term'd manager upset

Yesterday we terminated a 23 year manager. It was ugly, but necessary. We were all worried about his behavior (due to previous outbursts), but he handled himself somewhat well and left. He has since sent an email to our president asking for help. Stating he deserved better, blaming everyone but himself, never acknowledging his own faults...you get the picture.
I'm being asked to type up the response (joy) and we plan to go over it this afternoon. I feel some sort of response is needed as he is upset and ignorning him will only fuel the fire.
What say you? I want to make it short and concise. Something along the lines of "it's unfortunate but the decision has been made..etc."
I do not want to go over any performance issues (for various reasons). Besides, a great boss once told me "whatever you write, make sure you are comfortable with it being displayed on a 8x8 screen in a courtroom!"
Thx

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would rather put time and energy into employees that currently employed. If your president wants to respond, I'd let him make that decision. I would make it short and simple. "Dear A-hole, I am fully aware of the situation regarding your termination and fully support the decision made by my staff. Good luck in all future endeavors." Just make sure those statements are true before he sends the response.
  • Your last sentence sums it up. Remember that two of the biggest mistakes employers make are failure to document, and changing reasons for the termination after the fact, so if you do anything, make sure it is the reason that you'll stick to through the (potential) court battle. Now is not the time to 'make nice' with the guy to try to sooth his feelings. "There were good business reasons for the decision, which were discussed with you yesterday." Good Luck
  • Question-what do you want to accomplish in the response that was not accomplished when you terminated the manager. It appears the manager obviously doesn't want to believe he was terminated and is hoping the president will rehire him.
  • the email was addressed to our president and he has asked me to draft a response, which will be 3 sentences at most. The employee started off the letter by saying "I don't know if you know about this but I was fired today."
    We had another employee who constantly called and contacted us until someone responded to her. I guess he's thinking of her and trying to nip this in the bud.

• In that case, I would give a very pithy response from the president "Yes, I knew."

• I agree with most. The worst thing you can do at this point is give the appearance that you are trying to justify your decision.

A crefully worded acknowledgement to the termed manager's email would be the ticket. Whatever you do, do not discuss the details of the separation itself.

Gene
  • "I was made aware of the decision to end your employment relationship with XYZ effective (date). After a thorough and careful review of the facts and circumstances, I support the decision that was made and feel that it is in the best interest of both parties. Thank you for your contributions to XYZ in the past and I wish you the best in future endeavors."

No matter what venue he presents this memo in (EEOC, UI, Attorney), it will do nothing to support any allegation of unfairness or mistreatment that may be made. By design, it includes no underlying facts, no accusations, no details and no reason for termination. All it does is say, "I know you were terminated and am OK with it."

• Thx Don. That's pretty much what I had, but you made it sound a little smoother.
  • Don do you see no harm in thanking him for past contributions? Would it be better to just say as the second part of the last sentence says...I wish you well etc.?
  • I think it's a fairly benign remark that will perhaps sway him from 'terribly excited' to 'somewhat comforted'. It will give him some sense of value even in the face of termination. I've used it a hundred times and never has it been dredged up to support a complainant.

And even if it were to come up later, the CEO could gain huge ground by telling a jury or hearing officer, "Why, yes, certainly, we view all of our employees as contributors, even those with whom we must part ways eventually."

• Thanks Don and Dasher, I see your point.
  • It is always nice to thank those who have served us. Even "terminated" employees have feelings. If he was a supervisor and worked for 23 years I am sure he contributed something to the company.
  • the guy was here for 23 years. Obviously there are positive contributions he's made over the years. Just lately they've been more negative than positive, but the response doesn't acknowledge positive or not, just "contributions". I would think that is a fair and just statement.
    He came in today to take care of insurance and stuff and was visibly shaking. Ugghh. It was awful.
  • SNIP ".....After a thorough and careful review of
    >the facts and circumstances, I support the
    >decision that was made and feel that it is in
    >the best interest of both parties." SNIP

If I were the CEO I would not want this one hanging on my neck like a pork chop waiting for the presa canarios. The only caveat here, of course, is if the CEO truly did conduct a thourough review and he/she supports it and is willing to say so under oath.

I myself, prefer to keep my CEO out of this type of limelight.

Gene
  • The CEO is the one who asked her to draft the response for him Gene. Pay attention.
  • I like DonD's suggested response for the most part-- it responds to the unhappy ex-EE's concerns by reaffirming the decision to terminate him-- without getting into any rehash of the reasons for the decisions. The 1 thing I might add to the parting good wishes is something to the effect that "our hope that, as a result of this transition you will in the near future find yourself in a position that is a better fit for your capabilities."

While terminations are basic business decisions, and have to happen occasionally, I'm always concerned to make the parting with as little bitterness as possible. An angry, bitter, disgruntled former EE is not only a potential source of lawsuits, but they're also out there badmouthing the organization to others (which doesn't help your rep as an employer), and, in most cases, they still have personal contacts within your organization and can/will use those to stir up discontent among your remaining staff to the extent that they're walking away angry and with a grudge. As an employer, I think it only helps our interests to come across as fair, caring, and understanding even in a termination situation. "You're being terminated" conveys the necessary message just as clearly when spoken in a gentle and caring tone.

>"I was made aware of the decision to end your
    >employment relationship with XYZ effective
    >(date). After a thorough and careful review of
    >the facts and circumstances, I support the
    >decision that was made and feel that it is in
    >the best interest of both parties. Thank you for
    >your contributions to XYZ in the past and I wish
    >you the best in future endeavors."
    >
    >No matter what venue he presents this memo in
    >(EEOC, UI, Attorney), it will do nothing to
    >support any allegation of unfairness or
    >mistreatment that may be made. By design, it
    >includes no underlying facts, no accusations, no
    >details and no reason for termination. All it
    >does is say, "I know you were terminated and am
    >OK with it."

• I would not respond. If you think its absolutely necessary to acknowledge his email to the CEO, it should come from the CEO and simply state, "Thank you for your inquiry. The company's decision regarding your employment is final and there is no need for further dialogue." Sincerely, MR. CEO
  • ok, to put this one to rest. The letter came from the president and basically stated what was in Don's post, give or take a few words.
    We felt it best to respond in some form, although some of you said to ignore it. All a matter of opinion. Thanks for your comments.

• Believe the line of least resistance is best. Don's response was perfect. Acknowledge this happened, the decision has been made and good luck in the future.

The more you say, the more trouble you can get into (especially in writing).