Too weird - what to do?

We have an employee in a professional, exempt position similar to sales. He works out of a small office in a city several hours away from his manager. Since Sept, his performance has been down - not meeting goals, etc. In the last 2 weeks, he's missed 2 important meetings with clients, & last week, he stopped returning phone calls (manager's & clients'). He hasn't been in his office. We've had 7 complaints from clients in the last week & have no record of any productive work in the last 2 weeks. Yesterday, he missed a 3rd important meeting, so we decided to terminate, but we can't make contact with him. His manager left him a message on his cell, home, & fax that it was mandatory that he call him by 10:00 this morning.

No phone call - but he did send an e-mail this morning that said "I am in the hospital. I can't give you much more information than that right now."

I think this is weird - if he can send an e-mail, then he can certainly pick up the phone & call his manager. He's not protected under FMLA because he works from a very small location & hasn't been with us a year anyway. I'm inclined to terminate him by certified letter, either for performance issues or for job abandonment; either one works for me. I know it seems cold-hearted to terminate someone *supposedly* in the hospital one week before Christmas, but he's made no effort to let his manager know what's going on. I don't think his e-mail should change our decision to terminate with cause. What do you think?

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Whether or not he is covered by FMLA, ask for a certificate of health from his physician. If he can email from a hospital - it can't be that serious that he has his laptop with him. But that is just speculation. If he doesn't provide you the certificate within 24-48 hours, terminate for job abandonment - failure to notify manager of absence - and failure to report for mandatory work related meetings.

Missing three client meetings is unacceptable. I would terminate based off of that alone.
  • You know, if I hadn't heard from an employee for a week I would be concerned that there was a problem unrelated to his work.

I assume when you made the decision to terminate him there would be some effort to do it on a "face-to-face" basis. And if you're willing to go there to fire him, why not go there to find out what the problem is?

At this point you should find out what his circumstances are (a physicians statement is an excellent idea) and make your decision. Its not a good idea to reach your conclusion prior to having some information from his point of view.

• Ee is responsible to notify the Er when they are unable to come into work.

Missing 3 client meeting is unacceptable as JM in Atl stated that would be grounds for termination.

• Lets see, employee has not come to work, or done their job........ does not follow procedures for notifying anyone they will be gone. HHHmmmm
    Fire them for job abandonment. You can always undo a termination if suddenly you found there was a valid reason for this behavior. But it is not like this has occurred for just one day. Two weeks of it. Fire him, bet he calls after he signs for that letter.
    My $0.02 worth,
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I am not sure if your post suggests going to the hospital to fire the individual, i.e., "face-to-face." But if it does, I would caution against that course of action even if the ER has a clean kill on terminating the ee's employment.

Face-to-face termination at any location other than the place of employment may buy the ER a lawsuit for outrageous conduct. Recently, we had that misfortune where the managers drove to a family members' house where the ee was allegedly recuperating from an alleged heart attack. The managers handed the ee his employment termination notice. As you can imagine, we shelled out six figure sums for attorneys to defend the lawsuit and the jury made us pay out five-figures b/c it did not like the termination at a family members home.
  • Definately job abandonment. If he is really in the hospital, if he for some reason could not call supervisor, wasn't there someone who could? Is he married? The spouse should notify employer if ee can not.
  • I am with the "terminate him for job abandonment" crew. If he was well enough to type out an e-mail, he was well enough to call his Manager.
    scorpio
  • I agree. No need to speculate. That's wasted motion. Terminate immediately and, if you want to, advise by certified mail. No need to do that if that's not your normal procedure. Forget the speculation as to what might be wrong with him, if anything. It's irrelevant if he's not FMLA covered. If he's this elusive and vague, he ain't gonna sell the company's products anyway, ever.
  • I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I'd make some attempt to find out what happened. Actually, I'd have done that last week when he stopped returning phone calls. HR people are supposed to go by "just the facts, ma'am" but I would want to know if there were extenuating circumstances. However, you're well within reason to terminate now.
  • "No phone call - but he did send an e-mail this morning that said "I am in the hospital. I can't give you much more information than that right now."

That would be enough! Unless he is the owner of the company, termination letter would be in the mail.

• You have a business to run. It is hard enough to do without someone in a revenue generating position to be missing client meetings and not communicating with chain of command so alternate arrangements can be made. This does sound like job abandonment and while I am suspicious about the seeming mystery of it all, the FML card does not play here so I think you dodged that bullet.

Time of the year should not matter. HR does have lots of responsibility with the EE, but the ultimate responsibility is to protect and preserve the ER.
  • I saw that movie. Poor guy got hit in the head, wandered the streets of days not knowing who, nor where he was. Finally gets picked up for vagrancy, and a sympathetic nurse takes it upon herself to help him find out who he is - and just as they find out, his boss fires him! Merry Christmas! (I'd a fired him the second day I couldn't reach him or the second meeting he missed.) His sgtory may have curiosity value, but that's it. And if he ends up with a credible version of the movie, well..then you can decide.
  • I agree with the others to term for job abandonment. But there could be a valid reason for his being able to e-mail but not call. He didn't say what type of hospital he was in, did he? He could have checked himself into a drug/alcohol rehab facility or mental health institution. I know some do not allow outside contact (or limit it severely) especially during the initial phase of treatment, but maybe he received permission from his provider to send an e-mail - with e-mail he wouldn't get into a "conversation", he could just say he was in the hospital and that was that.

