Career Fairs: Who mans the booth?

Perhaps this is a strange question, but I hope I get some replies...
We are just beginning to participate in Career Fairs at colleges, etc. to recruit new graduate nurses, counselors, social workers, etc. But, there is a difference of opinion as to who would be the best person to man our agency's booth!

As the HR Manager, I think it's HR's responsibility because we (hopefully) have the legal knowledge of what can and can't be said, etc. when talking to potential applicants. We know the screening/application/interview process hands-down and can do it most efficiently.

However, Administration thinks that when we're recruiting nurses, a nurse should be at the booth, counseling, a counselor, and so on... This is so that they can talk "peer-to-peer" giving a realistic view of the job. That's scary territory to me -- more of an employee's "opinion" of what it's like.

What am I to think of this? Am I off base?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Be thankful that others think someone should assist you in this process. I've participated in these things for 30 years. It's quite a relief to have the technical or professional person in the booth to handle all the minutia passed back and forth between prospect and company. This may be a fun thing for you today, but, believe me, in three years, you'll be begging somebody to either take the booth or go with you.

• I'm the HR director at a residential school for special needs kids. Like you, we employ nurses and counselors as well as teachers, houseparents, and many other types of positions that provide direct services to students. The way I've done college career fairs is me plus one direct service manager. Works well. If we could spare just one person to go, I would send a direct service manager, because they know more than I do about the the jobs but they do all their own interviewing so also they know that aspect of HR.
  • There should be two people 'manning' (generic term) the booth. There will be times when an applicant tries to monopolize your time and you will have other patrons. It would be a blessing to have others at the booth.

Your concern is that the other professionals don't possess the legal background or knowledge of your recruitment process. If you have time, give them a crash course on discrimination and interviewing; that is, if you intend to do 'instant interviews.'
  • I agree with Whirlwind for the most part. When I did job/career fairs I went and always tried to take another manager. The problem I encountered was the manager trying to monopolize the potential applicants for their department. Communicate to the manager the other positions that are available. The point of a job fair is to attract applicants not employees. If you are interested in a particular person encourage them to apply or leave their resume -- then follow your organization's process for interviewing. Agree with Don these can be VERY tiring so if someone wants to go let them go with you.

• I have been one of those "applicants" at a career fair. I can tell you that it was annoying to me to stop by a booth and get a standard this is our company and here is an application. If I did have technical questions, (or what the minimum qualifications were as it relates to the job. What some of the specific duties would be) it was frustrating that the person couldn't answer them. Makes the Co. look bad. I say take the expert along with you.