnosis or reason for the parking need (nor do we ask)...we allow the state dept. of transportation to sort through all that. If you're reason was good enough for them, it's good enough for us!

• Now that is a vivid picture.xclap
  • Don, if your state no longer issues the little blue markers, but just the license plates, doesn't that mean that it's issued to the vehicle rather than the person? The blue markers are portable, which makes sense if the designation applies to an individual, not the vehicle. Just curious.
  • In Mississippi, if you look closely, you will notice that every license plate is attached to the vehicle with only one screw. That is because they cost so much and are, in effect, portable. Same with a trailer tag. I have three trailers; utility, boat, motorcycle...and only one tag since I'm only using one at a time. But, don't let this out!
  • In public and private facilities, I believe the number of handicapped parking places is part of local building codes. Talk to your facilities engineer. These same codes probably require the property owner/leasor to enforce the handicap signage.

In Louisville, KY it is common for businesses to have people towed for parking in handicapped spots.

But then, we can afford 2 screws for our license plates, but not all those rec vehicles.
  • >But then, we can afford 2 screws for our license >plates, but not all those rec vehicles.

Are you saying that healthy people who park in handicap spaces suffer from loose screws?
  • Does anyone know the number of spaces that a manufacturing facility must have? Everything I read relates to shopping malls or other public parking lots.
  • We're a manufacturing facility and actually we don't have any. We also have several sets of steps at each door that must be negotiated and no ramps. If we were building today, this would be unacceptable per the standards.

• "What gets me are these two ton mommas with nine kids in tow who tool up in their 26 year old Pontiac and park in the blue zones. And when they do, they rake the trash out of their floorboards onto the pavement."

Hey Don -- that surely sounds like a handicap (multiple, even) to me. LOL