• >We have an employee in a professional, exempt
    >position similar to sales. He works out of a
    >small office in a city several hours away from
    >his manager. Since Sept, his performance has
    >been down - not meeting goals, etc. In the last
    >2 weeks, he's missed 2 important meetings with
    >clients, & last week, he stopped returning phone
    >calls (manager's & clients'). He hasn't been in
    >his office. We've had 7 complaints from clients
    >in the last week & have no record of any
    >productive work in the last 2 weeks.
    >Yesterday, he missed a 3rd important meeting, so
    >we decided to terminate, but we can't make
    >contact with him. His manager left him a
    >message on his cell, home, & fax that it was
    >mandatory that he call him by 10:00 this
    >morning.

I'm also kind of curious about his manager. Prior to September was the ee a good, average, poor performer? From your post it seems the most positve action the manager took was to say "call me or else!"
  • Update on Too Weird:

We decided to terminate for job abandonment. Before we could get that letter into the mail, he sent another e-mail saying he was in alcohol treatment, couldn't use a phone, & needed to be off until the middle of Jan, with some mumbo-jumbo about federal regulations (so I know he's getting some sort of counsel.) I could kick myself for not getting that letter in the mail before I found out about the alcohol treatment. Never-the-less, our lawyer is looking it over & we intend to terminate as soon as we get our ducks in a row. Problem is, our lawyer believes his 2nd e-mail must be treated like a request for accommodation -to which the answer is "no."

ADA or not, this guy didn't make any attempt to contact us until his wife got wind that his manager was leaving him messages. As far as I'm concerned, job abandonment is not a reasonable accommodation.

And as for his manager, he's to blame for some of this. So we'll have to deal with that next. Thanks for your input.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-21-04 AT 05:47AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Kathi: The company farted around and didn't terminate when you could/should have. Now you are stuck with this situation, period. You are correct that 'job abandonment is not a reasonable accomodation'. But, what he has done falls within the parameters of the ADA, now that you waited and did nothing when you should/could have.

The only salvation for you is to put an attendance policy violation response in motion showing that he clearly violated policy and one for which others have been terminated.

Good luck and please resolve in the new year to not procrastinate.

-=-=-=-=-
    (edit)

I've reevaluated my position. The treatment program that he's checked into may save both his life and his career. In 30 days or so, and thereafter, he may turn out to be the best investment you've ever made. We don't just throw people away when they develop problems, do we?

I've never 'been there', but, can imagine that when one hits rock bottom and makes a decision that large, to check oneself in, it takes control of everything in your world and all you have on your mind is getting help and being wrapped in the unimaginable comfort of believing there's light at tunnel's end. Maybe that's where he was mentally. Give him a chance. If it doesn't work out, then consider termination.

Isn't this precisely the kind of situation where we would make an EAP referral? Only he made his own.
  • Don!?

You remind me of the Grinch. Your heart must've grown 3 sizes today.....
  • I was afraid to say anything for fear of Don's wrath, but we are currently going through a situation with an alcoholic employee. I was referred to the below website by a friend who has been sober for more than 18 months. It is Alcoholics Anonymous's "big book", and this specifically is the chapter for employers.

[url]http://www.recovery.org/aa/bigbook/ww/chapter_10.html[/url]

It was very enlightening for me - it talks about things that we should and shouldn't consider doing for our employees. It is kind of long, but fast reading.
  • OK - this will make a good discussion - this is an example of how a common, solvable problem can quickly escalate into a huge problem before your very eyes, with potential huge costs to the company. Don - you're right - we dilly-dallied around bacause the manager was doing a power play against HR, & I was too nice, giving his boss time to work it out. This EE has been on my radar screen for 4 months because his manager had a woman in the exact same position with the exact same poor performance. She was put on a quota & termed for not meeting it. He was never put on a quota. I challenged his manager on why, told him to either term the EE or put him on the exact same quota as the woman, & this has been an ongoing debate between me & the manager, as well as his boss. So I'm graciously avoiding the "I told you so" for now, while I try to salvage this situation & avoid an ADA complaint against the company. I'm a naturally tender-hearted person, so I'm all for giving people a chance (& after all, its the holidays). Problem here is:

1) He's only been with us for 8 months & his performance has never been good. (Unfortunately, no quota is documented.)

2) EE sent 3 e-mails from the hospital to his manager & in not one of them does he acknowledge what date he went in for treatment, how long he needs off, who's going to cover for him while he's gone, how much PTO does he have, will he get paychecks, will he have a job when he gets back, does he still have insurance, etc - all the things a responsible person would take care of. Even if he was such a mess before he went in, wouldn't the responsible thing be to ask some questions about your job situation, now that he's communicating with his manager?

3) In the e-mail where he tells his manager that he's in treatment, he also tells his manager that he does not have his permission to tell anyone else about it & tries to quote some federal HIPAA regulations. That means that as far as he knows, no one else knows he's gone & he has made no contact with HR to arrange a leave, to provide certification, etc.

4) In his position, he's dependent upon clients being referred to him for services. That's based on maintaining relationships. He's burned bridges now, so he won't get any clients referred to him if he were to come back. (They already told us they won't use him.) That means we can bring him back to his job, but he won't get any work, & then if we terminate him, we've still opened ourself up to a retaliation claim.

So as it stands, our lawyer is planning on having to defend us no matter what, & I'm looking for the least damaging way out of this mess. (And this manager is on my hit list...that's bad for him.) Sigh......

• The way I see it you need to term him and be prepared to defend why it is not reasonable to allow him time off to recover. I think you have what you need, just put it together and take one last look. An attorney review wouldn't hurt.