Setting Up A Performance Review Program

We are in the process of dumping our old review system and starting fresh.

I'm looking to get some great advice! Any comments, suggestions, policies, procedures, templates, will be greatly appreciated since basically I'm starting from the ground up.

The two things that we have decided are:
-there will be just a yearly review
-we would like to have info on the form be job specific

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Nietra

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am not sure what you are looking for but one of the things we do with our Performance Reviews is to take the job description we have created and 'dump' it into the Performance Review form. We then have a seperate section that deals with dependability, reliability, leadership etc. (the professional assets.) We are revising our review process also and we are looking at the supervisor making notes throughout the year with a quarterly review of the notes. These notes will be used to complete the performance review form. We are having trouble with supervisors rating employees on the last couple of months and not considering the entire year, which is why we are looking at changing our procedures. Have a good day!
  • We just revised our Perf Review Program. The old form was job specific and, after the first year of use, EVERYONE hated it - employees, supervisors and HR. It was very detailed (and therefore very long) and had to be revised continuously as duties and technology changed. My guidance - be very careful how specific the form is allowed to be.

On a positive note, we just used the new form for the first time in November 2004. It was very well received and no one hates it yet. This form has general categories and is used for everything from clerical, building maintenance, engineers and police officers.

If you change your mind and want to look at a general form, let me know and I'd be happy to share by email.
  • Prepare for a landslide, DB, and heaven help you. I'd love to see your form. Could you please e-mail it to [email]lkuehn@rpm-composites.com[/email]?

JAMES, et al - How are we coming on posting forms? :>)
  • DB, I'd love to see a copy of your new form if you would be so kind as to email it to me at [email]carole.owen@bgfh.com[/email]

Thanks, Carole
  • I would like a copy of the form you use. Send email to [email]dbaker@detroit.lib.mi.us[/email]
    Thanks
  • Please email your form to me at [email]westbroc@lubricationengineers.com[/email]
  • Please e-mail me too
    [email]hr@informed-llc.com[/email]
    Thanks
  • I have just done this myself although we have not finished the approval process -- I got some great ideas from some forum posters and the SHRM website. If you send me your email address I will send you a copy of the form. Thanks and good luck!!
  • Thank You so much for your offer. I sent you an email.

• My email address is [email]dbaker@detroit.lib.mi.us[/email]

Thanks
  • Thanks for everyone's offer for help.

Basically what I am looking for is any advice on starting a new Performance Review Process. Since we are starting from scratch and only have the 2 set ideas in our heads we can pretty much go anywhere.

We recently bought Knowledge Points Performance Impact and while I like the database and goal tracking features they really oversold the actual forms and intregration with Descriptions Now.

All of our job descriptions were created with Descriptions Now and the information I read on Performance Impact made it sound like we could link back to the description and it would create a job specific review, I haven't found this to be the case.

Other info that I was hoping to receive advice on would be training supervisors so as to have somewhat "fair" reviews. Info on 360 degree reviews and how they have worked for your company. Also, do you base your raises on your reviews? And if so, what weights do you use?

Sorry, I should have been more specific to begin with.

Nietra
  • Nietra:

We do a yearly Performance Review (on ee anniversary date) it is NOT job specific. However, we have the ee fill out a "Self-Evaluation" form before we do the review with them. This gives them the opportunity to point out their accomplishemnts, where they feel they can improve, etc. It has been well received since we started it 6 months ago. Good Luck.
    scorpio
  • I would never have a review system that is job specific. I think you can deal with job specific issues in the review, but I would not have a different form for every job. Our reviews are based on how our ee's meet our expectations in the following areas: job knowledge and performance, interpersonal skills and team skills. Each section has a few sub-sections of specific expectations. Whew, say that three times fast.
  • Sorry to be jumping in a little late here, but DB & others, if you've got forms you think would be helpful, send me a copy and we'll post it through the Documents section.

Brad Forrister
    VP/Content
    M. Lee Smith Publishers

• I use a job specific evaluation that is developed from the job description along with a section that is general and addresses such things as job knowledge, team work, professionalism, communication etc. Each item in each section is scored 1 to 5 with any scoring out side of a 3 needs to have brief documentation to explain why the rating is above or below the average. We have used this evaluation tool for about two years. There were some complaints at first, but this form of evaluation has shown many of the supervisors the value when we need to discipline or dismiss an employee. Additionally, I do training on using this evaluation at least once per year and I try to get two trainings in per year. The evaluation is done on the anniversary date of hire or if the employee has changed jobs on the anniversary of that position. Initially, I require a 90 day evaluation using the same tool for new hires or someone in a new position, after that the evaluation is annual. In my training, I enforce the practice of each supervisor having an employee file where they document good performance along with issues throughout the year and emphasize the use of this file to get the "big" picture during the evaluation. I have found this process to work well.